• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol Sight Configuration - Preferences?

I just replaced my factory issued sights with XS "big dot" Trijicon Tritium night sights. Do folks have preferences for "dot the i" vs. double-dot rear or "V"? I'm still trying to get used to "dotting the i". The manufacturer's claim is that this style allows for fast target acquisition. Thoughts? BTW, my Sig factory night sights are brighter and larger (diameter).

bd-ft-rt.png

24-7-align.gif

Last edited:
Good post, been wondering the same recently and haven't decided on a new sight. Experience and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking forward to people's opinion, thanks for creating this thread.

I am thinking about going with a fiber optics set up for my 1911. I think they are legal for competition - IDPA or USPSA??

There are a ton of options for fiber optics, the red vs green discussion and multiple price points. So still researching.

(off topic) I Shot a laser sighting system on an AR last weekend at the GOAL shoot. Holy crap, you would have to be blind to miss the target, incredible.

Last edited:
I had a big dot on one of my carry 1911s. I just paid to have it taken off. I despise big dots. They just don't give me the accuracy that I want.

I prefer black on black - front square blade (tritium on carry guns) and a large rear notch on something like a Heinie slant pro. The 10-8 sights look pretty good to me as well, but I haven't had a chance to try one.

I've tried fiber optic tritium tru-glos and was under impressed.

I had a big dot on one of my carry 1911s. I just paid to have it taken off. I despise big dots. They just don't give me the accuracy that I want.

I prefer black on black - front square blade (tritium on carry guns) and a large rear notch on something like a Heinie slant pro. The 10-8 sights look pretty good to me as well, but I haven't had a chance to try one.

I've tried fiber optic tritium tru-glos and was under impressed.

I like those Heinie's (don't we all). I could work with that rear slot. Not sure the 10-8 or Heinie's are available for my Walther PPS. BTW.. I love my Sig factory night sights. Similar to the Heinie's
4095.JPG
I'm gonna play with my big dot for a while and if I can't deal with it will probably swap out (BTW... no sexual innuendo implied [wink])

Last edited:
I am looking forward to people's opinion, thanks for creating this thread.

I am thinking about going with a fiber optics set up for my 1911. I think they are legal for competition - IDPA or USPSA??

There are a ton of options for fiber optics, the red vs green discussion and multiple price points. So still researching.

(off topic) I Shot a laser sighting system on an AR last weekend at the GOAL shoot. Holy crap, you would have to be bling to miss the target, incredible.

Dawson Precision fiber optics are real nice. I prefer a green front and black rear sight. I also like a narrow .095" front sight that give a good amount of light on the sides. I find this is works best for speed and accuracy. Most people use a much to wide front sight that blocks out the light on the sides, this really slows down sight alignment

Dawson Precision fiber optics are real nice. I prefer a green front and black rear sight. I also like a narrow .095" front sight that give a good amount of light on the sides. I find this is works best for speed and accuracy. Most people use a much to wide front sight that blocks out the light on the sides, this really slows down sight alignment

I agree completely on using a simple black rear sight and a narrow front sight. Lots of light on either side really helps.

I haven't tried a Dawson fiber optic front sight yet, but I've been thinking about it.

That is the most common complaint in all reviews...

I use black on black sights. Works for me.

Thanks, this is something I am going to try. The idea to use a narrow front sight makes complete sense!!!! Great tip!!!

I prefer a 3 white dot sight system for most shooting. A front dot, or fiber optic, with plain black rear also works well for me.

I have used the straight 8 style, and do not like it at all. I also found a fiber optic front and rear set draws too much attention to the rear sight.

This is what I found to work for me.

Black rear, night front this is how I set all my guns up. Black and black is the same, however if you are going to shoot in low light the night front lets you know where the front of the gun is. Nothing to line up like dots and dots or dots and lines that distract. This system will get you to point and shoot, not the look to line up dots and or dots and lines and then pull the trigger. Dot systems are OK except most shooters try to line up the dots and this takes time. If you are shooting IDPA this will cost you seconds. The one dot to dot, straight 8 style or big front and line rear can lead you off target if you are taking the time to get them lined up, lost seconds and missing the zero. Fiber optics can be as bad as the three dot system.

Last edited:
My P226 has the "i" style sights, and I'm honestly not a fan. I've got 3-dot night sights on my P239 and i prefer those by far.

I like narrow fiber fronts and plain black rears on my competition guns. When I get around to swapping sights on my carry gun, I plan to go with a night sight front and plain black rear.

I've come to really hate the "big dot" sight system. The XS sights night sights "dot the i" layout is difficult to line up and the big dot doesn't give me the accuracy I would like for anything greater than say 30 feet. The big dot essentially covers a 10x10 target at 50 ft so you just have to spray and pray that you hit the bull. Sadly, I think I'm going to replace these sights with one of the suggestions on this thread or equivalent. Haven't decided yet.
unnamed.jpg

I like narrow fiber fronts and plain black rears on my competition guns. When I get around to swapping sights on my carry gun, I plan to go with a night sight front and plain black rear.

Which manufacturer do you like for your front sight?

For action style shooting I use a fiber optic front and a plain black rear. I've tried a few things and that seems to work best for me.

Which manufacturer do you like for your front sight?

I know you didn't ask me, but Dawson really owns the competition fiber market.

EDIT: By which I mean, if Jar said anything other than "Dawson" I'd eat my shorts.

Last edited:

EDIT: By which I mean, if Jar said anything other than "Dawson" I'd eat my shorts.

Thanks. That seems to be my impression. The last time I went to their site, I couldn't find a narrow front site for a k-frame, but that might be a problem between screen and keyboard.

Thanks. That seems to be my impression. The last time I went to their site, I couldn't find a narrow front site for a k-frame, but that might be a problem between screen and keyboard.

I don't know anything about wheelguns, but I'm not sure if they make revolver sights for anything but the 686.

I'm tempted to change sights just to mess with you. But you're right, I think Dawson is the way to go.
My M&P Pro has a burwell rear and a dawson fiber front. I haven't changed the sights on my SW1911 yet because of the )*#% proprietary dovetail. Dawson makes some stuff for them, but I haven't found the combination that I want. I think they just came out with some more options though because one of the sights I was looking at, the guy I talked to at Dawson didn't even know about.

There's someone that makes replacement revo front sights that a bunch of people use. I don't remember the details on that. Ask Gene G.

Specifically, has anyone replaced the factory sights on the Walther PPS? I was fine with the factory sights, but replaced them with Tritium night sights. I'm looking for informed suggestions on good night sights for the PPS.

Back
Top Bottom