• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol permit woth drug arrest but no conviction?

ok, thanks. i'm going to try to find a lawyer around here that can help me. oh yeah, you called me namental. was that a joke because of the anti depressants or did you just misspell is? lol

Your use of anti-depressants should not even be an issue, the question will not even come up on your application. There are lots of people on anti-depressants including police officers, fire fighters, doctors and nurses. The officer taking your application may very well be receiving mental health treatment. It's part of the human condition, nothing to be embarrassed about.

As long as you have no commitments for suicidal or homicidal ideation, or loss of touch with reality, than feeling the blues and getting help is no big thing.

Your voluntary stay in a substance abuse treatment facility should be referred to an attorney, to determine if your name has been added to a database that may be available to authorities and how it applies to any question regarding past or present abuse of alcohol or drugs.

I don't know about child support, again - you need to talk to an attorney.

Lastly, if you were arrested and fingerprinted, you should assume absolutely that this will come up and you may be questioned on it, even if the charges were dismissed. An attorney will help you report the incidence and explain it in a way that doesn't damn you.

You really need to find a lawyer to work your way through this successfully. Good luck.

A little encouragement would be nice. One of my friends back in the street of NJ was someone I arrested twice in his earlier years. He got his act together, stopped drinking and we hit it off in later years. Unfortunately he was killed in a firearms incident a few years ago. Anyone can change. For the better or worse but no one really stays the same for their entire life.

thanks for the encouragement. funny thing happened today. i got pulled over on my way to work and the state cop saw my arrests from a couple years ago and pulled me out of the car and searched my car and my person. well obviously he didn't find anything but i asked him if he saw my drug arrests and he said yes. i then asked him if would be able to get my pistol permit since they weren't convictions. he told me that as long as they were convictions they shouldn't matter. i was also told by someone today that if i get denied i can file an appeal and there is some kind of board that will go to bat for you if you have been wrongly denied. anyone know if this is true?

thanks for the encouragement. funny thing happened today. i got pulled over on my way to work and the state cop saw my arrests from a couple years ago and pulled me out of the car and searched my car and my person. well obviously he didn't find anything but i asked him if he saw my drug arrests and he said yes. i then asked him if would be able to get my pistol permit since they weren't convictions. he told me that as long as they were convictions they shouldn't matter. i was also told by someone today that if i get denied i can file an appeal and there is some kind of board that will go to bat for you if you have been wrongly denied. anyone know if this is true?

Perhaps if you ask the same questions, but word it differently a few more times you will get the answer you seek.

A cop pulls you out of the car and searches you based on prior drug arrests, but no convictions mind you, then proceeds to tell you there should be no problem getting a LTC??? Well I guess you have the answer you wanted straight from the mouth of the law. [rolleyes]

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

NAmenta: Police officers are not a reliable source for legal advise. They generally mean well, but they don't know the details of the law. Nor is an anonymous poster on an internet forum a reliable source for legal advice.

Go find a lawyer familiar with this area of the law. You need one.

listen, i'm just telling you what he said. he told me to check with dept of public safety to be sure but as long as its not a conviction it shouldn't matter. whats funny about that?

funny thing happened today. i got pulled over on my way to work and the state cop saw my arrests from a couple years ago and pulled me out of the car and searched my car and my person.

This conversation is just so sad. Next thing I expect you'll tell us its a good thing you didn't tell him where you buried the body.

So, uh, WHY did Officer Free-Legal-Advice pull you over? And search your car and your person? Was it a hunch? Or were you doing something .... irresponsible .... again?

no, what it was was he saw that i had those arrests from a couple years ago, asked me if i had anything in the car and if he could take a look. i got nothing to hide so i told him sure. the reason he pulled me over in the first place was for not wearing my seatbelt. so, i guess i was doing something irresponsible if you count not wearing my seatbelt. but this whole situation is just proof that once you screw up it takes a while for people to not judge you by it....hey how come all of you seem to be from mass but in the ct gun laws forum answering my dumb questions?

