• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Platinum

Been watching PM's for some time now and since I like to diversify investments I've always pondered acquiring some physical platinum.
After doing some research Ive discovered platinum has several factors that drive price due to supply and demand. The list of factors are lengthy so just to touch upon a few...

It's defanatelly driven by industry which goes hand and hand with the economy..
Catalytic converters, electronics, jewelry etc. Poor economy =low demand and sales.

There is basically only two main sources of platinum. Russia & Africa. Currently very volitale regions. It's a very difficult lengthy mining process from start to product.

Palladium is a similar metal that's often being substituted for platinum.

Really if you look into it there is tons of potential twists and swings relating to this the most scarse and precious of metals.

So I thought I'd ask opinions here.
Platinum price is currently less than gold. I just have this funny feeling that sometime down the road I'm going to be saying "dam remember when platinum was cheaper than gold!"

Thoughts?

No expert but when shtf i see platinum as the pm that nobody needs. Gold will be the one.

But when autos don't sell due to lack of spending then production will stop. A plugged converter can be fixed with some hand tools and a hammer. So I have heard. Who will worry about passing inspections? Nobody.

But when autos don't sell due to lack of spending then production will stop. A plugged converter can be fixed with some hand tools and a hammer. So I have heard. Who will worry about passing inspections? Nobody.

Or someone could create an artificial demand and make a few bucks on the side. [laugh] The dealership my brother(mechanic) works at had, IIRC, 20 of them cut out of the new cars in one night a few weeks back.

Or someone could create an artificial demand and make a few bucks on the side. [laugh] The dealership my brother(mechanic) works at had, IIRC, 20 of them cut out of the new cars in one night a few weeks back.

That's all well and good but I'd be surprised if you opened one up and a bar of platinum fell out.

Platinum's price is low cause carmakers are finding alternatives like paladium. I don't think I'd buy physical platinum, as others said, might as well buy gold.

Well there's a couple of things I can take from this thread. The Fixx man defanatelly doesn't like platinum. Also given the few responses, as far as investing in platinum this must be in large, uncharted territory.

I'm not looking for encouragement or to be swayed. Merely opinions good bad or indifferent.

In general I'm not a gambling man but I find it interesting and enjoyable when it comes to PM's. Let's face it PM's are a gamble in its purest form.
My intention was never to go long on platinum. Just pick up an ounce or two, maybe more for posterity.

People say buy gold and silver and yes I agree but this advice comes mainly from people who's school of thought revolves around the world coming to an end. Well I personally don't share that philosophy at the moment. In fact I currently see the economy coming back for the most part.

Call it a hunch, gut feeling what have you but I can only go by what I see on the surface.
Platinum is the most scarce PM in the world that sees huge fluctuations and right now it's low low low.
Human nature is attracted to hard to obtain expensive things.
It's not just pretty. It has many uses and with technology advancing at an alarming rate these uses are growing day by day.

This thread will be here well into the future so if platinum takes a serious nose dive feel free to bump it up just to say "hey SALTYDUDE how's your investment doing there?"
Also if anyone has anything to add that "WASN'T" already touched upon in the OP post up!

9409f08900ab9239b49b7b1432b82231.jpg

You need to get in on gold pressed latinum

I'd go by this simple rule of thumb. What were Mr. T's chains made of? GOLD I'd buy gold over platinum.

attachment.php

Attachments

• MrT_bio.png
    MrT_bio.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
I'd rather buy gold or silver. Frankly silver is so cheap right now it's hard to justify buying a lot of gold.

If I had money to put into PMs and didn't already have any, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a nice big stack of 1oz Silver coins before going into the higher dollar stuff.

I have guys. I'm just diversifying my PM portfolio if you will.
I'm talking a small amount.
Really kinda just looking to see if anyone else is dabbling in platinum & what their experiences have been like dealing with it.

Additional note:

If you buy things like gold/platinum/etc don't start with 1oz coins. I'd go 1/10oz or 1gram coins which puts you in the $50-150/coin realm.

You don't walk around with $500 or $1000 bills in your wallet, so try to treat your first PM purchases the same way. Small denominations to start.

I have guys. I'm just diversifying my PM portfolio if you will.
I'm talking a small amount.
Really kinda just looking to see if anyone else is dabbling in platinum & what their experiences have been like dealing with it.

I think it's not as common for most cause for most they don't know what it looks like or cause it was never really used for coins . So people stick to what they know.

Heck for shtf . Salt is where it's at.

