• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Please school me on 357 Short Barrel Loads

HarryPottar

NES Member
Hi All,

Once again I'm back to lean on the brain trust that is NES.

I treated myself to an 8 shot, Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 627, with a 2.625 barrel length.

I'm already reloading both 38 Special and 357 Magnum for my 8 shot, 5 inch barreled Smith & Wesson Model 327 TRR8

I see that there is ammoniation made specifically for shot barrels, what makes a short barrel load? I assume just less powder or is it different powder (faster burning).

I use Titegroup on my 38 Specials and Lil' Gun on the 357 Magnum loads currently for the TRR8, apart from the tight group being a little dirty it works out quite well.

What can you expect from a short barrel load vs normal load and is it worth making separate loads?

Thanks in advance.

Harry

From all of my reading they use faster powders to get a proper burn. That being said faster powders won't give top velocities especially with heavier bullets.
Federal has a new deep seated HST 38 Special +P. Looks like they took a 38 cal HST with a big ol hollow point and seated it flush with the case mouth ala wadcutter. They claim is gives a better burn which makes sense. That's some tricky territory though. Deep setting can cause some serious pressure spikes real fast.
Another issue is most of the modern manuals don't list a lot of the faster powders for magnum loads. Not that they won't work but they're not optimal for it. I would check back on some older manuals for some Bullseye loads to see what you can work up to.
A chrono would be a great tool to see if you're getting the speed you need/want. Also remember that expanding bullets are meant to work at certain speeds and if you don't hit those speeds you might as well use a FMJ.
So I guess it all comes down to the intended use. Are you hitting paper and just want a big fireball and some recoil? Or do you want accuracy?

From all of my reading they use faster powders to get a proper burn. That being said faster powders won't give top velocities especially with heavier bullets.
Federal has a new deep seated HST 38 Special +P. Looks like they took a 38 cal HST with a big ol hollow point and seated it flush with the case mouth ala wadcutter. They claim is gives a better burn which makes sense. That's some tricky territory though. Deep setting can cause some serious pressure spikes real fast.
Another issue is most of the modern manuals don't list a lot of the faster powders for magnum loads. Not that they won't work but they're not optimal for it. I would check back on some older manuals for some Bullseye loads to see what you can work up to.
A chrono would be a great tool to see if you're getting the speed you need/want. Also remember that expanding bullets are meant to work at certain speeds and if you don't hit those speeds you might as well use a FMJ.
So I guess it all comes down to the intended use. Are you hitting paper and just want a big fireball and some recoil? Or do you want accuracy?

Given all these factors, how much can you push a .357 snub past a .38 +P snub?

Hi All,

Once again I'm back to lean on the brain trust that is NES.

I treated myself to an 8 shot, Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 627, with a 2.625 barrel length.

I'm already reloading both 38 Special and 357 Magnum for my 8 shot, 5 inch barreled Smith & Wesson Model 327 TRR8

I see that there is ammoniation made specifically for shot barrels, what makes a short barrel load? I assume just less powder or is it different powder (faster burning).

I use Titegroup on my 38 Specials and Lil' Gun on the 357 Magnum loads currently for the TRR8, apart from the tight group being a little dirty it works out quite well.

What can you expect from a short barrel load vs normal load and is it worth making separate loads?

Thanks in advance.

Harry

It's mostly a gimmick to get people with short-barrel revolvers to buy their ammo over other brands. But they do use powder with chemicals to reduce the flash.

The only things that matter w/r/t performance is bullet weight and velocity. Compare yours (or anyone's) to the "special" ammo. Who cares how much powder is burned when if the results are the same?

This might give you an idea of what velocity loss you could expect. I'm not sure if any of these cartridges are specific to short barrel loads but I bet you can find more up to date info. I think lucky gunner did an article on it too.

Thanks, I will buy some retail short barrel ammo and chronograph that against my normal loads next weekend through the 2.625 barrel and see what it yields.

I did find this on 44 specials short barrel vs long.

Harry

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom