Plantar Fasciitis

shootymacshootface

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rutland , in the oppressive Republic of Massachuse
Just a tip for anyone suffering from this. I was about to schedule a second surgery for my feet (had 1st one 10 years ago), and I decided to dump the work boots and try a pair of Sketchers. I bought a pair that look like hiking shoes but have a non slip sole and a steel toe, and are work compliant.
My feet are now almost pain free and I believe it is completely because of the Sketchers. I even stopped wearing arch supports because they were causing their own problems.
I learned the hard way that my Podiatrist didn't know everything. I now have to live with scar tissue on the bottoms of my feet that only bothers me when I an barefoot.
I realize that everyone is different.
I hope that sharing this can help someone.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i wear the same type of sketchers all day long. I got tired of going to the emergency room every time i dropped something on my foot. The memory foam insole really does work!

alan226

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just a tip for anyone suffering from this. I was about to schedule a second surgery for my feet (had 1st one 10 years ago), and I decided to dump the work boots and try a pair of Sketchers. I bought a pair that look like hiking shoes but have a non slip sole and a steel toe, and are work compliant.
My feet are now almost pain free and I believe it is completely because of the Sketchers. I even stopped wearing arch supports because they were causing their own problems.
I learned the hard way that my Podiatrist didn't know everything. I now have to live with scar tissue on the bottoms of my feet that only bothers me when I an barefoot.
What do they look like. Any pictures? My duty boots kill me by the end of the week

84ta406

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I'll have to check out the new store in Worcester. 12 hours a day in my work boots are hell on my feet and lower back. Thanks for the advice

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The best product for stretching the problem area: UltraFlexx Foot Rocker
Tried that. Didn’t do a thing to help me.

I had a podiatrist who wanted to operate on my feet and sever my plantar fascia. When I politely expressed doubt, given what I had read about the painful recovery and concern about efficacy, he got all pissed off that I dare question the great doctor. I voted with my feet and never set foot back in his office.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The best product for stretching the problem area: UltraFlexx Foot Rocker
DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT.

For those who don't know, I was a personal trainer for 20+ years. I too thought this was a good product at one point. Until I actually learned what the problem is with PF.

With PF, as attested to people here, your feet feel worse when they are unsupported. That's because there is a band of tissue (PF) that runs under your foot that is NOT flexible and it is being asked to stretch because your arches are falling and/or your calf muscles are too tight. Using the product suggested asks the PF to stretch EVEN MORE.

95% of my clients, as well as myself, had 100% relief by getting the knots out of the calf muscle. I used a combination of self massage known as self myofascial release (google it), self manual massage (of the calf), and proper calf stretching technique. Proper calf stretching involves the foot supported on the floor while "holding" your arch (not letting it drop). I usually did this barefoot or with socks on (in gyms) but if someone had very weak arches they would stretch with their sneakers on as long as they had some small arch support inside.

Personally, I went from full custom made sport arch supports to wearing Vibram Five Fingers (originals with NO support). I now currently wear only the most minimalist of trail runners that I can find called New Balance Minimus.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good/proper arch support is key.
I just wear the OTC Dr. Sholl's (sp) inserts in all my shoes and they have relieved my problems.
If I wear shoes without them even for one day I go back to pain on the top/inside/ankle/hinge area.

Most all shoes today have zero/totally crappy arch support.
I've found New Balance running sneakers to be pretty good.

Laura

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never went to a doctor for my foot pain, but almost did. The day I discovered Sketchers, I've been pain free.....and wearing them ever since.

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
During my long suffering with plantar fasciitis, I’ve seen quite a few podiatrists. I also encountered a singularly honest physician who told me that plantar fasciitis has many different treatments. He went on to say that when a medical issue has many different treatments, it usually means that none of them work very well.

Knob Creek

NES Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Had the pain. Switched to Sketchers non-skid when I was bartending. Now wear those and Oboz hiking shoes and boots. Friend of mine whose father ran a shoe store said never wear the same shoes all day. Change at mid day..

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I don't even know what that is, and if I look it up I will end up convincing myself I have it.
You feet (one or both) hurt for no apparent reason at seemingly random intervals.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks before thanksgiving, I was orbital sanding a large wood dining room table, I was kind of putting all my body weight on my left heel. The next morning, wow, what did I do, I had to gently, walk around until I could be ok, and then , it was sort of be careful, all day. I got the Dr scholls soft heel inserts, and the wear at sleep/night, angle brace for this. After 6 weeks of being careful, each day got a wee bit better, I am just about 99% better.
Now I know, if standing in one place, do so on your balls of your feet and share the load a bit with your heel.
I think I had a mild case of the is Plantar stuff.
But I do know 2 people who had it bad, and did the Doctor thing, and it did not help at all for 6 months. What both of them did on their own, was the stretch, and I as well. In a stair way , bottom step, what ever, balls of feet on the edge, and gently flex, until you can feel it, again , gently. And do this after you have walked it out in the morning. It helped them and cured them as well as myself , me being mild case.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I recently bought some Keen insulated carbon fiber 6" workboots for the winter.

