• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pizza ordering in 2010

SiameseRat said:
[shock]

OMG that was scary. It doesn't seem like we're that far away from that being reality...

All that info is there just sitting on servers waiting to be tied together. Very scary!

JonJ said:
SiameseRat said:
[shock]

OMG that was scary. It doesn't seem like we're that far away from that being reality...

All that info is there just sitting on servers waiting to be tied together. Very scary!

Again- I say [shock]

That'd be the all-time worst virus ever. The floodgate virus which would make it all connect. ACK I'll have nightmares just thinking about it.

e_a_olson said:
HIPAA laws would prevent the heathcare information from being shared, at least with the current law structure.

They'd prevent that sharing exactly the same way that laws against murder, rape and robbery make this a crime free country, A lot of the consulting I'm currently doing is with clients in education and health care. In both cases there are strict federal and state laws restricting copying of and access to individually identifiable information. I gave up even raising an eyebrow at finding both institutions and individual educators or health care managers who use social security numbers as personal identifiers (there's a federal law that explicitly prohibits this for any educational institution), downloading huge data exerpts onto personal computers (many of which are networked) or similar prohibited practices. I once came across an unprotected file that contained the names, addresses, dates of birth and social security numbers of every person who had attended or applied for admission to any U Mass campus, Massachusetts community or state college for roughly ten years. It's not only worse than most people imagine, it's worse than they're even capable of imagining.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom