• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Piston Driven AR-15s

IMO, short-stroke piston driven gas system are cool, but not a necessity. The biggest advantage is it keeps the receivers clean.

There are so many new adjustable direct-impingement gas blocks out there. They adjust with a small allen wrench from the side of the handguard. This way, you won't need a dedicated short-stroke BCG, or the additional front weight. Those adjustable gas blocks should be able to handle suppressors.

Completely anecdotal evidence but I have to disagree with this. My LMT piston AR ran flawlessly, literally never once had a hiccup. Never used a suppressor with it but had a dozen 2K round training sessions with it. You could probably make the case for the "piston kits" IMO they are garbage. I wouldn't hesitate to use another LMT piston as my battle rifle.

no short stroke piston system will be as smooth and flat recoiling as a DI / internal piston. LMT makes a fine piston system but still subject to physics.

I have a Stag 8T piston driven and to be honest when shooting it I don’t see much difference between it and my Colt AR 15. It weighs about 1 lb more than the Colt, so it’s hard for me to determine if the difference in the feel is due to the weight or piston system. As far as accuracy, I’m don’t think I'm a good enough shot to issue a judgment. I don’t do enough mag dumps to see any difference in the way they handle heat in the receiver or “cleanliness”. I actually prefer my Sig MCX Virtus to my ARs, it’s also piston driven but it isn’t even consider an AR by Maura.

If you’re not running full auto suppressed, I can’t see any real advantage of piston over DI and then there is that weight penalty.

I must admit I do like the Diamonhead furniture on the 8T.

actually prefer my Sig MCX Virtus to my ARs, it’s also piston driven but it isn’t even consider an AR by Maura
do you mean it is not even a subject for AWB restrictions - no need to pin/weld, etc?

do you mean it is not even a subject for AWB restrictions - no need to pin/weld, etc?
No, it still is subject to AWB meaning you have to pin the stock and put a pin/welded comp/break on it. It just that it doesn’t come under her BS “copies or duplicates” interpretation.

OP if you're looking for piston operated on an AR platform take a look at the Brownells AR180 upper, I've got 2. They run nice, you can use your usual AR lowers and the stuff that goes in/on them, and using a standard AR lower with the KNS Precision AR/MCX adaptor you can use a real folding stock... unless you're in MA.

a polymer lower rifle - why?
They’re light and still durable. But they’d probably feel off-balanced with a piston upper on them.

They’re particularly great as 22lr hosts. I got one that is chopped down slightly so it can be a trainer for the kids. Still a great stock length for me, shooting squared off. The weight below includes both the optic as well as a buffer and spring so I can throw on real uppers if I wanted to.
BCA87DB0-8FD7-4DEB-B596-AD1BD703A8C4.jpeg
9D321EEB-6CA2-4F17-A2A0-DE8637A75A33.jpeg

Last edited:
Completely anecdotal evidence but I have to disagree with this. My LMT piston AR ran flawlessly, literally never once had a hiccup. Never used a suppressor with it but had a dozen 2K round training sessions with it. You could probably make the case for the "piston kits" IMO they are garbage. I wouldn't hesitate to use another LMT piston as my battle rifle.
My Sig MCX is better than all my DI AR’s. 10k+ rds through it, multiple 1k rds a day training classes with it and it has never malfunctioned once. Piston guns seem to be very good and it’s my go to battle gun.👍🏻

I also stamped it and got the 9inch 300blk upper for it. It’s a Great gun.

My Sig MCX is better than all my DI AR’s. 10k+ rds through it, multiple 1k rds a day training classes with it and it has never malfunctioned once. Piston guns seem to be very good and it’s my go to battle gun.👍🏻

I also stamped it and got the 9inch 300blk upper for it. It’s a Great gun.
One of these days I’ll put in an order at the pro shop for an 11.5” upper and 6.75” 300blk barrel.

Never any issue with my LMT either.

Back
Top Bottom