Laced them up took a few steps and felt the most insane pain going down the outside of my foot starting from my ankle and ending at the bottom of my foot. I literally couldn't walk..Seems the tongue of the boot on the left side has a little hard part that must touch some nerve in my ankle, it was bad. So now I have to lace up my right boot kind of loose and I am trying to press this little protrusion back in..It's a trip that something so small can touch the exact right spot and cause extreme pain, enough to stop me in my tracks.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had plantar fasciitis for over a year. It was caused by Doc Martin's industrial work boots. I switched back to Timberland Pros with inserts, but found that their low top oxfords were incredibly comfortable. I can be on my feet in those all day, and they are a leather steel toe.

Bison

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I too thought this was a good product at one point. Until I actually learned what the problem is with PF.
Thank you. That is very interesting. I mainly have very tight calves and when I stretch every day with the roller, I do not have pain. So, your approach could be better.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thank you. That is very interesting. I mainly have very tight calves and when I stretch every day with the roller, I do not have pain. So, your approach could be better.
the "ribbon" of tissue that runs under your heel into your foot originates at the calf. when the calf is tight, it puts stress on that tissue. That tension can cause your arch to fall, causing more tension on that tissue, and on and on it goes.

dhuze

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
An island surrounded by land on three sides
I don’t have plantar fasciitis, but I have a friend who does. I was telling her I use Dr Scholls custom fit inserts for other reasons. They are $50, so fairly expensive. She ended up buying some and says her plantar fasciitis went away.

I swear that since I started wearing them most of my back problems have also gone away.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
You feet (one or both) hurt for no apparent reason at seemingly random intervals.
Especially in the morning when you get out of bed, I it a couple years ago and it sucked. I got some great insoles from the foot doc or my shoes but it Took a while to clear up, from start to finish it was about 6 months.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've always had high arches and had to picky about shoes. I developed it about 20 years ago. The doc suggested cutting a piece of sponge to put under my arches. That started to help. I went using garden-variety arch supports in all my shoes and it slowly went away over a 6-9 months.

powerman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT.

For those who don't know, I was a personal trainer for 20+ years. I too thought this was a good product at one point. Until I actually learned what the problem is with PF.

With PF, as attested to people here, your feet feel worse when they are unsupported. That's because there is a band of tissue (PF) that runs under your foot that is NOT flexible and it is being asked to stretch because your arches are falling and/or your calf muscles are too tight. Using the product suggested asks the PF to stretch EVEN MORE.

95% of my clients, as well as myself, had 100% relief by getting the knots out of the calf muscle. I used a combination of self massage known as self myofascial release (google it), self manual massage (of the calf), and proper calf stretching technique. Proper calf stretching involves the foot supported on the floor while "holding" your arch (not letting it drop). I usually did this barefoot or with socks on (in gyms) but if someone had very weak arches they would stretch with their sneakers on as long as they had some small arch support inside.

Personally, I went from full custom made sport arch supports to wearing Vibram Five Fingers (originals with NO support). I now currently wear only the most minimalist of trail runners that I can find called New Balance Minimus.
yes
OK every body is different so what works for some may not work for others
stretch those calf muscles, that's the biggest thing that helps.
I've have flat feet with zero arch
I've struggled with foot pain for 35 plus years and still do but with much less pain now.
I've had all sorts of podiatrists over the years, from some of the best in Boston to regular local Joe's,
They all seem to correct for the issue you have, but don't really fix the cause of the problem.
i would get corrective custom orthotics , and they helped tremendously but never cured the problem.
I've fired them all.
I've been wearing orthotics made by a chiropractor , manufactured by benifoot.
these are completely different from the custom molded ones.
these new ones have bumps and wedges in spots that look to be in the wrong place but put your foot bones in the correct alignment to support your body weight so your muscles, tendons and ligaments that weren't designed to do have to.

I'm almost pain free and my feet don't hurt to bad at end of day.

back on to PF, one of my friends had it bad for years so much so he almost could not walk. he went in for an unrelated operation and had to go under anesthesia , after surgery it was completely gone.
I think for most people it is tight muscles, it was for me.

I've also found that you need to just change the shoe or boot to something different for a while.
sometimes I need to wear a sneaker and not my boots and other times I have to where my boots when my sneakers are painful.

plantar-fasciitis you don't even wish it on your enemy.

Top Bottom