Please help me fix my 1911.

Hi, I went to the range today with my father in law. Worst mistake of my life. Now my brand new s&w 1911 pro series 3 inch, 45 acp is broken. So what was happening was, I would put the mag in the gun. Rack the slide, and fire the gun. As soon as I fired the gun. The mag fell out the bottom. So I took it apart and tried again. Same thing. I then heard something hit the ground. I pick up what I think is the other side of the mag button release. Is this part something I can buy online and should I try to fix it myself? It is still under warranty but I am so sick of shipping the gun into the factory for these stupid problems. I guess I should so they can make sure it wasn't something that I did and that if I fix it, it won't just happen again. Anyone else have this problem. And what is your opinion on what I should do. Fix it myself or just send it in again. P.s. it has been in already for a failure to feed and they fixed and sanded the feed ramp smooth.

image-4154400853.jpg

image-2491301708.jpg

image-1154169127.jpg

Last edited:
Call S&W on Monday, explain your displeasure with the reliability of your purchase, get the return authorization and send it back. There is no way that you should be on the hook for the cost of parts and gun smithing.

i agree with supermoto, pull the mag release and replace.
if you are not comfortable stripping your 1911 to the frame ( which you need to do to pull the mag release ) start learning your weapon.

the 1911 is the single most popular self customizable handgun in history for a reason. it is a very easy to disassemble mechanism once you learn it

i agree with supermoto, pull the mag release and replace.
if you are not comfortable stripping your 1911 to the frame ( which you need to do to pull the mag release ) start learning your weapon.

the 1911 is the single most popular self customizable handgun in history for a reason. it is a very easy to disassemble mechanism once you learn it

You don't need to strip the frame or even take the slide off. One turn of the screw/allen head and it comes out

no the worst mistake is when you tell them not to double rack the slide and then they do it right in front of you, right after you said dont do that. and that ed bron pic is the part i need. but is it easy to install?

You could put it back in and test it out again . Long shot that it just wasn't put in right , unless the thing is clearly broken.
wish i could but the part is totaly snap in half

- - - Updated - - -

and thank you to my nes brother, i always can count on you guys to help fix a problem. so sincerely thank you

Send it back to Smith. Call CS, free shipping and they'll make sure there are no other problems. Why worry? They'll email you a UPS shipping label and pay both ways.

Why send it back to get another sub par part installed? Put an Ed Brown in there and forget it, it won't break in two pieces that's for sure.

Send it back to Smith. Call CS, free shipping and they'll make sure there are no other problems. Why worry? They'll email you a UPS shipping label and pay both ways.

Absolutely no reason to go through that bother. Mag releases are cheap enough, are drop-in parts, and can be installed in less than 10 seconds. As Supermoto pointed out, no need to detail strip the gun either.

Starscream, if you are uncomfortable installing it, I'll show you how to install it.

Absolutely no reason to go through that bother. Mag releases are cheap enough, are drop-in parts, and can be installed in less than 10 seconds. As Supermoto pointed out, no need to detail strip the gun either.

Starscream, if you are uncomfortable installing it, I'll show you how to install it.

This^ why tie the gun up for weeks when you fix it yourself and use it next weekend.

You really don't want that dangerous pistol. Give it to me for destruction.

I'll give you $40.00

I'll give you $45.00 for that dangerous gun and throw in box of .22 short.

It's easy to replace, but I'd send it to S&W out of principle. It shouldn't take long for a turnaround because no machining or repairing is required. Just replacing a part which only takes minutes, if that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom