• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pit Bulls

Dog contol is a lot like gun control. Once we identify "evil dogs" then we can make the quantum leap and identify "evil guns".

I don't know about that. Dogs are living beings that are influenced by many things... breeding, training, environment, instincts, etc. You can never completely predict the actions of any living being. Therefore dog control is a necessity, much like people control.

Tell your dog to sit and stay and eventually it'll move and do SOMETHING....benign or bad. If I tell my .45 to sit and stay it will be their until time stands still.

Controlling guns by laws is completely unnecessary because a gun is inanimate. Controlling the people is the real issue.

Relating dog control to gun control, I think, is a stretch.

The worst breeds to work with are usually Asian breeds: Shiba Inu, Chow chow, LhasaApso, ShihTzu,

Have you really seen issues with ShihTsu's? I've NEVER seen one that was anything but the most loveable, docile pet. I've had one, other members of my family have had several and all have been totally adorable. I've never seen anyone of them that has had a mean tooth in it's head. We've raised 7 grandkids with at least one around at all times and they love babies and anyone who will pay them any attention at all. I've never seen a more affectionate animal.

As you know, they are in need of a haircut once in a while. I could sit my little Mindy down, put my finger under her 'chin' and clip the hair under/over her eyes with scissors or a clipper and she wouldn't evern blink. She was completely docile and totally loving. NEVER barked or gave me any worry. If we played and she grabbed my finger a little too hard with her teeth, a simple "ow" would make her release and look sorry she hurt you and ask for forgiveness. Any of the ones our family has/had would behave the same way.

I had to put my 15 year old down a few months ago and it affected me nearly as much as when one of my family members died.

The reason for the length of my post is that I am totally shocked that you would report that they have 'issues'.

If you've had problems with any, I'd like to hear about it.

Personally I've seen more problems with chows,and akita's. On that note though any dog can have issues. Doesn't matter the breed. If a dog is abused,not trained etc. They all have their own personalites,some are more alpha than others,and some no matter what would not hurt anything. Some breeds are more aggressive tha others. You just have to be careful. I have a cocker,which thanks to my nephew does not like little kids. She is also extremely protective of ME. I know this and do not put her in a situation where there are little kids. It is the owner to take responsibilty for their pets. Just like I would not let anyone hold one of my ferrets,because she was abused before we got her from the shelter. She has to test everyone and she will bite to see what your reaction is. I do not want to have to put down a pet for my negligence. I take the responsibilty seriously and don't put the animal in situations that I know will be a problem. My other cocker absolutely loves everyone kids included.

MrsWildweasel said:
If you got a pit bull from a reputable breeder,would be the only way to go.

My uncle is an ABDA breeder. He breeds Pit Bulls, and Dachshund's. I would buy one of his Pitts in a second. He has been breeding pitts for about the past 15 years. At any one given time he will have 5-10 mature dogs at his house. He had NEVER had one go bad on him or any of his family. He has raised literally hundreds of Pitts around his 3 kids and not one incident.

Adam

Adam, Breeders like that also breed for the betterment of the breed are the way to go. I would not get a pitbull from the run of the mill backyard breeder.
Which is what I am referring to. Your back yard breeder could be inbreeding,also not knowingly breed a more aggresive pitbull too.

Having worked in a dog training facility,I saw good and bad in most breeds. I personally do not have a problem with a pit bull. I would be very careful in where I got it from. I have a soft spot though for spaniels.

"Relating dog control to gun control, I think, is a stretch."

Well my ASA Lightingfast Chicken Plucker, Mass Power and Electric Company friend, that is exactly what some would do.

Jan Libourel, the former handgun editor of Guns and Ammo Magazine wrote several interesting essays on that very subject. He owned Akitas.

The very same people who villainize dogs, villainize guns. Right here in the Commonwealth, we have "good guns" and we have "bad guns", just like the City of Boston has "good dogs" and "bad dogs". There have been municipalities throughout the United States that have banned "bad dogs" much in the way Morton Grove, Illinois banned firearms. Regretably, it is not a stretch. It may not seem to make much sense to you, but it makes a lot of sense to a lot of people. I am not saying that it is a good thing. or the right thing, or the logical thing, but it is reality in 2005.

You and I are fortunate in a way, in that we have lived most of our lives in a United States that is fading fast.

With all best wishes, and as some of my good friends say "ASA Lives"

Mark

"Relating dog control to gun control, I think, is a stretch."

Well my ASA Lightingfast Chicken Plucker, Mass Power and Electric Company friend, that is exactly what some would do.

Jan Libourel, the former handgun editor of Guns and Ammo Magazine wrote several interesting essays on that very subject. He owned Akitas.

The very same people who villainize dogs, villainize guns. Right here in the Commonwealth, we have "good guns" and we have "bad guns", just like the City of Boston has "good dogs" and "bad dogs". There have been municipalities throughout the United States that have banned "bad dogs" much in the way Morton Grove, Illinois banned firearms. Regretably, it is not a stretch. It may not seem to make much sense to you, but it makes a lot of sense to a lot of people. I am not saying that it is a good thing. or the right thing, or the logical thing, but it is reality in 2005.

You and I are fortunate in a way, in that we have lived most of our lives in a United States that is fading fast.

With all best wishes, and as some of my good friends say "ASA Lives"

Mark

Mark, we may disagree on other things, but you're 100% right on this. It's the SAME people, with the SAME mindsets doing this. It's NOT about GUNS, it's about CONTROL.

Obviously, those of you who don't live in Boston

Have never had a run-in with one of these mankillers

Mankiller.jpg

[wink]

SR's right...I've met 3 pits and all three were mush pots. I had a german shepard who I had to watch closely when someone came to the house. If they moved too quick towards either Ed or I, he'd start to growl. He was a 100 pound handful. A good dog, but he was harder to control. Thankfully, when I barked, he listened. :D

Back
Top Bottom