Places Where Guns Are Not Allowed

JD3

I know the obvious places that a person is not allowed to carry a weapon(i.e. federal property/buildings). However, is there any listing or something similar that clearly states where you can not allowed to carry? I ask because after having this discussion with several people there seem to be some grey areas, and I would prefer not to find out the hard way that I should not have had my firearm on me.

I appreciate any and all help with this and in advance would like to thank you for your time in assisting me on this matter.

In NH anywhere but federal buildings, courtrooms(houses?), and schools.

EDIT: and also any place you are carrying and asked to leave, but that is then trespassing, not a firearm offence.

Last edited:
I think it is a mistake to approach a question such as this on the basis of what might seem "obvious" or "logical." The fact of the matter is that such rules are arbitrary. The rule is whatever it says in the book, and if you avoid looking up the correct answer and get caught, the fact that you logically followed what you thought was an obvious rule will be no defense.

It depends on what you mean by "not allowed" - as you work down this list, you move from the black & white into gray areas:

- Prohibitions under Federal Law

- Prohibitions under State Law (Schools; the surface of the ocean withing 500 ft. of Logan airport; certain game regulations; etc)

- Prohibitions under MA CMR's (for example, CMR 740 dealing with Logan airport) - with varying consequences depending on the enabling legistation for the CMR (good luck trying to figure this one out)

- Administrative prohibitions by judicial order (courthouses)

- Administrative procedures because someone with a badge says so (State House, etc.). Good luck finding a law saying the State House is a "no carry" zone... that was done administratively, not via legislation.

- Private party prohibitions where entrance search is conducted (concerts, etc.)

- Private party prohibitions where the is no entrance search (Jarred's Gallery of Jewelery, for example)

- Places you can legally carry that your issuing chief feels that suitable people do not carry

It's more complicated that average in MA, since being in compliance with the law is not a defense if the issuing chief decides (s)he doesn't approve of your behavior.

Also, remember you can't carry anywhere in MA while under the influence of alcohol - and there is no legal standard for what constitutes "under the influence" when it comes to firearms.

Last edited:
What is the deal at Logan?

Someone told me that you could not carry a firearm anywhere on airport property. This included driving your car into the airport to pick someone up and never even getting out of your car.

I am not inquiring about "Travelling with Firearms", just what I should be doing if I am carrying, transporting and/or storing in a vehicle, while dropping off or picking up someone at Logan.

What are the Federal and State laws on this? I can't find 740 CMR sec 21.00 available anywhere on line. Only part of 740 CMR but not the section dealing with Firearms and Explosives.

Guys it's pretty simple to do WHEN IN DOUBT DON"T... Unless ya want to be the test case. Tain't worth the possible loss of your ability to own or carry. If ya think YOU are above the law go ahead and do what YOU think is legal and let US know how ya did.

What is the deal at Logan?

Someone told me that you could not carry a firearm anywhere on airport property. This included driving your car into the airport to pick someone up and never even getting out of your car.

I am not inquiring about "Travelling with Firearms", just what I should be doing if I am carrying, transporting and/or storing in a vehicle, while dropping off or picking up someone at Logan.

What are the Federal and State laws on this? I can't find 740 CMR sec 21.00 available anywhere on line. Only part of 740 CMR but not the section dealing with Firearms and Explosives.

I've OCd at Manchester Airport, got out of my car to greet my guest with an number of Londonderry/Manchester police there. I greeted them with a nod and hello as I walked around my car to open the door for my guest and load their luggage in my car. About all they could have done was to

Of course Logan may be a different story (and even if I had a MA LTC I wouldn't dream of OCing there). There is no federal law except when trying to go through security. But I probably wouldn't try entering any building OCing. non-secure terminal area while CC'ing sure.

Are you speaking specifically about MA? Because this is the general laws forum.

Sorry, I was just replying to this post and saw where Rob had alluded to the mass laws 740CMR.

I am interested in how this would affect me a Mass LTC-A ALP at Logan. So whether it's a state or federal, I would like to know what the rules are.

Life shouldn't be this complicated.

I can't find 740 CMR sec 21.00 available anywhere on line. Only part of 740 CMR but not the section dealing with Firearms and Explosives.

---

21.11 Firearms and Dangerous Weapons

(a) Firearms and Explosives. No person (except federal or state law enforcement officers, officers, Post Office, Customs, express and air carrier employees or members of the Armed Forces of the United States and Massachusetts National Guard on official duty, who are authorized and licensed to carry firearms and explosives) shall carry any firearms or explosives on the airport.

All persons other than those in the excepted classes shall, while on the airport, surrender all such objects in their possession to the Office in Charge of State Police Troop F.

(b) Dangerous Weapons and Prohibited Items. No person (except federal or state law enforcement officers, Post Office, Customs, or members of the Armed Forces of the United States and Massachusetts National Guard on official duty), unless authorized by the Authority, shall carry in a sterile area of the airport a knife or other dangerous weapon or any item or material prohibited by Federal Aviation Regulations (including but not limited to 14 CFR Part 108) or any FAA orders or directives, to be carried upon an aircraft.