I have no bent against platinum. The only pm I own is a ton of alloy for casting. I can trade it as I see fit when the time comes.

My thoughts on platinum are the same as with 'numismatic' PM coins.

If you have junk silver, silver bars, Krugerrand coins, or any other readily recognizable PM, you will have a large market to sell/trade them to due to recognition..

If you have platinum in any denomination other than possibly jewelry, it is going to have a much smaller market. It will be harder to divest.

If things go south, it will be even more limited. I'd rather have the equal value in silver dollars or silver maples. My 2c

I think it's not as common for most cause for most they don't know what it looks like or cause it was never really used for coins . So people stick to what they know.

Heck for shtf . Salt is where it's at.

I'll see you your salt and raise you some TP [wink].

People say buy gold and silver and yes I agree but this advice comes mainly from people who's school of thought revolves around the world coming to an end. Well I personally don't share that philosophy at the moment. In fact I currently see the economy coming back for the most part.

This is the "survival" sub-forum - so it's not surprising the responses were related to that.

For business-as-usual investment, heck, try some platinum, or whatever other commodity that strikes your fancy.

Otherwise, I'd agree with what others say - gold / silver, and all the other "survival" stuff too.

For purposes of survival currency, I think silver and gold are your better bets. Silver for the day to day, and gold in case you have to move and want to take it with you. (Those 100 oz silver bars are kind of cumbersome). People understand gold and silver.

Platinum, however, is an investment grade metal (in fact, it is a strategic metal). I think you'll do fine (if not excellent) over the long run with it. It's current price is very reasonable as compared to the other precious metals at long term historical price ratios. It is projected that annual demand/consumption of platinum will outstrip our ability to mine it. You could consider the physical metal, a platinum ETF, or stock in one of the two platinum/palladium producers in North America (SWC or PAL). I recently dumped about 20% of my Roth into PAL as it bottomed awhile back. I think they will survive their troubles and do very well in the coming years, but by no means rely on me for investment advice. I'm wrong as often as I am right.

Russia is getting squeezed economically and they are sitting on a lot of platinum/palladium in their foreign reserves. They may need to raise cash with energy prices in the crapper, so that is a wild card.

Here's a somewhat dated link I just whipped up with some google-fu: http://www.peterleeds.com/blog.htm?blog=675&source=blog&title=Gold-/-Paltinum-Ratio-is-Out-of-Whack

Last edited:
This is the "survival" sub-forum - so it's not surprising the responses were related to that.

Understood. I've often referred to PM investment as financial survival. Also this felt like the appropriate place to discuss next to gold and silver.

For purposes of survival currency, I think silver and gold are your better bets. Silver for the day to day, and gold in case you have to move and want to take it with you. (Those 100 oz silver bars are kind of cumbersome). People understand gold and silver.

Platinum, however, is an investment grade metal (in fact, it is a strategic metal). I think you'll do fine (if not excellent) over the long run with it. It's current price is very reasonable as compared to the other precious metals at long term historical price ratios. It is projected that annual demand/consumption of platinum will outstrip our ability to mine it. You could consider the physical metal, a platinum EFT, or stock in one of the two platinum/palladium producers in North America (SWC or PAL). I recently dumped about 20% of my Roth into PAL as it bottomed awhile back. I think they will survive their troubles and do very well in the coming years, but by no means really on me for investment advice. I'm wrong as often as I am right.

Russia is getting squeezed economically and they are sitting on a lot of platinum/palladium in their foreign reserves. They may need to raise cash with energy prices in the crapper, so that is a wild card.

He's a somewhat dated link I just whipped up with some google-fu: http://www.peterleeds.com/blog.htm?blog=675&source=blog&title=Gold-/-Paltinum-Ratio-is-Out-of-Whack

Thanks. I wasn't aware of Russia's reserves.

Also to reiterate, If I choose to grab an ounce of two, it is a experiment on a small scale merely as a personal interest.

I think if the world ever got to point where the only thing that had value was gold and silver I'd rather have an AK with a ton of ammo. I think that would trade just as well as if not better than PM.

I think if the world ever got to point where the only thing that had value was gold and silver I'd rather have an AK with a ton of ammo. I think that would trade just as well as if not better than PM.
an AK is sort of like a prospecting tool. it could get you gold, silver, food, vehicle, fuel, women, whatever.[wink]

I believe platinum will be more valuable long term for industrial uses. I have a bit over an ounce that will probably stay in a deposit box for the distant future.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom