• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plinking Question

Can i go plinking out in the woods assuming im atleast 500 feet away from any dwelling and 150 ft away from a road? What about if its public land, like the woods behind my house (I assume that would be town property)

Finding plinking spots in this state is hard, if not impossible... although I'm not
familiar with western ma, so your options may open up considerably. The
important thing is to know whose land you're standing on.

It's easier to find and join a range/club that allows plinking than it is to find
a safe plinking spot. A few years ago me and a friend wanted to go
shooting but our regular club had its range closed that day... so we did
a bit of off roading... problem was every good spot we found, there
were ATVs and dirtbikes buzzing around it like a bunch of flies on a fresh
cow pie. (Any sand pit is great to shoot in, problem is ATVers etc love that
crap, too).

-Mike

Be sure of your target, and what is behind it, for a mile or two (really.)
I'm afraid that the town dumps and gravel pits of our mis-spent youth are largely a fond memory.
The sounds of gunfire, nowadays, are likely to involve an official response from the police.

I'd been wondering the same thing. When I walk through certain town woods, there is evidence of plinking from times long past... e.g. rusty junk cars full of bullet holes. Someone had fun there long ago. But, I'm sure it's too late for me.

Around 8-10 years ago I was with a friend in Plymouth and we were plinking with 22s near some certain power lines.
As we were shooting at playing card in the sand we heard somebody else shooting somewhere on the other side of the road.
After around a half hour we looked down the hill to see that there were about six police cars around my parked car.
We sat at the top of the hill trying to decide if we should go down and instead decided to finish our last box of ammo.
We walked down the hill and up to the police with our rifles in their cases.
We could see that they were arresting one of two hippies. There was a Luger sitting on the trunk of their car.
As we walked up to the police, an officer asked us if we had FID cards. My friend showed him his FID and I showed my LTC and he said "Thanks. Sorry if we're blocking your car, I'll move it in a moment. This guy doesn't have a license and were taking him to jail."
I said "Take your time, we're in no hurry"
The police took the guy away to the pokey and never told us we couldn't or even shouldn't be shooting there.
And while they never told us we couldn't, we never went back.

Times change in only a little while.

Giordano said he favors regulating the shooting pit, but adds hunting should be allowed to continue in the town forest.

He knows to take precautions and wear hunter's orange or a safety vest when they enter the forest during the hunting season in the fall.

"I don't want to infringe on the rights of the hunters," he said

I love how this guy kisses the Fudd's collective A** so that they won't complain if plinking/target shooting gets outlawed.

Back
Top Bottom