• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plated .308 Win bullets hurt barrel?

ttk9801

NES Member
Hi,

I got some Everglades "plated" .308 Win bullets (with max velocity around 1250fps). I am wondering if it is ok to shoot these reloads assuming the velocity is within the max range? Would it cause barrel leading? I have been shooting it in a cheap .308 rifle and have not yet tried in my more expensive rifle.

Thank you for any info.

I would go a little lighter than max on the loading/velocity

Jacketed would not be a problem, plated can lead foul at max velocity

You could load 5 at a lower pressure and some at normal, shoot the light loads first and inspect, then shoot the higher powered rounds and look for the plating being stripped off and causing fouling

Hi,

I got some Everglades "plated" .308 Win bullets (with max velocity around 1250fps). I am wondering if it is ok to shoot these reloads assuming the velocity is within the max range? Would it cause barrel leading? I have been shooting it in a cheap .308 rifle and have not yet tried in my more expensive rifle.

Thank you for any info.
What velocity are they rated for?

They are rated for 1250fps and I control the power charge such that the velocity is below that ( about 1240fps)
Shoot some in the dirt and recover the bullets to see if they’re holding up. I did that with Xtreme bullets in my 44 mag desert eagle to see if the plating is being stripped. Bullets barely look like they’ve been fired

You can get pulled 150 gr FMJs for 13 cents each shipped. How much you paying for these plated bullets
I looked at everglades once, and they were the same price or more than FMJ. Hopefully they changed their pricing since then. But, curiosity got me, going to go check now.

what is the bullet weight/profile? These don't sound like they are intended for .308. How many have you shot?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you for any info.
What's the weight on these bullets ? Never heard of "plated" .30 bullets with such a low max velocity threshold. Sounds like subsonic purpose loads only, or possibly barely "supersonic" .

Hi,

Thank you for any info.
More info on the bullet and what manufacture says for use

Plated or straight cast its really in the bullet size. A properly sized lead or even plates bullet should be just fine and have little fouling.

I run straight wheel weight alloy in 30 cal rifles. The twist rate will dictate how fast you can push them
Most 308 rifles are 1-10 ish.
So you max out around 1900 fps for cast with out getting into special alloy.

1250 seems low even for plated. My guess is the plating deteriorates after that exposing the lead with no lube.

My pet gallery load is any 30 cal cart with scrap lead with Trailboss to about 1050fps or so. Lubed no gas check
My 30 cal target load for 200 yards is a 165gn cast flat nose at 1650 fps gas checked and lubed.

what is the bullet weight/profile? These don't sound like they are intended for .308. How many have you shot?

Everglades .308 30 Cal 150gr FP Plated Bullets​

I have shot a few dozens of them in my $200 Remington 700 rifle.

Projectile online link here

More info on the bullet and what manufacture says for use

Plated or straight cast its really in the bullet size. A properly sized lead or even plates bullet should be just fine and have little fouling.

I run straight wheel weight alloy in 30 cal rifles. The twist rate will dictate how fast you can push them
Most 308 rifles are 1-10 ish.
So you max out around 1900 fps for cast with out getting into special alloy.

1250 seems low even for plated. My guess is the plating deteriorates after that exposing the lead with no lube.

My pet gallery load is any 30 cal cart with scrap lead with Trailboss to about 1050fps or so. Lubed no gas check
My 30 cal target load for 200 yards is a 165gn cast flat nose at 1650 fps gas checked and lubed.
Thanks for the info. I am not sure if I can go beyond the manufacture recommended max velocity of 1250fps.

Below was what got
20 gr IMR 4895, Avr=1241 fps (8 rds), grouping 2 ¼”, with 1 flyer 4”, at 100yds

Hi,

Thank you for any info.
I was poking around the web sight , where does it give the 1250fps max. Part of me says thats the minimum so you dont end up with a bullet lodged in the barrel. ?
Also your using IMR 4895 which is close to H4895 but even so 20 grains might be a bit to low of a charge. Whats the max load with IMR 4895 for a 150 fn bullet?

