• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

pistol transfer question

glockstar

NES Member
Im looking to purchase a S&W prelock revolver off the GB. The pistol was made in the early 80's. Is it legal to have this handgun shipped to Ma. ? I believe it is but im hearing from people thats not the case it has to be on the EOPS list. Can someone point me in the right direction.

If it is not on the EOPS List no MA FFL is supposed to transfer it to you.

Why don't you do some reading in the MA Gun Law subforum where their are stickies about the laws/rules, etc.?

If it is not on the EOPS List no MA FFL is supposed to transfer it to you.

Why don't you do some reading in the MA Gun Law subforum where their are stickies about the laws/rules, etc.?

Len,
What if the firearm was made before the EOPS list started to exist?

glockstar,
IMO, if the firearm existed before the "Approved Firearm Roster" then you should be good. It really depends on the MA dealer doing your transfer. The smart thing for you and anyone looking to have a firearm transfered into MA is to go and ASK your transfer dealer. I've been told by both GOAL and other dealers that a firearm had to "be in Mass. for it to be transfered". I have yet to have anyone show me where in the MA MGL's this is stated. Go to the dealer's shop you are using for this transfer and ask him.

What if the firearm was made before the EOPS list started to exist? ... I've been told by both GOAL and other dealers that a firearm had to "be in Mass. for it to be transfered". I have yet to have anyone show me where in the MA MGL's this is stated.

It must have been "...owned or possessed..." prior to 10/21/98 by:

1. a FFL holder; or
2. a FID holder; or
3. a LTC holder; or
4. a NR LTC holder

SEE: section 7.05 here...http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/501-cmr-7.pdf

Just came across this post. No problem buying pre-1998 handguns from out of state and having them transferred into MA. I did it with two S&W Model 649s (prelock) which is the shrouded stainless steel version J frame. One I bought in Kentucky over the Internet, and the other I bought in Arizona, again over the Internet and had both transferred at Four Seasons in Woburn.

Back
Top Bottom