• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol red dots?

Been debating getting some type of red dot for one of my 45's?
What are my options other then trijicon?

Burris, Docter, maybe... for those little sights. For bigger ones, c-more. Just be aware there's a good reason Trijicon gets what they get for an RMR.

This is one of those things that if you skinflint out on it, you would have been better off not doing it at all.

Whatever you do don't buy one of those "chinese optics guy"(COG) gun show holosights, with the different reticles on it that take the 2025 or 2032 battery. Those things are all SHIT and they ALL break. I have a box in my basement with like 2 of them in it I think. They might work OK on a .22 pistol but anything that actually has recoil of any kind will kill them in short order. Or the reticle will be switching on and off, etc. They're just ****ing garbage anyways.

-Mike

Burris, Docter, maybe... for those little sights. For bigger ones, c-more. Just be aware there's a good reason Trijicon gets what they get for an RMR.

This is one of those things that if you skinflint out on it, you would have been better off not doing it at all.

Whatever you do don't buy one of those "chinese optics guy"(COG) gun show holosights, with the different reticles on it that take the 2025 or 2032 battery. Those things are all SHIT and they ALL break. I have a box in my basement with like 2 of them in it I think. They might work OK on a .22 pistol but anything that actually has recoil of any kind will kill them in short order. Or the reticle will be switching on and off, etc. They're just ****ing garbage anyways.

-Mike

What about
http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...th-push-button-controls-parrs02/p/kt-parrs02/

Bought an demo model Aimpoint Micro T-1 http://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-micro-t-1/ with a full warranty. Yes the price was painful but I got it through Samplelist http://www.samplelist.com/ at the recommendation of a NES member who has bought items from them too with good luck (no I have nothing invested in them, I just like the site). The red dot was perfect and I saved a large chunk of change. I shoot my Smith and Wesson Model 41 in competition weekly and I've never been sorry about the Aimpoint purchase. The Aimpoint is incredibly tough and always stays aligned. I've heard too many stories of people going on the cheap for a red dot and then being sorry. So far so good for me.

Not sure about that one specifically but I have had decent luck with Primary's stuff in the past, FWIW.

-Mike

Yeah I know for a rifle they hold up. Just not sure about being on a g21 slide lol .

I just don't want to drop 500$ on a optic and figure out I don't like them . I was going to go with a strike industry plate so I can check it out with out needing to mill my slide before I go all in.

Slide mounting a red dot beats the piss out of it not a f&ckin chance that will last.

I had a slide mounted RMR fail at about 2k rounds, the windage adjustment would drift all over the place and it had nothing to do with a mounting screw. A friends blinks on and off intermittently while shooting. The same friend has gone through 2 cmore rts sights before switching to a full size cmore. Another friend recently mounted a Burris, but has minimal rounds through it.

I know of two Leopolds each with several thousand rounds through them that are holding up fine.

I'm not saying trijicon is junk and Leopold is the best. I have only limited experience and am only telling what I know.

Want to try my M&P with RMR?
I say get something with a good warranty.

Last edited:
I've got a Burris fastfire on my S&W. I like it, but it was royal pita to get it mounted. The S&W has a proprietary dovetail and nobody has a base that fits it. I tried hand-fitting one and failed - I'm not a machinist. I paid a local machinist to make me one and I've been very pleased with it. If the base fits your slide, or you can cut your slide, I'd recommend it. Burris offers lifetime warranty -- and they stand behind it as I can personally attest to.

Now you tell me

... Whatever you do don't buy one of those "chinese optics guy"(COG) gun show holosights, with the different reticles on it that take the 2025 or 2032 battery. Those things are all SHIT and they ALL break. I have a box in my basement with like 2 of them in it I think. They might work OK on a .22 pistol but anything that actually has recoil of any kind will kill them in short order. Or the reticle will be switching on and off, etc. ...

Then again, they might not, sigh.

(Click image to visit Amazon).

Feature laden.
Won't hold zero from session to session on a Ruger Mk. III 22/45.
ISTR it's stable during a session.

Notwithstanding the above, I think the flaw is in the elevation/windage innards -
not the quick disconnect.

Some day I'll try and take it apart to see if there's grit in a joint or something.

I've got a Trijicon RMR (the adjustable LED one) that sat on my FNP 45 for a couple pin shoots, then on my Glock for a season of Ghetto open, and then a few matches on my S&W 929. About halfway through the season on my Glock it started turning off intermittently. Nothing like looking for the dot, not finding it, and having to wing a shot hoping it turns back on. Almost sold my 929 I was so pissed after shooting a match with it.

Nowadays it lives on my 5 year old's savage rascal, which is about all I trust it to.

Were I to go down the slide ride road again I'd probably get the Trijicon dual illuminated version.

If its a 1911, drill and tap the frame for a cmore mount. If its a glock 21, sell it and buy a 1911

I own a 1911 and a glock ;)
I like my 1911's more stock appearance .
I want to try it out on my glock since I can use a adapter I put on with out fully modding it . If I liked it I was going to go all out on my double stack 1911.

Back
Top Bottom