Pizza Box Reactive Targets

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Did you ever wonder what you could do with all those leftover pizza boxes that you can't really recycle because of all the grease stains?

Make them into targets. Take some clay targets (I use the White Flyer Biodegradable ones) and rubber cement and you have a great target. My son and I put them on the 100' berm at our range and use our .22 pistols. Cheap, disposable, and fun.

IMG_0613.jpg

what.....you can't recycle pizza boxes because of the grease stains? I put them in recycle and they have never come back...

Still, very creative idea. I like it. I will also try it because the kids get board quickly shooting at paper...

Not only do I recycle pizza boxes with grease stains, but I'd recycle boxes that have been used as reactive clay holder target backers. Nice idea, thanks!

what.....you can't recycle pizza boxes because of the grease stains? I put them in recycle and they have never come back...

They don't return them but you are wasting some dude's time who has to pull that out of the batch.

Lol Frosty.
I read the title of this thread thinking you were filling up pizza boxes with tanerite...

Great idea!

~Matt

Still, very creative idea. I like it. I will also try it because the kids get board quickly shooting at paper...

Not only do I recycle pizza boxes with grease stains, but I'd recycle boxes that have been used as reactive clay holder target backers. Nice idea, thanks!

They don't return them but you are wasting some dude's time who has to pull that out of the batch.

This. You guys aren't really recycling them - you're just throwing them in the trash in a very roundabout way.

If it's Domino's eat the boxes and use the pizza as targets.

[rofl]

In my town ALL cardboard goes into the "cardboard" dumpster/compressor/recycle thing at the transfer station. Ron

It used to be the case that you couldn't recycle pizza boxes because of the grease stains but my town's recycling instructions now say to put them in with the rest of the cardboard. I'm not sure what if anything has changed.

I made one today for my kids to shoot their wrist rockets at. Worked great, but I have big pile of orange chips on my lawn now. Thanks for the great idea!!

When I hear/read "reactive target" I don't think of clay pigeons... I think of something that goes BOOM!!

BTW, that IS something you can make yourself IF you know how to google... [devil] [pot]

For those who may be...unaware...here is something for your edification:

Frequently Asked Questions: Contamination

Q: What items are considered contaminants in recycling?
A: Many items can be considered contaminants. Contamination happens when non-recyclable items are mixed in with recyclables items or when recyclable items are placed in the wrong recycling bins. Innocent looking paper smeared with food or grease cannot be processed with clean paper and can ruin a newly made product if it is not caught before it goes to the factory. Too much contamination is the reason manufacturers reject tons of recyclable paper each year. For each category, the sign on the bins tells you what not to put in the bin. Please read these signs carefully!

Q: Why can't pizza boxes be recycled?
A: Pizza boxes are made from corrugated cardboard, however the cardboard becomes soiled with grease, cheese, and other foods once the pizza has been placed in the box. Once soiled, the paper cannot be recycled because the paper fibers will not be able to be separated from the oils during the pulping process. Food is a major source of contamination in the various paper categories.

http://bgm.stanford.edu/pssi_faq_contamination

I have a wood stove. In the off season I stuff it with trash mail, burn able paper products (pizza boxes) and light it off once a week. The ash goes out to the garden when I clean the stove out.

Back
Top Bottom