Last edited:
I agree with mac1911. I know you can't drive a plated bullet as fast as a jacketed bullet but 1250 fps max seems very low for a .30 rifle bullet. I've loaded lots of .30/30 plinking ammo with a 150 grain plated bullet but never that slow.

I was poking around the web sight , where does it give the 1250fps max. Part of me says thats the minimum so you dont end up with a bullet lodged in the barrel. ?
Also your using IMR 4895 which is close to H4895 but even so 20 grains might be a bit to low of a charge. Whats the max load with IMR 4895 for a 150 fn bullet?
I did do higher charge loads, below are the complete results. The only reason that I choose 20gr load (for now) is to meet the manufacture's specification of max 1250fps. I did not check barrel leading after these tests.

IMR 4895, 150gr Everglades plated FP, .308 remington 700 24"
30 gr, Avr=1881 fps (3 rds)
28 gr, Avr=1815 fps (3 rds)
26 gr, Avr=1660 fps (3 rds)
22 gr, Avr=1314 fps (8 rds)
20 gr, Avr=1241 fps (8 rds)

I did do higher charge loads, below are the complete results. The only reason that I choose 20gr load (for now) is to meet the manufacture's specification of max 1250fps. I did not check barrel leading after these tests.

where are you getting these manufactures specs? Do you have a link to load data for these bullets ? I still think your getting data confused I know the thinner plated pistol bullets wont hold up to higher velocities, I assume Everglades does not make these bullets?

Also like I said H 4895 and IMR 4895 are close but not the same and H4895 is the only "rifle" powder Hodgdon says can be loaded to reduced loads.
If Hodgdon thought IMR 4895 would be ok they would have listed it. Even if you follow the powder manufacturing instructions your well below their suggested starting load.

1671993702330.png
1671993792735.png

Last edited:
For most load data selection, I usually have notes regarding how the starting load is selected. But I could not find my notes on this one. I treat "plated" bullets same as lead bullets to start with. In order to achieve a velocity of less than 1250fps, the load must be reduced to 20gr for this powder. It's common for me to use loads that is below the minimum either to achieve a slower velocity specified by the bullet manufacture or just to reduce the pressure for plinking purposes. Educate me if you think that it is not safe to use a reduced load at this level. I never thought it's unsafe when you can actually achieve a muzzle velocity of 1250fps. Thanks

For most load data selection, I usually have notes regarding how the starting load is selected. But I could not find my notes on this one. I treat "plated" bullets same as lead bullets to start with. In order to achieve a velocity of less than 1250fps, the load must be reduced to 20gr for this powder. It's common for me to use loads that is below the minimum either to achieve a slower velocity specified by the bullet manufacture or just to reduce the pressure for plinking purposes. Educate me if you think that it is not safe to use a reduced load at this level. I never thought it's unsafe when you can actually achieve a muzzle velocity of 1250fps. Thanks
I just go by manufactures data and info as posted above, I would call IMR and ask them about reducing charges of IMR 4895

Im still questioning where you got the maximum velocity for your particular bullets.
The 1250 rule is generally for the thinner plated pistol bullets, the thicker plated are generally good unless other wise noted by the manufacture is about 2000 fps.
Whats the point of spending extra money on plated if you cant push them beyound 1200 fps its a waste when tou could run plain base lubed cast at much more savings or even the coated bullets ?

Last edited:
I looked at everglades once, and they were the same price or more than FMJ. Hopefully they changed their pricing since then. But, curiosity got me, going to go check now.
Current prices are silly
CC blems where considerably less just last week

What was your min max and deviation like ?

FWIW, I have slugged the bore of rifles with reduced charges. Too much and the bullet continues through my catch box (wadded paper and cardboard). I was using about 1/2 grain of pistol powder to capture the bullet last time. This isn't to say that all rifles will have similar results. I'm sure many will end up being squib loads.

Back
Top Bottom