• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Please do NOT list 'All Lawful Purposes'

When I got my LTC the lady at the PD who does the applications asked me all the vital data such as DOB and yes or no to being a criminal etc. She printed out the form and gave it to me to sign. I examined it carefully and noticed they she had entered "all lawful purposes" in the reason field. Never even asked the question.

As it should be.

I just called my PD to ask about my renewal as I'm up in June, they said you have to wait until 3 months before expiration to renew. I said 5 years ago it took 7 months, they said today it's taking no longer than 3. So we will see.

As long as you carry your paper renewal “receipt” with you, you should be ok.

Please note : IANAL, and this statement is based solely on what I was told at the time of my renewal.

It is my understanding that the term “all lawful purposes” was developed by the MA Chiefs of Police Association as an accepted term intended to limit their liability legally, fiscally, and politically in case an LTC holder used a firearm in a nefarious manner. Inevitably the Anti’s would ask “How did this person get a gun?” and the COP could answer “Hey, I issued them a permit for all LAWFUL purposes...”.

Given it’s origin, I find it ironic that some P.D.s won’t accept the term “all lawful purposes” as a condition for issuance of an LTC.

I believe not accepting “all lawful purposes” is an attempt to limit your license by applying restrictions based upon your answer and in an attempt to deter you from applying. I feel the same way about “interviews”.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that the term “all lawful purposes” was developed by the MA Chiefs of Police Association as an accepted term intended to limit their liability ... I find it ironic that some P.D.s won’t accept the term “all lawful purposes” as a condition for issuance of an LTC.
2uood7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom