• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Place to try a new rifle around Boston

Up until now I've been a pistol guy and I belong to an indoor club. I figured it was time to get something with a little more range and built my first AR. Now here's the part I didn't think through - where the heck can I shoot it? I'm in Metrowest but am happy to travel. Any suggestions on where I can go and run it through its paces without being a member? Are there any MFS-like places with rifle ranges open to the public? I'm also happy to provide all ammo & buy beers afterward as a guest somewhere.

Last edited:
Maynard Rod & Gun is where I’m a member. Good people, good club. Lower on the Fudd scale than others. Harvard is excellent from what I hear.
Maynard doesn't let non-members shoot there unless they are a guest of a member.

lots of places are members only or members & households only these days due to the plague

The best place to perform a function check of a rifle, just to make sure it works and maybe do some sighting in at 25 yards, would be an indoor pay range. The ones down here in RI are all currently open to guests as far as I know.

AFS would work but you can’t really stretch it’s legs there. If I knew Hopkinton was allowing guests, I’d invite you. Unfortunately I’m not on the e-mail list so I have no idea.
Sorry

Granite State, only 70' but they allow rifles....... and MGs
We like gun up here.

it's time you might want to suck it up and consider joining a club. i find it crazy that someone would own guns in eastern massachusetts and not have a regular place to practice and shoot. we're not in the boonies or the western united states where you can drive an hour and be in the desert and blast away. some of the more rural clubs are cheaper to join. not condemning, just sayin' ;)

it's time you might want to suck it up and consider joining a club. i find it crazy that someone would own guns in eastern massachusetts and not have a regular place to practice and shoot. we're not in the boonies or the western united states where you can drive an hour and be in the desert and blast away. some of the more rural clubs are cheaper to join. not condemning, just sayin' ;)

This is great and all but wholly unrealistic for what he's trying to do. Clubs are being swamped with hundreds of new applicants, especially in more populated areas. Source: a gun club president I spoke to today in charge of a 550-member club.

The guy's trying to shoot a rifle to make sure its ok. Telling him to pony up $200-600 or more and wait months is about as helpful as a suggestion as telling someone to buy a Barrett .50BMG for a first rifle:

Civil War arms

He's not going to get into a club any time soon and he's sure as shit not going to be able to inspect a club, view the facilities, meet current members, and participate in events prior to applying.

I'm in Metrowest but am happy to travel.
Place to try a new rifle around Boston
Metrowest isn't really "around Boston" but in any case, you're searching in the wrong direction.

it's time you might want to suck it up and consider joining a club.
This is great and all but wholly unrealistic for what he's trying to do. Clubs are being swamped with hundreds of new applicants, especially in more populated areas. Source: a gun club president I spoke to today in charge of a 550-member club.

The guy's trying to shoot a rifle to make sure its ok. Telling him to pony up $200-600 or more and wait months is about as helpful as a suggestion as telling someone to buy a Barrett .50BMG for a first rifle:

Civil War arms

He's not going to get into a club any time soon and he's sure as shit not going to be able to inspect a club, view the facilities, meet current members, and participate in events prior to applying.
What's the point of having a rifle if you can't shoot it?

The guy's trying to shoot a rifle to make sure its ok. Telling him to pony up $200-600 or more and wait months is about as helpful as a suggestion as telling someone to buy a Barret .50BMG for a first rifle:
right, but the next time he has a place to go. i don't see why you would think this is an unreasonable suggestion. as i said in my post
i find it crazy that someone would own guns in eastern massachusetts and not have a regular place to practice and shoot.

Civil War arms

100%. Already belong to a club for pistols. Looking for a spot to try out a new rifle. Old threads are also pretty much irrelevant given the rush and shutdowns surrounding covid & the downtown craziness.

Simple question, not asking for a kidney here.

Metrowest isn't really "around Boston" but in any case, you're searching in the wrong direction.

What's the point of having a rifle if you can't shoot it?

He can use a pay range, like I said. He's trying to shoot one gun one time to make sure it works properly. Once he finds the pay range insufficient for his purposes, which will likely happen soon, he should start considering clubs. Might take one indoor range session, might take a year or two.

right, but the next time he has a place to go. i don't see why you would think this is an unreasonable suggestion. as i said in my post

You're not grasping my point. Clubs are going to be backed up with new applicants for months, maybe for the rest of this year. How would you respond if you were a club membership secretary or a president and 100 new applicants just applied? Are you going to bring in 100 new members when you can't even hold a public membership meeting to swear in new members?

You're not grasping my point. Clubs are going to be backed up with new applicants for months, maybe for the rest of this year. How would you respond if you were a club membership secretary or a president and 100 new applicants just applied? Are you going to bring in 100 new members when you can't even hold a public membership meeting to swear in new members?

Not if the economy continues to decline. I don’t think we’ve bottomed out yet, but that’s just my opinion.

Up until now I've been a pistol guy and I belong to an indoor club. I figured it was time to get something with a little more range and built my first AR. Now here's the part I didn't think through - where the heck can I shoot it? I'm in Metrowest but am happy to travel. Any suggestions on where I can go and run it through its paces without being a member? Are there any MFS-like places with rifle ranges open to the public? I'm also happy to provide all ammo & buy beers afterward as a guest somewhere.
Jamaica plain anytime after midnight......

100%. Already belong to a club for pistols. Looking for a spot to try out a new rifle. Old threads are also pretty much irrelevant given the rush and shutdowns surrounding covid & the downtown craziness.

Simple question, not asking for a kidney here.

You can try the Hot Brass range in West Springfield you are in the real metro west where the dragons be.;)

Bob

Indoor Gun Range | Shooting Range Springfield MA | Hot Brass - Guns Inc. — Hot Brass Firearm and Bow Range | West Springfield

Arnold Arboretum. JP/Ros;)

I’m a few blocks away. That place is so littered with people at this point I’d be afraid to sneeze nearby. They’ve also blocked off ALL street parking at both entrances with BPD saw horses, signs and tape. Bastards.

I’m a few blocks away. That place is so littered with people at this point I’d be afraid to sneeze nearby. They’ve also blocked off ALL street parking at both entrances with BPD saw horses, signs and tape. Bastards.
I was just being sarcastic, I grew up not too far from there we used to take our 22s up there to shoot when we were kids , long time ago loooooong time ago

Back
Top Bottom