Places to shoot

I might be out of touch but are there any outdoor places to shoot like a pit or something.Trying to teach son some immediate action drills and my range doesnt allow.

I might be out of touch but are there any outdoor places to shoot like a pit or something.Trying to teach son some immediate action drills and my range doesnt allow.
I used to know this sandpit outside of Marlboro, not really sure of the town, last time I drove by they were building condos or offices or some other BS, that was decades ago. Sadly these places are going the way of the Dodo.

Behind my house. Someone on here uses it fairly regularly - although they've cut back this year. Last year, you were a MADMAN whomever you are. LOL.

It requires about a 1/2 mile trudge through the woods. Actually, from my house proper it's probably nearly a mile. My neighbors up the street and those on the streets surrounding have an easier time getting there.

I went to look at the one people used in my old neighborhood in Easton growing up - it's a development now. LOL. It's all gone. GONE! We lived in the middle of nowhere back then. Now it's all houses.

I would say if you don't know something local to you and know the area, finding a random sand pit from some guys on NES is probably not a good idea. Maybe find another range to join?

Damn. Looking around on Googz Maps things have really changed. There was another sand pit nearby. It was across the street from a condo complex built in 1975 or so. This was 77 or 78. Two kids in my school and bus were digging a tunnel in teh sand pit. Yeah. A tunnel. They were in the 3rd grade. The tunnel collapsed. One got out. The other didn't. It was major news in the town. Just awful. I didn't like either kid - they were punks. But I felt sad for the kid who died and especially his single mom. :(

Today - houses. Go figure. LOL

Finding a sand pit to shoot in these days is tough, it’s like a lost piece of Americana. There is one in the woods behind my house, but the road is so washed out now you need ATV’s to get back there. I rode back there yesterday and did some shooting, it was great. You can shoot anything you want because you are out in the middle of nowhere so nobody will bother you.

I used to know this sandpit outside of Marlboro, not really sure of the town, last time I drove by they were building condos or offices or some other BS, that was decades ago. Sadly these places are going the way of the Dodo.

That was probably Bonazzoli Construction sand pit on the Marlborough/Hudson line. I shot there also, long time ago!!

Close to where i live there are some farm fields which have been traditionally used for hunting. On the edge of one of those fields theres a dirt hump that lots of people have stacked trash and bottles in and shot up: tons of shotgun shells and some pistol brass as well. I dont know if its legal, otherwise id zip down there a few times a week and practice.

If anyone knows if its legal to shoot on someone elses otherwise unmarked “private” public use land let me know!

Behind my house. Someone on here uses it fairly regularly - although they've cut back this year. Last year, you were a MADMAN whomever you are. LOL.

It requires about a 1/2 mile trudge through the woods. Actually, from my house proper it's probably nearly a mile. My neighbors up the street and those on the streets surrounding have an easier time getting there.

I went to look at the one people used in my old neighborhood in Easton growing up - it's a development now. LOL. It's all gone. GONE! We lived in the middle of nowhere back then. Now it's all houses.

I would say if you don't know something local to you and know the area, finding a random sand pit from some guys on NES is probably not a good idea. Maybe find another range to join?

Damn. Looking around on Googz Maps things have really changed. There was another sand pit nearby. It was across the street from a condo complex built in 1975 or so. This was 77 or 78. Two kids in my school and bus were digging a tunnel in teh sand pit. Yeah. A tunnel. They were in the 3rd grade. The tunnel collapsed. One got out. The other didn't. It was major news in the town. Just awful. I didn't like either kid - they were punks. But I felt sad for the kid who died and especially his single mom. :(

Today - houses. Go figure. LOL
I remember when that happened, I've thought about it Everytime my kids were playing in sand pits or building tunnels in snow banks, strange the things that stick in your mind

Damn. I knew there are a lot of Tauntonians on this board. But I didn't realize we've got old-school Eastonites here too. LOL

What hte hell was the name of that condo/apartment place?? Pine something?? I wouldn't mind, but in the late 90's, my SIL owned a condo there. You'd think I'd remember it.

Move to AZ. A friend of mine just moved there and he keeps posting pictures. He has a whole damn desert for himself. He just bought a .50 cal Barrett, because he can.

There is a place, you can mail the State and they will give you a permit, but I wont tell you where it is because people are a**holes and make a mess. I'm always picking empty shells and bottles in the shooting areas. D*cks. It's only a matter of time before they stop allowing people to shoot.

I go there when I want to practice fast shooting and my club wont allow it because they dont want noobs seeing us, trying it and shoot all over the place.

Sorry OP, I am sure you are a nice guy, but I dont know you. You have been a member for 7 years and posted 30 times.

I gave enough info for you to hunt for it of you truly want it.

Or just join a club.

Move to AZ. A friend of mine just moved there and he keeps posting pictures. He has a whole damn desert for himself. He just bought a .50 cal Barrett, because he can.

That's the dream right there. However, aside from desert shooting glory, how's the rest of AZ? I have no experience there.

This state is backwards. More land development encroaching on the last remaining outdoor spaces due to noise concerns, yet cans are still outlawed due to some irrational fear that people will be having silent subway duels.

Years ago a buddy and I were shooting .22's at a sand pit. Someone called the cops and they snuck up on us with AR's at the ready and screamed "Drop the weapons!" Scared the shit out of us. We showed them our LTC's and they said "It's illegal to shoot anywhere besides an established shooting range in this town." I asked them to please cite what law that is, because there is no state or town law that prohibits it and one of the cops just stared at me and said "You really want to fight about this right here and now?" I just clammed up and said "Nope" and we went on our way. I've been back there since but with subsonic rounds out of a rifle only. LOL.

Like others said, it's not that common to find anymore. You can find places that are remote enough where as long as you have a safe backdrop and aren't near any neighborhoods, you should be fine. But you still run the risk of someone hearing gunshots and calling in the SWAT. I'm in the SE part of MA and there really isn't that much undeveloped/unused land to find places like that nowadays. But they exist. Out in Western MA I imagine there's much more areas to be found that are remote enough or people in proximity just DGAF.

Also there's a big difference between heading into the sticks and bump firing an AK, versus slow firing a .22 rifle. The latter will bring MUCH less attention to you. ;)

"1987 and step on it..."
hg_wells04.jpg

I'm not butt hurt about anything. What's sad, is you...a 12-year-old stuck in an adult body with apparently nothing else to offer society.
Fudd, seriously you need to move on from this, I can’t believe you are still thinking about it, you must not have a lot going on.... why don’t you go rub some wood stain on some of your fudd guns, and relax, I will tell you tho every time you respond I know I got to you just a little bit, and that’s enough for me

Fudd, seriously you need to move on from this, I can’t believe you are still thinking about it, you must not have a lot going on.... why don’t you go rub some wood stain on some of your fudd guns, and relax, I will tell you tho every time you respond I know I got to you just a little bit, and that’s enough for me

You're the one that needs to move on. You're obsessed with this beyond anything I've ever encountered from an irrational person. You just can't stop yourself from commenting on it.

Yup, I have many fudd guns, AR15s, AK47s, MIA1, mulsurps from WWl and WWll. Let's just chalk it up to being caught up with a stupid person.

images

You're the one that needs to move on. You're obsessed with this beyond anything I've ever encountered from an irrational person. You just can't stop yourself from commenting on it.

Yup, I have many fudd guns, AR15s, AK47s, MIA1, mulsurps from WWl and WWll. Let's just chalk it up to being caught up with a stupid person.

images
Yep 100%fudd

Back
Top Bottom