• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Places to shoot outdoors in NH

Just curious with a few caveats!

moved to Seacoast area NH a few years back. was lucky enough to find a little shooty spot sandpit-type area in Barrington, but it was suddenly shut down last month.

Trying to find a replacement place to shoot. i occasionally use indoor ranges but find the air quality to be not great and i have a history of lung issues so i’m trying to find something outdoors with decent air circulation if possible.

would potentially be willing to join a club or something if i knew going in that the setting was ideal.

any ideas super appreciated :)
i’m just looking for a new place to shoot with minimum hassle and smoke/lead exposure.

Do you not have room behind your house? You only need to be 300ft from other buildings and have a safe back stop to shoot.

If you were already shooting in Barrington you were not far from Major Waldrons, which is a nice enough club.

Private shooting spots are a pretty well guarded secret because they get shut down when a**h***s do a**h*** things, as you recently experienced.

These kinds of posts are usually met with people saying "keep it secret, keep it safe" and variants thereof.

No one with a sweet spot is going to say anything because inevitably it gets ruined once word spreads.

Unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

Really, someone who has been a member of this group for two days asking us to share our most precious secrets with them.
People are justifiably concerned about sharing secrets with people they do not know, especially when those people may be law enforcement pretending to be normal joes.

Really, someone who has been a member of this group for two days asking us to share our most precious secrets with them.
People are justifiably concerned about sharing secrets with people they do not know, especially when those people may be law enforcement pretending to be normal joes.

Why, you don't like shooting with cops? [rolleyes]

I had three nice little spots up here. Two were recently bought and posted. The last one, a guy was doing work on. When he saw me and my son, he got out of the backhoe and made a map in the dirt to get to a new spot.
Once there, a guy was shooting already and it was kinda crowded. He let me and my son cut in and sight in his deer rifle. Then gave us some .243 dies and brass and hunkered down and drew a dirt map to another spot.
That spot turned out perfect for plinking.

I found my original spots by asking at the local gun shop, church and work.

I had three nice little spots up here. Two were recently bought and posted. The last one, a guy was doing work on. When he saw me and my son, he got out of the backhoe and made a map in the dirt to get to a new spot.
Once there, a guy was shooting already and it was kinda crowded. He let me and my son cut in and sight in his deer rifle. Then gave us some .243 dies and brass and hunkered down and drew a dirt map to another spot.
That spot turned out perfect for plinking.

I found my original spots by asking at the local gun shop, church and work.

You live in Dorchester?

These kinds of posts are usually met with people saying "keep it secret, keep it safe" and variants thereof.

No one with a sweet spot is going to say anything because inevitably it gets ruined once word spreads.

Unfortunate, but that's the way it is.
Yes. People f*cking suck. Look at Martin Burns, the area is always full of trash. Scumbags can't clean after themselves.

So yeah, don't expect anyone to tell you of any good spots when you are brand new to the forum.

Welcome to the rice field.

Why, you don't like shooting with cops? [rolleyes]
I’ve shot with lots of cops. For the most part, those that competed in USPSA matches were better than me, but, unfortunately, most others were so bad the safest place to stand was if front of them. And they could never understand how they could be beaten by a guy who fixes gym equipment (not me).

Get the OnX app and look for public lands. Use the Elevation mode to look for a natural ridge backstop. Locate nearby private property and buildings that are too close - 300ft is the legal minimum in NH but much farther will be less hassle. People often have a sense of ownership on nearby public land and might call the cops.

In NH, I can own/use suppressors, so shoot suppressed firearms when “in the woods” to minimize sound - better for my hearing, less disruptive to others.

Get the OnX app and look for public lands. Use the Elevation mode to look for a natural ridge backstop. Locate nearby private property and buildings that are too close - 300ft is the legal minimum in NH but much farther will be less hassle. People often have a sense of ownership on nearby public land and might call the cops.

In NH, I can own/use suppressors, so shoot suppressed firearms when “in the woods” to minimize sound - better for my hearing, less disruptive to others.
Anyone that goes through this trouble to not pay for a club should be named Skinflint King.

Unless you live like 1hr+ from MA where there is plenty if land.

Yes. People f*cking suck. Look at Martin Burns, the area is always full of trash. Scumbags can't clean after themselves.

So yeah, don't expect anyone to tell you of any good spots when you are brand new to the forum.

Welcome to the rice field.
I used to shoot there, the big problem is the white trash dirtbags from Byfield making a mess and blowing up the target stands with their Shotty’s.

Seems like shooting suppressed makes things a lot easier. I’m part of a club but there’s something to be said for being able to just go out in the middle of nowhere and shoot in peace.

Anyone that goes through this trouble to not pay for a club should be named Skinflint King.

Unless you live like 1hr+ from MA where there is plenty if land.

It's not always about the money. There are tons of clubs that prohibit various types of shooting activity. (Like movement up/down/across ranges, especially using rifles, with live guns, steel, plinking, appliance hunting, etc) Often times the only way to fly is either to have your own land or shoot where someone doesn't know/care. Not saying other facilities aren't useful, but nothing beats shooting into the side of a natural gigantic berm in the middle of nowhere.

People are justifiably concerned about sharing secrets with people they do not know, ...
rotk1136.jpg

whatever you do, do NOT shoot at 100 lbs of tannerite.....
I know of some job openings in a dynamic organization that might be right for you.
Math skills a plus...

Back
Top Bottom