• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Please Explain Grain Count?

Troy? Avoirdupois??? Is that some sort of reptile name???

You're going to have to crack a book, I'm afraid. Take what you know and use it. Unknown items can be learned.
Check that out in your Funk & Wagnalls!

And for those of you lurking for four years or more... post! Don't be bashful!

I see! I was thinking "grains" of gunpowder. So it is the weight, therefore "heft" of the lead bullet itself. And the minute difference can actually be detectable?
Boxes of commercial ammo are marked with the weight of the bullet in grains.
I have never seen a commercial box marked with the weight of the gunpowder......

The bullet AND the powder are both measured in "grains". You will only find the bullet weight on the box. Manufacturers will not tell you what powder or what weight they use.
Since you seem to be new at this, the "bullet" is just the bullet. The whole cartridge is not a bullet, it's a cartridge so the actual projectile is what the weight pertains to.

Also,concerning +P's, there is really no need to use them for target practice and I don't even use them for carry purposes. +P and +P+ have more powder than standard loads which is why the gun manufacturers say to not use them. They are hard on most firearms.

Only thing I can say about carry is to use some sort of holster that covers the trigger. It really sucks to dig into your pocket and pull the trigger as you're pulling the gun out.

Edited to add:
1) There are members of this forum who are female and might be able to better help you with method of carry.
2) Welcome to A Girl and A Gun Women's Shooting League

Might I ask if you are a member of a gun club? If so, I would "assume" there would be some female members who can give you better real world advise. Another option is to look into IDPA or GOAL classes specifically geared towards women. I think GOAL had a concealed carry model type show. Maybe there is a video of it.

As I have a wife, daughter, and granddaughter (who shoots a thousand time better than I do) who I have introduced and trained them on the fundamentals, I as an older male know the female concealed carry options are totally out of my pay grade. And for sure I know that my "tactical muffin top" does NOT equate to the female body types.

Jay

I see! I was thinking "grains" of gunpowder. So it is the weight, therefore "heft" of the lead bullet itself. And the minute difference can actually be detectable?
Yes grains refers I only to the weight of the projectile. That's all. Has nothing to do with "power" or "recoil". For example I reload 357 magnum and I use both 125 grain and 158 grain projectiles. When reloading the manuals base powder charges on the pressure that is built in the chamber with respect to the combination of bullet weight and powder charge. Generally a heavier bullet will call for a lighter powder charge to avoid over pressure because the heavier projectile takes a little longer to get moving down the bore resulting in higher pressures. So...when I load 125 grain or 158 grain projectiles both at near max charge the 125 grain loads have much more felt recoil than the 158. Hope this helps.

I do wish there was a section for less experienced members here...
You seem to have done an outstanding job of phrasing your question
in a way which brought out the best in NESers.
Keep up the good work!

Troy? Avoirdupois??? Is that some sort of reptile name???
And then there's the Apothecaries' system...

No, no; not used by reloaders.
Jus' sayin', for the completeness...

Check that out in your Funk & Wagnalls! ..... And for those of you lurking for four years or more... post! Don't be bashful!

HEY now... you bet your sweet bippy! As for El Lurkola, I actually haven't been... Four years ago is when I started looking into purchasing a gun... that's how darn long Massachusetts takes ;-) ;-) ;-)

There are 15.43236 grains per gram. Strictly a unit of measure.

Back
Top Bottom