Planning cross country road trip...

bsaks

NES Life Member
NES Member
Looking to do a cross country drive across the US hitting up all lower 48 states.

What's the best way to go about protection? I know some statess have reciprocity and there's is that Utah ccw permit thing. Any thoughts?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Define protection, LOL...

Utah non-res ccw, yes. NJ and perhaps others like MD still a problem- you can easily find info with a search. Some states like LA have different laws that consider your vehicle an extension of your home and regarding firearms treat it as such. Of course, carrying another issue.

Research the laws of every state you're visiting and store your gun in accordance with those laws. You also need to know whether you are required to inform an officer that there's a gun in the car. This requirement varies state to state too.

Read the safe passage section of FOPA, print it out and keep it with you in the car.

Don't stop in any state where you are not allowed to possess a gun without FOPA protection. New Jersey and New York come to mind.

Just stay the F out of NY and NJ (and probably Chicago area) and you will do ok.

Also look into city gun laws. Places like CO have ok gun laws but places like denver in CO have stricter laws.

Thanks. All great info. Wonder if I brought along a small safe/lockbox would that be different rules compared to actually carrying?

Thanks. All great info. Wonder if I brought along a small safe/lockbox would that be different rules compared to actually carrying?

Yes. You can legally transport a locked gun across the 'bad' states where you can't carry. I would absolutely bring a small safe. You never know when you might have to go somewhere that you can't bring a gun, and you don't want to trust a hotel safe.

Some states have legally binding 'no-gun' signage for certain places. You may want to lock your gun in the car if you plan to go to one of those places.

Last edited:
The logistics of hitting every state is crazy,why are you even worrying about a gun ?

I would imagine the places where you might need a weapon,to be legal,your weapon will be in the trunk so it won't do you any good.

Just don't go cruising through Detroit or Compton,or any other crime ridden cesspools of diversity and you should be fine.

How long you giving yourself to do this ?

The logistics of hitting every state is crazy,why are you even worrying about a gun ?

I would imagine the places where you might need a weapon,to be legal,your weapon will be in the trunk so it won't do you any good.

Just don't go cruising through Detroit or Compton,or any other crime ridden cesspools of diversity and you should be fine.

How long you giving yourself to do this ?

Ever since I read this article, I've had the itch to do the trip myself:
http://www.randalolson.com/2015/03/08/computing-the-optimal-road-trip-across-the-u-s/

Not a short trip for sure. I'd skip out on a lot of places where I've already been or have no interest in seeing (anything north east, chicago, detroit, etc.) I'm thinking probably like 2 months ish would give me enough time to actually enjoy all the sites.

Surprisingly, the girlfriend is on board, and we both agree its something better to do now while we're young and have the relative freedom, versus waiting until retirement. The idea would be to think of it as a project over the next year or so for planning, and in the same time find/build a travel van for the trip.

The logistics of hitting every state is crazy,why are you even worrying about a gun ? ?

I think that sometimes when thinking about trip logistics... then I read things like this:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...RVIVES-ASSAULT-THANKS-TO-HUSBAND-CARRYING-GUN

They were road tripping on historic route 66 and stopped in a motel... and we plan on using motels and such along the way for sure. I also imagine we would look like fine targets being fairly small in stature. My girlfriend is 5ft, 90lbs... and I'm only 5'5. Not exactly the meanest looking people...

Sounds like a job for a chainsaw.

serveimage

Back
Top Bottom