Places that you used to just go shooting and nobody gave a crap.

Dan-o

NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
The “Moon”, big sand pit off of Chestnut st in Franklin. Bunch of us would be down there often. Never any problems.
Imagine that, a bunch of unsupervised kids with firearms and zero problems. We must have had better behaved firearms back then.

CapeCodder

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Sand pit off Hamlin Street in Acushnet. Me and my buddies were about 12 years old. I don't recall who had the .22 rifle.
Got stopped by a cop as we were walking down the street one Sunday with the rifle in plain sight. The officer let us know shooting
was not allowed on Sunday, but we were welcome to come back any other day. That was back around 1953 or so.

Daddy Mac

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandy Brow sand pits in Plaistow. We got in off of RT. 110 in Haverhill. Good 4 wheeling and dirt bike trails. Houses started to get built in the mid 80's and that put an end to shooting there.

quiller

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I grew up in Ireland on a small farm. So anywhere on my dad's farm, or our uncle's farm next door. Down the road in what was called the new forest. Which lead right to an old army range where you could shoot any time the army was not there. Up the bog road where my dad had more land or in the bog where we saved turf. Last but not least any island on Lough Ree that was within motor distance from our mooring. I miss it so much...life was grand back then!

frenchman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My favorite place to shoot where nobody gave a crap? Beirut, Lebanon. Close second is the desert in Tchad. Quiet place.

jek

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Used to do a lot of shooting behind what was Paradise Park in Middleton ~35 yrs ago. Another spot was some gravel pits behind a friend's house in Pepperell.

dustoff22

NES Member
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Town dump. Used to ride my bike through town to the dump with my .22 over my shoulder. Rats were plentiful and people were happy to have them executed. Those were the days (mid to late 50's).

mannydog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
"The dump", now the location of the capped municipal landfill in New Bedford. A long time ago I used to go there with my Dad before dusk. This was before the days of putting daily cover over the trash and the place would be swarming with rats everywhere. We would shoot them.

Last edited:

chris_1001

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The old sand pits behind Bernat's Woolen Mill in Uxbridge used to be popular for recreational shooting during the day and other recreation in the evening hours. [wink]

This was back in the late 70's early 80's. There is a old woolen mill behind the house I grew up in and I used to shoot my .22 behind there as a kid. Never any problems.
I shot a ton at a sand pit in uxbridge many years ago. Off Hartford Rd I think. Also at the quarry’s in Milford chicken s#it.

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The "parking lot" in front of my parents' house. My parents' house sat in the middle of 3.5 acres. The driveway came off of the road, wandered a bit, and culminated in a "parking lot" in front of the house. It was set down, with an embankment surrounding three sides, (the house was on the fourth). My dad taught me to shoot there, using a bolt-action .22.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The “Moon”, big sand pit off of Chestnut st in Franklin. Bunch of us would be down there often. Never any problems.
Imagine that, a bunch of unsupervised kids with firearms and zero problems. We must have had better behaved firearms back then.
THIS.

I used to shoot at the Moon too, in the late 70's/ early 80s.
We used pack a pick up with kids and guns maybe a motorcycle and have some good fun. We had an arsenal down there once and the cops showed up because somebody called. They basically told us to be careful, just makin sure we didn't have bazookas or anything belt fed.
When not shooting...….. we'd rat race in the pits with motorcycles, Scouts, pickups were all fair game..
We bent the %$#@ out of an old Dodge pick up after side swiping a hill with 4 of us in the back with a cooler full of cold beverages. I don't know how we all survived
We also got locked in one night when they closed the gait on us. We had to take down a few trees to get out.

Merica! Thanks for the memories

chris_1001

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
In
THIS.

I used to shoot at the Moon too, in the late 70's/ early 80s.
We used pack a pick up with kids and guns maybe a motorcycle and have some good fun. We had an arsenal down there once and the cops showed up because somebody called. They basically told us to be careful, just makin sure we didn't have bazookas or anything belt fed.
When not shooting...….. we'd rat race in the pits with motorcycles, Scouts, pickups were all fair game..
We bent the %$#@ out of an old Dodge pick up after side swiping a hill with 4 of us in the back with a cooler full of cold beverages. I don't know how we all survived
We also got locked in one night when they closed the gait on us. We had to take down a few trees to get out.

Merica! Thanks for the memories
Shot off Lincoln st in franklin. Behind a old abandoned house in the woods. Burned down and the area is all McMansions now.

chris_1001

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
We would go to K-Mart. Get a CCI Mini mag ammo box (650 round pack) for ~$15 and that was the usual Sunday.

Nope. I’d never jump there. Saw lots of crazy stuff. I’ll pass.

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
old train platform in whitman Mass, down behind Babanns ....also getting old bowling pins from Carlyle Bowling....
The Piggery in Abington
Hanson Pits(near the dump)
Just about any stretch of power lines that had a steep hill
Rat control at the dumps

mike1960

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Auburn the sandpits. Near the Auburn Sportsmens Club which did not really have shooting back in the 70s. On weekends every 22 in town seemed to be there. Cops showed up once cause someone brought a 20 gauge. Saw we were all over the age of 12 and no one was drinking said be safe have fun.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Town dump. Used to ride my bike through town to the dump with my .22 over my shoulder. Rats were plentiful and people were happy to have them executed. Those were the days (mid to late 50's).
My uncles grew up in Waltham, back in the 60's they used to shoot rats at the Weston town dump, with their Remington Nylon 66's.
Try doing that nowadays and see how quick a SWAT team shows up.

deerdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Back in the good old days I used to be able to shoot right in my livingroom until the landlord came in and said it was starting to bother the neighbors across the hall.😁

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend of mine back in high school (mid 90's) took me out to Berlin MA to some field with a berm. He had an FID card and two shotguns. Must have been a local thing that was kosher with LEO, as there were shell casings everywhere. Was not fun being introduced to shooting with slugs, but hey, I eventually came around. Man we were dumb back then. No ear pro. Only went there once and I probably wouldn't be able to point at a map where it was.

Top Bottom