Pistol Suppressor

Hey, I didn't see an NFA or suppressor section so posting here.

I am looking to get into a pistol suppressor and looking for suggestions or even better actually being able to try it out if anyone has one and is willing. I am looking to use it on an XD45 and Glock 19 and whatever else I end up adding to the collection. I think I have it narrowed down to either the AAC Ti-Rant 45M or Rugged Suppressors Obsidian 45. I like the idea of having it easy to disassemble for cleaning and being modular so you effectively get two cans for one and the 45 should work on most pistol calibers. The AAC looks louder than the obsidian "on paper" but doesn't require tools for disassembly. Would appreciate any insight or real world experience anyone has.

I recently tried a Silencerco Omega K. It is a nice can and is pretty light.

The problem with most centerfire pistol cans is that they ruin the handling of the gun they are put on. The Glock 17 weighs about 1.4 lbs. Now imagine how it points if you hang 1 lb off the end of the muzzle.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. But most of the people I know who own a centerfire pistol can use it 1 10/th as much as they use rimfire cans. The 3 ounce rimfire can's don't ruin the balance of the gun.

The centerfire handgun cans are typically used for a few rounds, everyone marvels at how quiet the gun is, then the can comes off and goes back in the bag because with a balance point now out beyond the muzzle, actually shooting a silenced centerfire handgun kindof sucks.

Don
p.s. many a 9mm can has been repurposed for use with subsonic .300 blk.

p.p.s. I own what is considered by many to be the best ultralight 9mm can you can get. A deGroat NANO. It is fairly effective but is meant to be run wet and with wipes. This makes it a bit of a hassle to use. Its really best suited for specialized tasks where first round pop needs to be minimized and where bulk is reallly an issue. At only 3 ounced, it does not need a piston to function on browning delayed recoil type actions. Also, because of the wipes, a lot of gas blows back in the guns action.

Last edited:
the dead air ghost was able to bring back wipes as a consumable so that may be work looking into. Id offer ours but I haven't finished the design of our pistol hardware.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but what does "wiped" mean in this context?

A wipe is a material that the bullet has to actually push its way through while going through a can. The aperture returns to zero once the bullet passes. Its usually an incredibly tough type of elastic plastic.

Here is a degroat Nano with the end wipe in an unfired state. No hole. First shot will poke a hole, which will close up and seal the can behind the bullet. This is also why wiped cans tend to push more smoke out the gun.

Back
Top Bottom