• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Plate Carrier Recommendation

Too insane. Gotta be a mistakešŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Just received mine at the advertised price. Certainly looks like the real thing. In fact, it came with two cummerbunds, which surprised me. The photos look like it'll only come with the single strap. Turns out is also comes with their "skeletal" cummerbund. Glad I took the risk.

NB - this is the v1 JPC, not the 2.0
question on the JPC: How does it do with thicker plates? My PE plates are like 1.5" thick. I wast thinking about that 5.11 carrier, but after all the glowing recommendations I am beginning to lean toward the JPC.
Per the Crye website:
NOTE: If your plate dimensions are between sizes, or if your plates' thickness exceeds 1.25", we recommend sizing up to the next size.

Last edited:
I got my JPC delivered today. Can't beat the timeline between ordering and receipt. Fit and completion look outstanding.

@APFSDS What dimension are your plates and what size carrier? I can do a quick measure for you.

They are 10x12 shooter cut and I actually measured them and I was wrong, they are 1.13" thick.
From my rudimentary measurements, they should fit. I was thinking about a plate 1.5" thick and wondering what that was made out of...

Yeah, I don't know where I got that measurement from. These are from bulletproofme.com and are discontinued it looks like. Level III UHMWPE plates.
From my rudimentary measurements, they should fit. I was thinking about a plate 1.5" thick and wondering what that was made out of...

5.11 makes a comfy carrier. Running with steel plates makes you lose weight!!

Crye or Ferro Concepts are great . Currently have a Ferro Concepts FCPC and itā€™s a good rig. Have used/worn it for extended periods and itā€™s comfortable especially with the shoulder pads you can buy as an addition.

OP didnā€™t ask about plates, so I assume he has that all figured out already ā€” but if not ā€” Iā€™m a fan of the new ā€œspecial threatā€ rated rifle plates that have the ability to stop 62Gr. GT. The weight savings trade off versus Level IV makes sense to me.

I like the specs of the ShotStop Duritium GT2, although Iā€™ve heard good things about Hesco, I just havenā€™t run them myself.

I thought I did and then went deeper into the rabbit hole on plates. Now that the carrier is squared away, it's time to look back at plates I've seen some of the Special Threat plates which appear to be a compromise between weight and protection like the Hesco L210s but my head keeps thinking about the volume of M855 out in circulation and how much of the poly/composite plates are not rated for that. Should I be willing to absorb either the added cost for those above or absorb the added weight of an alloy for that protection? Short answer is that I don't know.

I thought I did and then went deeper into the rabbit hole on plates. Now that the carrier is squared away, it's time to look back at plates I've seen some of the Special Threat plates which appear to be a compromise between weight and protection like the Hesco L210s but my head keeps thinking about the volume of M855 out in circulation and how much of the poly/composite plates are not rated for that. Should I be willing to absorb either the added cost for those above or absorb the added weight of an alloy for that protection? Short answer is that I don't know.
I have thought about that a lot as well, my current plates will not stop green tip. Since I bought them I feel like it has become pretty ubiquitous. I bought these super light plates because at the time there were no carriers (that I could find at least) that didn't leave me in agony with SAPI/stand alone ceramic plates in them after a few hours. I'm going to try a new carrier and maybe in a few months think about new, slightly heavier plates if I can stand to wear these in the new carrier for extended periods without discomfort.

@mu2bdriver i run theseā€¦ 3.8lb Ea for 10x12ā€ā€¦ less if you run the 8x10ā€ (3.4lb, I thinkā€¦). M855 rated.

I back mine with these soft armor panels instead of trauma pads to increase my protection slightly, since there are some spicy hunting calibers out there.

This pairing isnā€™t going to stop .308, and it wonā€™t stop a head shot either. So I rather have the most common threat protection and increased mobility rather than a Lvl IV turtle shell on my back and be slow AF.

Put your loaded mags and sustainment in a backpack and go weigh yourself on the bathroom scaleā€¦ guaranteed 25+ lbs, so why add another 10lbs on top of that with Lvl IV plates? That was my rationaleā€¦

Last edited:
I'm using Engarde Level IV. They are 5.4lbs per plate. They will stop 30cal AP. I have personally shot at a set. Basically will stop and unlimited number of M855. If I recall it took >10 rounds of 7.63x39 to punch a hole AFTER we hit it will M193, M855 and .30AP

Here is an option for yaā€¦

Here is an option for yaā€¦

Man, how did you know I've been cruising that site for the last 30 minutes!

question on the JPC: How does it do with thicker plates? My PE plates are like 1.5" thick. I wast thinking about that 5.11 carrier, but after all the glowing recommendations I am beginning to lean toward the JPC.

I have esapis in mine and they fit perfectly, you can eadily google the dimensions of esapi plates.

Back
Top Bottom