(c) An Air Carrier shall prevent the passage beyond its security checkpoint of any dangerous weapon or any item prohibited by FAA regulation, standard, order or directive to be carried on aircraft.

(d) No person shall possess, either on the individual's person or on or in his/her accessible property within a sterile or restricted area of the Airport, a dangerous weapon or an item prohibited by FAA regulations, standard, order or directive to be carried on aircraft.

---

(Penalties are $50 first offense in a 12 month period, $150 second, and $250 third)

Last edited:
Thanks for the law post. Is this online somewhere?

" No person... shall carry any firearms or explosives on the airport."

I guess the "on the airport" phrase is pretty clear. But does anyone have any idea where the airport property lines exist? Somebody told me that as soon as I come out of the TW tunnel, I am on "airport" property !

---

21.11 Firearms and Dangerous Weapons

(a) Firearms and Explosives. No person (except federal or state law enforcement officers, officers, Post Office, Customs, express and air carrier employees or members of the Armed Forces of the United States and Massachusetts National Guard on official duty, who are authorized and licensed to carry firearms and explosives) shall carry any firearms or explosives on the airport.
All persons other than those in the excepted classes shall, while on the airport, surrender all such objects in their possession to the Office in Charge of State Police Troop F.

(b) Dangerous Weapons and Prohibited Items. No person (except federal or state law enforcement officers, Post Office, Customs, or members of the Armed Forces of the United States and Massachusetts National Guard on official duty), unless authorized by the Authority, shall carry in a sterile area of the airport a knife or other dangerous weapon or any item or material prohibited by Federal Aviation Regulations (including but not limited to 14 CFR Part 108) or any FAA orders or directives, to be carried upon an aircraft.

(c) An Air Carrier shall prevent the passage beyond its security checkpoint of any dangerous weapon or any item prohibited by FAA regulation, standard, order or directive to be carried on aircraft.

(d) No person shall possess, either on the individual's person or on or in his/her accessible property within a sterile or restricted area of the Airport, a dangerous weapon or an item prohibited by FAA regulations, standard, order or directive to be carried on aircraft.

---

(Penalties are $50 first offense in a 12 month period, $150 second, and $250 third)

I must be dense or just can't read. I've highlighted two areas above. In one area it says no carrying "on the airport" and further below it says no carrying in "sterile or restricted area." I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that I could carry at Logan, but not beyond the check-in area. I did get a reply from Manchester Airport that this was acceptable there. Any plain English answers out there for us dimmys.

I must be dense or just can't read. I've highlighted two areas above. In one area it says no carrying "on the airport" and further below it says no carrying in "sterile or restricted area." I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that I could carry at Logan, but not beyond the check-in area. I did get a reply from Manchester Airport that this was acceptable there. Any plain English answers out there for us dimmys.

Paragraph (a) is specifically restricting firearms from airport property. Paragraph (d) is restricting any dangerous weapons or FAA prohibited items from the sterile area.

Paragraph (a) is specifically restricting firearms from airport property. Paragraph (d) is restricting any dangerous weapons or FAA prohibited items from the sterile area.

Yo entiendo. Funny how the Manchester Airport will allow licensed carry on their airport and Logan won't. Gotta be careful out there.

Yo entiendo. Funny how the Manchester Airport will allow licensed carry on their airport and Logan won't. Gotta be careful out there.

And in some states you can carry all over the unsecured airport property but not in the terminal building.

While reading through 740 CMR it seems to me that these regs were written for individuals that are working on airport property. IANAL but that is how I interpret it. I of course could be completely wrong. I hate to open up an old thread but was just reading through this and wanted to give my two cents.

A) This is CMR, different from MGL

B) The restrictive interpretation propounded by some posters here says that you may NOT check any guns in baggage. I see not exempted class of travelers with checked baggage.

As we know that guns in declared, checked baggages is okay, we can infer that the restrictive interpretation is wrong.

--jcr

I was not clear on the Logan and CCW laws but assumed it was a no, no. After driving half way there to pick up my wife last year I realized I was carrying. To me its like leaving home with my wallet, just habit to carry. Well I turned around to leave my gun at home, spen 3 extra hours in traffic. When I finally got there I ran into two TSA agents and came right out and asked them if it was of to carry concealed with a LTC, they both said if I was licensed I was ok. I'm not sure I would risk it after reading the laws, maybe the TSA doesn't know what they are talking about (by the way, these are the guys with the AR's in the airport) I was fully expecting the full strip search after asking them but they were totally cool about it? Kind of confusing.

I was not clear on the Logan and CCW laws but assumed it was a no, no. After driving half way there to pick up my wife last year I realized I was carrying. To me its like leaving home with my wallet, just habit to carry. Well I turned around to leave my gun at home, spen 3 extra hours in traffic. When I finally got there I ran into two TSA agents and came right out and asked them if it was of to carry concealed with a LTC, they both said if I was licensed I was ok. I'm not sure I would risk it after reading the laws, maybe the TSA doesn't know what they are talking about (by the way, these are the guys with the AR's in the airport) I was fully expecting the full strip search after asking them but they were totally cool about it? Kind of confusing.
The Logan prohibition is via CMR, which is state regulation. TSA enforces federal law and may very well be unaware of Mass law and regulation.

