Please help to I.D part

Laderbuilt

NES Member
Well I’ve gone and done a bad thing. I recently picked up an ultrasonic cleaner and like a kid with a new toy I began to clean my guns.
I did several guns. Two shields one 9mm and one .45. As well as a Sig P250 and a Ruger Sr45.
When I went to empty the tank and found two small parts under the tray.
I’ve been searching online to Identify the part with no luck. I am hoping someone may know what it is and what gun it came from. I did each pistol one at a time but never noticed these till the end. I’ve tested each gun and they each work fine.
I appreciate your help in advance.

Attachments

• F8BE338C-D7F9-4C24-A456-7C0A8EF00796.jpeg
    F8BE338C-D7F9-4C24-A456-7C0A8EF00796.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 474
  • 94084767-E873-4C27-B039-48C8E437BAD8.jpeg
    94084767-E873-4C27-B039-48C8E437BAD8.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 314
  • 85886F61-FE8D-4374-BDBF-460A15C37F9C.jpeg
    85886F61-FE8D-4374-BDBF-460A15C37F9C.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 306
Doesn’t seem to go to that. Everything is acounted for in what diagram I can fine of the firing pin.
I have tested all pistols with ammunition they all fire and cycle etc.

Stupid Question:

Did you buy the Ultrasonic cleaner new or used, and if new is it possible it was repackaged and returned to where you bought it. (maybe with the unknown parts?)
Did you get it through Amazon?
Maybe the last user cleaned a gun with it, didn't notice the ejected parts, took the gun to the range and it failed? So he wiped it down and sent it back thinking it broke his gun.
I've found that people will return things to Amazon that they have broken or lost parts to and if box is in good enough shape, it is shipped to the next buyer as is...

I researched both those parts on all the guns you cleaned (using exploded parts views) and they came back no match.

Also, you said that you found those 2 parts under the tray. Had you inspected that area when you received the cleaner and they weren't there then. Were they only found after YOU used it?

Lastly, does the spring fit over the pin end of other piece?

~Matt

Last edited:
Stupid Question:

Did you buy the Ultrasonic cleaner new or used, and if new is it possible it was repackaged and returned to where you bought it. (maybe with the unknown parts?)
Did you get it through Amazon?
Maybe the last user cleaned a gun with it, didn't notice the ejected parts, took the gun to the range and it failed? So he wiped it down and sent it back.
I've found that people will return things to Amazon that they have broken or lost parts to and if box is in good enough shape, it is shipped to the next buyer as is...

I researched both those parts on all the guns you cleaned (using exploded parts views) and they came back no match.

Also, you said that you found those 2 parts under the tray. Had you inspected that area when you received the cleaner and they weren't there then. Were they only found after YOU used it?

Lastly, does the spring fit over the pin end of other piece?

~Matt

I did purchase thru Amazon, I didn’t see those in there before use and it didn’t appear used. While it’s possible they where stuck to something and I never saw them it’s doubtful.
Yes the spring does fit over the post and seems to be a good fit I just can’t say for certainty that they do belong together.
I was excited to try out the sonic so I did this after a 14hr shift and an hour ride home. So I was tired and probably shouldn’t have been dealing with small parts.
I took the slide apart on each gun I cleaned I also removed the trigger assemblies in. It’s the Sig and the 9mm shield.
I’m normally pretty good at this game but not this time.

and we need to clean guns in an ultrasonic cleaner because.....
Simply because I could and I have a crap ton of things to clean and was hoping it would save me time.
While the parts and things came out super clean and I did save time. I have now lost a day of time in trying to solve this question. Lol

They make the Sig a full semi automatic and you're going to jail.
I won’t lie I was worried about something silly like that. So I only loaded each mag with three rounds at a time and fired them, they seem to work as they should. I tested in hopes one would malfunction and then I could dig into solely that make and model and see if I could figure it out.

I did purchase thru Amazon, I didn’t see those in there before use and it didn’t appear used. While it’s possible they where stuck to something and I never saw them it’s doubtful.
Yes the spring does fit over the post and seems to be a good fit I just can’t say for certainty that they do belong together.
I was excited to try out the sonic so I did this after a 14hr shift and an hour ride home. So I was tired and probably shouldn’t have been dealing with small parts.
I took the slide apart on each gun I cleaned I also removed the trigger assemblies in. It’s the Sig and the 9mm shield.
I’m normally pretty good at this game but not this time.

This was an excellent reply. So, you detail stripped all the slides. Did you then put all those loose parts in the cleaner? After cleaning you reassembled the slides and then test fired or only ran functionality drills to test operation? If you have not test-fired, I would suggest not doing so at this point.

The concave cut on the end of the pin-like part looks like it rests under pressure against another round pin or cam. I watched the Detail strip of the Sig P250 and S&W Shield 45 and that part does not look like any of those slide parts.

Odd question:
If you remove the slides from all the firearms, and also remove recoil springs and barrels, do you hear anything loose when shaking it?

Also, how did you know which springs went to which gun on reassembly? Springs can be one of the hardest parts to ID correctly.
2 springs may look identical in length/width/thickness but operate at very different pressures.

Last ditch attempt, and one I would not hesitate to perform due to the chance of possible death or injury, is to take the very same photos you posted and call all three manufacturers and talk to someone in their shop. Ask if you can email the photos and press your safety concerns. If you are lucky, you will hit it right on the first call. If you are like me, it will be on the last call.

Either way, you may have a very unsafe firearm. I can't think of one that is better and safer with less parts. OK one. the S&W J-Frame locks...

