Pistol Powder Recommendation and Source in Western Massachusetts

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
I am looking for a powder recommendation and source (western Mass) for one of the powders below.

Win 231
Unique
Accurate #5

I’m looking to make some lite loads for the Hornady bullets in 9mm and 38 special.

100g Hornady FTX in 9mm
110g Hornady FTX in 38 special

I made a trip to Cabelas in E.Hartford last weekend and they were wiped out of just about everything. The ammo shelves were pretty bare and there were two bottles of powder in the store. No pistol primers either.

The person I was talking to said that they can’t even put any 556 on the shelf. Customers would take it off the stocking cart or out of their hands before it hit the shelf. Crazy times.

Thanks,

Bob

Try Guns & Gear in Agawam. Maybe KC Small Arms in Easthampton. Guns & Gear has always had a good selection. Dunno if they've been cleaned out. I think K&C had an ad recently saying they had reloading stuff.

I am looking for a powder recommendation and source (western Mass) for one of the powders below.

Win 231
Unique
Accurate #5

I’m looking to make some lite loads for the Hornady bullets in 9mm and 38 special.

100g Hornady FTX in 9mm
110g Hornady FTX in 38 special

I made a trip to Cabelas in E.Hartford last weekend and they were wiped out of just about everything. The ammo shelves were pretty bare and there were two bottles of powder in the store. No pistol primers either.

The person I was talking to said that they can’t even put any 556 on the shelf. Customers would take it off the stocking cart or out of their hands before it hit the shelf. Crazy times.

Thanks,

Bob
i dont have experience with bullets that light but Hodgdon Clays is my go to powder for light target loads in 38spl and 9mm, along with 45acp

Third vote for CFE Pistol. But if you're stuck on one of those, go with Unique. Its dirty but very versatile. You can use it with almost any pistol round and a lot of rifle rounds too.

I've been reloading the 100g HST in 9x19mm as well as some 90g JHP and FMJ . These have also been used in .38 Special reloads. My Ruger GP100 handles them well, although they are slightly under size (recovered bullets mic at .353", so I think they are just fine). Recent powders have been MP 75 and MP 35.
In your case, I'd think any listed powder that you can find in stock would be ideal.
You should call ahead to verify inventory b4 driving down to Cabela's or Runnings (Putnam, CT).
If you want to go lighter, try the Inceptor 65g ARX or RNP bullets.
Cheers.

You can try calling KTP. I bought W231 in February.
If not, call Cableas or maybe even Bass Pro.

If ther doesnt work, go online (no, I wont post where), and create alerts. Order it as soon as you get an Email saying it is in stock.

There's a lot closer places than Kittery if he's coming from western MA. Glenn's in North Reading was still well stocked when I was there recently. Al's in Derry is probably well stocked too, he always seems to be. Shooters Outpost is another. Also check Cabela's in Berlin MA.

And for primers, Shooters Outpost in NH posted a few hours ago that they had CCI 500 primers in stock. I asked what the limits were per person. Haven't responded yet.

Went to cabelas the other day to get some percussion caps. I had no problem probably because nobody is going nuts over black powder stuff. Everything else was pretty much gone. Of the 3 powders you listed I've used 231 and Unique and got good results with both. Have you considered getting what you want online?

Went to cabelas the other day to get some percussion caps. I had no problem probably because nobody is going nuts over black powder stuff. Everything else was pretty much gone. Of the 3 powders you listed I've used 231 and Unique and got good results with both. Have you considered getting what you want online?

I haven’t considered going online as I figured that the hazmat charges for a pound of powder to play around with would make it crazy expensive.

I was surprised how bare the shelves were last weekend.

Bob

How far is Sturbridge from you? Maybe @Mudflap621 will sell you his 4 pounds of Bullseye powder?....
That would be a perfect powder for the calibers you want to reload. And $85 is a great price for a 4lb jug.

I haven’t considered going online as I figured that the hazmat charges for a pound of powder to play around with would make it crazy expensive.

I was surprised how bare the shelves were last weekend.

Bob
Get at least 3lbs. Hazmat is only $11. Divided into at least 3lbs, it is not a big deal.

Black powder stuff and large rifle usually dont suffer, people dont shoot that enough. Almost every place online has large rifle primers in stock.

I never had an issue getting CCI caps and musket caps.

The CCI primers (200, 300, 400 and 500) run $29 for 1000 ($3.99 per 100), but availability is the issue.
I wouldn't drive there unless I call to verify availability and have them set them aside for me for the time it takes me to get there.
Runnings powder and bullet supply is also limited/marginal, at best.

Talking with the clerk last visit, he says theft is a problem at the store. The primers (not sure about powders) are now under lock and key, so it will be like finding the ammo key man at Walmart. Ammunition is in a locked display case, too.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a brick of spp, don't care who made them. I bought the only box of berrys 9mm in berlin the other day. I have plenty of powder, just need to find some primers.

I'd love to find a nice sponsor, but old, slow, and hurty doesn't cut it, ha ha.
I have a brick if you need it, CCI

Bob

I'm pretty sure one hazmat charge covers either up to 40 lbs of powder or 40 lbs total order weight. Maybe its 50. . Put powder and primers in the same order, and away we go.

Back
Top Bottom