The opinion of a TSA employee will not help you when the state police are arresting you.

The opinion of a TSA employee will not help you when the state police are arresting you.

While is it not certain a CMR violation is arrestable (not worth testing), it is well established that the doctrine of entrapment by estoppell does not apply when the defendant attempts to rely on the representation from a state level official in regards to federal law, or vice-versa - so even if you could prove TSA told you it was "OK", it would be legally irrelevant. If you could prove that the MSP told you it was OK (which they won't), this defense would be available to you.

The Logan prohibition is via CMR, which is state regulation. TSA enforces federal law and may very well be unaware of Mass law and regulation.

I can't imagine ANY TSA employee carrying an assault rifle at Logan. I wouldn't trust any of them with a sharp pencil. Are we sure he didn't talk with a Trooper decked out in military style BDUs?

That aside, a very long time ago a MSP Trooper told me that it was illegal to possess any firearms on "Massport property" (this was way before Al Whore invented the Internet). My guess is that he was referring to this CMR. That could be a mighty stretch of the authority of the underlying MGL that created the CMR, but I don't know anyone who wishes to be a test case.

While is it not certain a CMR violation is arrestable (not worth testing), it is well established that the doctrine of entrapment by estoppell does not apply when the defendant attempts to rely on the representation from a state level official in regards to federal law, or vice-versa - so even if you could prove TSA told you it was "OK", it would be legally irrelevant. If you could prove that the MSP told you it was OK (which they won't), this defense would be available to you.

Now, Massport covers a LOT of territory . . . more than most of us realize. Here are some links to consider. It even used to (until 2010) include the Mystic River (Tobin) Bridge!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MassPort

[Massport facilitiesAirports

Seaports and maritime facilities

The Port of Boston includes Cruiseport Boston and facilities in the Boston Marine Industrial Park in South Boston, and others in East Boston and Charlestown:[SUP][4][/SUP]

• Black Falcon Cruise Terminal (a.k.a. Cruiseport Boston), One Black Falcon Avenue, South Boston
  • Paul W. Conley Terminal, First & Farragut Road, South Boston - Container port
  • Boston Autoport, Charlestown - Automobile shipping, leased to private operator.
  • The Boston Fish Pier, South Boston - Seafood processing, acquired in 1972.
  • Mystic Piers 48,49 and 50, Charlestown - Used for bulk storage and shipping of salt since the 1980s
  • Medford Street Terminal, Charlestown - Dock, office, and warehouse areas, purchased in 1986 from Revere Sugar Refinery and Somerville Lumber.
  • East Boston Shipyard and Marina - Marginal Street, East Boston - Former Navy and Bethlehem Steel site, equipped for ship repair.
  • Massport Marine Terminal (MMT)/North Jetty, South Boston - Used for Big Dig staging, berths now available. Being developed for seafood processing.
  • Fargo Street Terminal, South Boston - Storage and support activities
  • International Cargo Terminal, 88 Black Falcon Avenue, South Boston - Warehouses and office space
Transportation services

Massport Shuttle

The Massport Shuttle bus connects all terminals at Boston Logan International Airport to Airport Station on the MBTA Blue Line, as well as the water taxi dock on Harborside Drive.[SUP][5][/SUP]

• 11 serves all the terminals. (operates from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm)
  • 22 serves terminals A, B and the Blue Line station. (operates from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm)
  • 33 serves terminals C, E and the Blue Line station. (operates from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm)
  • 55 serves all terminals and the Blue Line station. (operates from 4:00 am to 7:00 am, 10:00 pm to 1:00 am)
  • 66 serves all terminals,South Cargo Area and water taxi dock. (operates from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm)
  • 88 serves all terminals and the economy parking lot. (24 hour service)
Logan Express

Massport also operates Logan Express bus service between all terminals and park-and-ride lots in Braintree (near South Shore Plaza), Framingham (Shopper's World), Woburn (Anderson Regional Transportation Center), and Peabody (164 Newbury Street).[SUP][6]

On January 1, 2010, the Tobin Bridge was transferred from Massport to the new Massachusetts Department of Transportation[/SUP]

http://www.massport.com/Pages/Default.aspx

http://www.bostonroads.com/crossings/tobin/

This means that mere possession of any guns on the Bridge was illegal until 2010 when Massport handed over the bridge to Mass DOT!! That is if one were to believe the CMR as a valid "law"!! Hmm, I wonder how many felons that made of "regular folks"!!

Logan Airport is OFF LIMITS to concealed carry as stated by this referance...http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf

You can however have an empty firearm in a locked box (including a locked truck) and this would be legal. See also... https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/10/30/740cmr30.pdf

Skip
Only if it is packed as cargo, not in any other circumstance per the CMR.

Also this applies to OTHER Massport airports (Worcester and Bedford come to mind).

Patriot's Day?

DSC02323.jpg

Back
Top Bottom