• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Place to try a new rifle around Boston

This is great and all but wholly unrealistic for what he's trying to do. Clubs are being swamped with hundreds of new applicants, especially in more populated areas. Source: a gun club president I spoke to today in charge of a 550-member club.

The guy's trying to shoot a rifle to make sure its ok. Telling him to pony up $200-600 or more and wait months is about as helpful as a suggestion as telling someone to buy a Barrett .50BMG for a first rifle:

Civil War arms

He's not going to get into a club any time soon and he's sure as shit not going to be able to inspect a club, view the facilities, meet current members, and participate in events prior to applying.
$200-$600!? Wait months?? What the hell range do you belong too?!

I was just being sarcastic, I grew up not too far from there we used to take our 22s up there to shoot when we were kids , long time ago loooooong time ago

Oh I know. Apologies if I came off too serious. I abut Allandale woods and my current boss used to raise hell in there. That and the Bellevue hill water tower area. For an “urban” area there’s certainly plenty of wooded area around here.

You're not grasping my point. Clubs are going to be backed up with new applicants for months, maybe for the rest of this year. How would you respond if you were a club membership secretary or a president and 100 new applicants just applied? Are you going to bring in 100 new members when you can't even hold a public membership meeting to swear in new members?
You are making an assumption and painting with a broad brush.

I can only speak for one club, but Mansfield F&G has been open for weeks now and has held meetings via Zoom. They are also accepting new members, 10 were voted in at the meeting a week ago. The wait time to join is only until the next monthly meeting and no requirement for work parties and the BOD will gladly sponsor new members. First year is $260.00 (pro-rated will be much lower this time of year) and $125.00 subsequent years. Indoor range is likely to be completed before the end of this year, meanwhile there are 50 and 100 yd ranges to use.

Know anyone with a boat? In MA isn't anything illegal about it generally and past about 3 miles (its a line drawn on the chart, not exactly 3 miles) you are in Federal waters, MA laws do not apply.

This is great and all but wholly unrealistic for what he's trying to do. Clubs are being swamped with hundreds of new applicants, especially in more populated areas. Source: a gun club president I spoke to today in charge of a 550-member club.

Every club is different, bear in mind in MA (and the guy who posted this thread is in MA) the "swamping" is going to be relatively limited considering that licensing has been shut down since April in some places, there's not going to be that big of a flood, other than by existing LTC/FID holders that let their memberships lapse somewhere. Now yes, there will be new people, but most of those newbies haven't even sniffed the inside of a PD for an app yet. Those people won't even have plastic until August, if they're REEEEEALY lucky and live in the right town. Most people are
going to be later than that, given most of the unwashed still need BFS certs and there are only a few places doing them now. Newbs are likey to be queued up into the cold
weather. So for MA peeps, existing LTC/FID holders getting into a new club, is not going to be horrendous in the next 2 months or so if the clubs are taking members. By the time October rolls around? THEN you'll see the dumpster fire you speak of.

In other states where unwashed can buy and own guns, all bets are off, different story, etc. MAs communism kinda will reduce the ambush factor here.

-Mike

Just wanted to say thanks for the great suggestions and IM messages - awesome community on here. Should be all set now.

Just wanted to say thanks for the great suggestions and IM messages - awesome community on here. Should be all set now.
just another plug for cmp/nra/service rifle /highpower clinics. Clubs hosting these are open to the public and you get to learn some fundamental marksmenship. Now some clubs have requirements for safety like keeping your rounds on paper.
The nra/cmp high power targets are pretty big
keeping them on paper is not terrible seeing the target is what 26" wide at 1 00 and only get bigger as you go in distance.

just another plug for cmp/nra/service rifle /highpower clinics. Clubs hosting these are open to the public and you get to learn some fundamental marksmenship. Now some clubs have requirements for safety like keeping your rounds on paper.
The nra/cmp high power targets are pretty big
keeping them on paper is not terrible seeing the target is what 26" wide at 1 00 and only get bigger as you go in distance.

Realistically, some guy who wants to simply wants to test fire a rifle is not going to align well here.

Back
Top Bottom