• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Places you can't carry in MA

Other than schools, courthouses, and post offices, are there any other places that you can't carry in MA? I seem to recall my LTC instructor (a cop) telling me that banks were also off limits. However, I have also been told that there are no regulations that prevent concealed carry in a bank. Other than those places, are there any other "off limits" places?

I'm having a bad case of deja vu! I swear that there was another thread on here created a few months ago or less with the exact same title!

1. Schools
2. Courthouses
3. Post Offices
4. Federal Buildings
5. Logan Airport* (including the "Logan Airport Security Zone")

*No possession, transportation or carry anywhere on the property unless traveling on a departing or arriving flight.

I'm having a bad case of deja vu! I swear that there was another thread on here created a few months ago or less with the exact same title!

I thought the same thing. [laugh]

*No possession, transportation or carry anywhere on the property unless traveling on a departing or arriving flight.

Is this just the worthless/nearly meaningless CMR or is there something that is actually a law in place that covers this?

-Mike

1. Schools
2. Courthouses
3. Post Offices
4. Federal Buildings

Only schools (K thru college) are listed in MGLs at least in one place. There is at least a CMR on Logan Airport Security Zone.

Federal buildings are not a MGL issue, but whatever Fed Law says. The answer on the USPO is "inconclusive" as USC allows "legal purposes" but CFR INTENTIONALLY says otherwise, rumor has it that the Feds have prosecuted on this, but nobody can cite any cases involving customers (one cite is a an employee, but that's not the same thing) "just gong about their business".

MA Courthouses . . . not actually per MGLs, more a directive from chief justices of each court. For example there is no sign and no security at all in two County Land Courts that I've been in in Southeastern MA.

If you see signage (in a gov't bldg), metal detectors, x-ray machines, etc. just don't carry in there no matter what the building is (e.g. Boston City Hall, 1 Ashburton Place, some other state office buildings, etc.). Most city/town halls don't have any of this stuff, but a few do.

Duperman.jpg

North Bridge gift shop in Lexington:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...atriot-s-Day?p=1403160&viewfull=1#post1403160

(I answered this in the other thread like this also.)

Last edited:
Only schools (K thru college) are listed in MGLs at least in one place. There is at least a CMR on Logan Airport Security Zone.

Federal buildings are not a MGL issue, but whatever Fed Law says. The answer on the USPO is "inconclusive" as USC allows "legal purposes" but CFR INTENTIONALLY says otherwise, rumor has it that the Feds have prosecuted on this, but nobody can cite any cases involving customers (one cite is a an employee, but that's not the same thing) "just gong about their business".

MA Courthouses . . . not actually per MGLs, more a directive from chief justices of each court. For example there is no sign and no security at all in two County Land Courts that I've been in in Southeastern MA.

If you see signage (in a gov't bldg), metal detectors, x-ray machines, etc. just don't carry in there no matter what the building is (e.g. Boston City Hall, 1 Ashburton Place, some other state office buildings, etc.). Most city/town halls don't have any of this stuff, but a few do.

This is essentially as good a summary as you're going to get. The only places that Massachusetts law puts off limits are schools (K-12, plus all post-secondary, including all colleges and universities, as well as any specialized trade or similar schools) and the Logan restrictions. The federal restrictions are the same everywhere. There are two USPO cases of which I'm aware: the employee in a restricted area, and a jerk who insisted on entering with a gun after being told by security that he couldn't. Everything else, from state office buildings and courthouses to banks and other places depend on metal detectors and security check points. If they've got them and you somehow circumvent them, then you're trespassing. Otherwise, there's no legal restriction.

Ken

jerk who insisted on entering with a gun after being told by security that he couldn't
And this jerks's attorney did not even raise the "incident to lawful purposes argument", and the judge concluded he was not a member of the authorized class of people. Either the attorney was very good and knew that was a losing approach, or very poor and bought into the propaganda issued by agencies that prefer a restrictive interpretation. In either case, it's not very useful case law for either side.

With all this being said wouldn't 60% of boston being hospital and school property make it nearly impossible to carry around there?

With all this being said wouldn't 60% of boston being hospital and school property make it nearly impossible to carry around there?

Hospitals are not off limits, although its a matter of debate as to whether or not the "teaching hospitals" are. Good luck finding a solid answer for that, too.

-Mike

The typical argument advanced for teaching hospitals being "schools" would hold equally well for any business that hires college interns from Northeastern or some other school. Obviously an absurd stretch, but after all, this is Massachusetts.

Ken

The typical argument advanced for teaching hospitals being "schools" would hold equally well for any business that hires college interns from Northeastern or some other school. Obviously an absurd stretch, but after all, this is Massachusetts.

Ken

I'd say UMass Med Center might come pretty darned close to being a college type of setting in the police's eyes.

I'd say UMass Med Center might come pretty darned close to being a college type of setting in the police's eyes.

Yes, but that's obviously not just a teaching hospital. Most large hospitals (e.g., Mass General, Lahey Clinic, Deaconess-Beth Israel, Brigham & Women's) are teaching hospitals; few are actually part of a college or university system.

Ken

O
1. Schools
2. Courthouses
3. Post Offices
4. Federal Buildings

I was at Logan about 6 months and 4months ago and had my wife call security about ccw both times And they had said not a problem as long as I wasn't getting on a flight.

1. Schools
2. Courthouses
3. Post Offices
4. Federal Buildings

Lately *all* Federal property (parking lots, etc.) are posted as "No Weapons Allowed". Drive onto any VA property and you'll see the sign at the entry way and it says property (not building). This started about 6 months ago.

Actually, the CMR allows you to proceed to the MSP substation at the airport to surrender your weapons and explosives for the duration of your visit to the airport. Good luck with that one though :).

Sooo,
Can we only CCW in Mass?
What about the rest of New England when I go to visit family?
No one has mentioned this and I honestly don't know..

Sooo,
Can we only CCW in Mass?
What about the rest of New England when I go to visit family?
No one has mentioned this and I honestly don't know..
[
VT allos concealed carry without a permit. Other than that, there is no reciprocity with other states unless you are traveling through RI with no intent to detain yourself within the state.

So I CAN carry into VT and a day trip into RI. Otherwise, no deal.
Perhaps I'll bolt in a more solid structure in the truck than my cable around the seat trick for my pistol when traveling in the future.

Thank you sir.

Back
Top Bottom