plate carriers, other gear

GunGuy2014

NES Member
Good afternoon,

Looking for some opinions on plate carriers, Im new on the job and have had a few Leo's recommend getting a plate carrier to keep in your cruiser. I haven't had any experience with owning or setting up a plate carrier and really don't know much about them at all, Ive been trying to get some ideas on different plates (levels, materials) as well as the carrier itself and have been leaning towards a Crye JPC 2.0. for a carrier but it seems that there is so much information and possibly misleading information on the strength levels as to what the plates are rated for, much of the information can appear confusing or potentially misleading as to what it can stop.

I guess im looking for some opinions on carriers that many of you may have experience with and plate materials and strength rating as well. As a two part question, any recommendations for extra gear that could be purchased from experience that may not have been issued from the dept. that you all would see as valuable.

TIA

Why not ask the guys that recommended them to you to see theirs and ask them questions about what they have and why, what they don’t want and why. That’s a good start.

JPC 01 or 02 is pretty expensive for a carrier that will sit in your trunk 98% of the time and possibly only be used once or twice in your career.

Will you train with it and how much?

Check your dept policies to see what is acceptable or not as far as non issued equipment.

Are you located in the northeast/Ma, urban or rural work environment? Lot of questions that affect your decisions.

We have made sure all our cars have them, along with ballistic helmets

BDS Tactical is veteran owned and high quality. Velocity Systems are a good maker too. You can swap out the front panel on the Velocity Systems plate carrier for different load outs. If you were to go one, I'd go Velocity Systems just so you can swap the front panels for Duty, Range, Training...

I have an Eagle Industries I've been training in for 12 years. It is excellent. My wife has a Tactical Tailor equally as old.

What level is your soft armor? I assume you want rifle rated plates? Do you wear your soft armor every day? If you wear internally, I've been looking at special threat plates rated "in conjunction with" soft armor. There's a lot of light weight ceramic plates out that are affordable. Will your department reimburse you for a plate purchase?

As for extra gear and not knowing what you already carry, you need to have some sort of tourniquet on your person. I carry a CAT that's for me, and a SOF-T in my IFAK for other Officers or victims. North American Rescue has some great sealed pocket IFAK kits.

Back
Top Bottom