• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plum finishing?

My Bulgarian AK-74 parts kit has 3 completely different finishes. The butt has a nice plum finish, the upper hand grip looks dark mahogany and the lower grip looks like a partially stripped plum finish. Would like to get them looking like they might belong on the same rifle. This is my first AK furniture job and I am from the old school of strip, stain, multi-coats of BLO and a nice wax job. Any suggestions for this Bulgarian AK furniture?

Usually when advertisers say plum furniture they're refering to polymer. If you've got a wood stock set its not gonna look plum at all.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Bulgarian wood stocks are actually three different kinds of wood. Why? I have no idea and yes it does look odd. The buttstock looks like maple, the upperhandguard is laminate and the lower handguard is walnut. You could try to unify the colors with walnut stain since the lower handguard is itself walnut and the darkest.

The Bulgarian set I got from Apex has a laminate upper handguard but all the finish has the same honey brown type color. The only thing I always noticed was the odd looking light tan/pink colored plastic pistol grip that always seems to show up with kits and stock sets.

Some bulgarian stocks are painted plum. Is it polymer or painted wood? If it's painted, you can strip it and refinish it to your liking.

Bulgy and Russian plum polymer furniture is beautiful, IMO. The Russian plum has a very deep hue to it that is intoxicating.

Back
Top Bottom