~Matt

This was an excellent reply. So, you detail stripped all the slides. Did you then put all those loose parts in the cleaner? After cleaning you reassembled the slides and then test fired or only ran functionality drills to test operation? If you have not test-fired, I would suggest not doing so at this point.

The concave cut on the end of the pin-like part looks like it rests under pressure against another round pin or cam. I watched the Detail strip of the Sig P250 and S&W Shield 45 and that part does not look like any of those slide parts.

Odd question:
If you remove the slides from all the firearms, and also remove recoil springs and barrels, do you hear anything loose when shaking it?

Also, how did you know which springs went to which gun on reassembly? Springs can be one of the hardest parts to ID correctly.
2 springs may look identical in length/width/thickness but operate at very different pressures.

Each gun was put in separately while slides where disassembled by me there’s not many parts to each. (Doesn’t mean I missed those parts if they where stuck and left in the slide and then they came out so I wouldn’t have looked for them.)
I also did not fully take the firing mechs apart of the sig and 9mm shield but did remove them from the frame my goal was only a quick and light buzzing of those parts. (It worked great BTW)
Between each gun I lifted the basket up to remove parts but never fully out. Agree the concave section should rest against a round object I have already fired each gun worst case based on parts left it would not function, cycle or would auto fire. The barrel and other things that hold the gun together and or retain psi are in good shape so wasn’t worried about explosion. Did where lots off PPE though.

Last ditch attempt, and one I would not hesitate to perform due to the chance of possible death or injury, is to take the very same photos you posted and call all three manufacturers and talk to someone in their shop. Ask if you can email the photos and press your safety concerns. If you are lucky, you will hit it right on the first call. If you are like me, it will be on the last call.

Either way, you may have a very unsafe firearm. I can't think of one that is better and safer with less parts. OK one. the S&W J-Frame locks...

~Matt

Enbloc, That is something that has not crossed my mind so thank you for that. I will get on that by Monday. For now I have switched to the 1911 for the time being.

Enbloc, That is something that has not crossed my mind so thank you for that. I will get on that by Monday. For now I have switched to the 1911 for the time being.

Yeah, when the right guy sees it he'll just say:

"Oh that's a 57996 pin and a 11172 spring and it goes in the Blah, Blah, blah..."

Let us know.

~Matt

Hey, one last question on the spring:

Are the coils the same diameter from one end to the other, or is one end slightly cone shaped and a little wider?

Springs that are shaped with a wider end are sometimes used to retain the wider end in a bore hole by friction. The opposite end would be the working end so as to allow the pin to reciprocate in the bore. If this is the case with this spring, that info coupled with the concave shape of the non-spring end of the pin might indicate a pressure spring and pin to keep pressure on a rotating shaft or pin at a right angle to the spring.
~Matt

Not in my opinion. But I give Nick credit for looking. In the exploded parts view, which is a drawing, the details of the component are not very good.
After viewing a detail strip of the Sig P250 on youtube and seeing a closeup view of P/N 34 and 35, the small pin part is not one of those.

Found this close up of P/N 35:
Which is the Extractor Spring Guide.
I think OP would have had failures to extract if this was missing.
Also, there are 3 components of this sub-system, and I feel that he would have had three leftover parts in his ultrasonic cleaner if this was the case.
1511950.jpg

Hey, I could be wrong. My advice on contacting the service departments of the 3 manufacturers though is my best to-date. [smile]

~Matt

Last edited:
More pictures there are also two things stamped into the post one side has the number 3 the other has a W

Attachments

• C754AE26-ADBF-4CD2-9D10-45A90F5CC624.jpeg
    C754AE26-ADBF-4CD2-9D10-45A90F5CC624.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 91
  • B739CF79-9765-43AA-BD9F-8A7FD3BA7FB0.jpeg
    B739CF79-9765-43AA-BD9F-8A7FD3BA7FB0.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 2015E3D3-14C5-48FC-AFE5-3A016E15B8E4.jpeg
    2015E3D3-14C5-48FC-AFE5-3A016E15B8E4.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 355
  • C7644A6A-56B9-4DFA-BBEA-D6A2BAA2EC61.jpeg
    C7644A6A-56B9-4DFA-BBEA-D6A2BAA2EC61.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 85
Here is the Sig stripped first is of the slide next is the rest

Attachments

• 72F501B8-9C95-43F7-9546-8C00686270BC.jpeg
    72F501B8-9C95-43F7-9546-8C00686270BC.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 034E1649-FC44-412A-AB2A-47F284854591.jpeg
    034E1649-FC44-412A-AB2A-47F284854591.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 43
That pin in your last two pix looks different from this one in your first series.
Where did the concave portion of the pin go?

f8be338c-d7f9-4c24-a456-7c0a8ef00796-jpeg.243325

2015e3d3-14c5-48fc-afe5-3a016e15b8e4-jpeg.243379

Here are the extractor spring mech and firing pin mech compared to pieces in question. Just for size reference

Attachments

• 99012617-A400-4DE8-83C9-B0A2B9900360.jpeg
    99012617-A400-4DE8-83C9-B0A2B9900360.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 45
That pin in your last two pix looks different from this one in your first series.
Where did the concave portion of the pin go?

f8be338c-d7f9-4c24-a456-7c0a8ef00796-jpeg.243325

2015e3d3-14c5-48fc-afe5-3a016e15b8e4-jpeg.243379
It’s just a different angle/side you can almost make it out it’s just at the top

Back
Top Bottom