Last edited:
no, what it was was he saw that i had those arrests from a couple years ago, asked me if i had anything in the car and if he could take a look. i got nothing to hide so i told him sure. the reason he pulled me over in the first place was for not wearing my seatbelt. so, i guess i was doing something irresponsible if you count not wearing my seatbelt. but this whole situation is just proof that once you screw up it takes a while for people to not judge you by it....hey how come all of you seem to be from mass but in the ct gun laws forum answering my dumb questions?

Huh. I've never been pulled over for a no-seat-belt. Is that a Connecticut thing?

And there are no dumb questions. I think ....

the reason he pulled me over in the first place was for not wearing my seatbelt. so, i guess i was doing something irresponsible if you count not wearing my seatbelt.

Yes, I do count it as being irresponsible. First, you are required by law to wear your seatbelt. You know that. But still you willfully flout the law. Perhaps not surprising, given your legal history.

Secondly, my father was an emergency room doc for about 15 years. The first six months after he started, he did an informal survey. Every time he treated a car accident victim he asked them two questions:

1) were they wearing their seatbelts?
2) how was their headrest adjusted?

After six months, he decided it was pointless. Because as soon as he saw them he knew immediately if they were wearing their seatbelts and if their headrest was adjusted. If their face was fricking mess, then they weren't wearing their seatbelt. If they were complaining of neck and back pain, they didn't have their headrest adjusted.

Not wearing seatbelts is stupid, plain and simple. It is also irresponsible.

You claim to have gotten your life together. Then why aren't you acting that way?

Cop didn't have cause for a search, that's why he asked permission. NAmenta then gave permission. Not what I would have done, but that's his choice.

you guys can call me nick by the way. and M1911, just because i wasn't wearing my seatbelt doesn't mean i didn't get my shit together. its a bad habit and to be honest with you sometimes it just slips my mind. and i gave the cop permission because i felt that if i didn't he would have thought i had something to hide. i've seen it happen to people before. its pretty much a lose lose situation so i just try to be as cooperative as i can. and yeah, its a connecticut thing. they pull people over here a lot for not wearing their seatbelts.

its a bad habit and to be honest with you sometimes it just slips my mind.

Why get in trouble over something as simple as wearing your seatbelt? You've been in trouble before, so why aren't you doing everything you can to stay out of trouble?

When you sit down in a car, put on your seatbelt. The car doesn't move until everyone has their belts on.

Do the laws apply to you or not? They way you are behaving, it appears that you have little regard for them.

Get your gun law from Troopers at your peril. Just because he wears a badge does not mean he has detailed knowledge of gun licensing law.

Your money, and time, would be well-spent be consulting with a CT firearms lawyer. Much more fruitful than trying to convince the NES regulars here that you are a good guy and should be allowed a gun license.

Last edited:
First of all to give the guy a break, I have been pulled over by the police in CT for "not wearing my seatbelt". Only to the surprise of the officer, I was. Quite obviously as well, since I was driving an open top jeep with no doors. The Police in CT use it as a BS reason, to nab you on something else.

I my case he used it as a reason to pull me over so he could tell me my jeep was lifted too high (it wasn't) and the tires stuck out too far (they didn't). All of which I demonstrated with a tape measure and a copy of the statutes in question.

NAmenta1981, I'm not going to pull any punches so I apologize in advance if you think I am being unnecessarily harsh with you. But from your posted history it sounds like you are 4 clicks around the wrist short of a becoming a felon.

Its likely not wise to pursue a permit issue at this time because its sounds like with all the hurdles you've encountered its going to be a huge waste of time and expense. I think that that troopers reaction to you the other day is probably a pretty accurate answer to the question you have been asking.

By no means am I saying that you should give up the pursuit of it nor your love of shooting sports, but you are on the track now to recovering from your past and setting the record(s) straight. It would be wise of you to let some time pass so that the reviewing officer can attest through not seeing you in the system or seeing your volunteer work or what have you, so that he doesn't give you the same reaction as the trooper who reviewed your record the other day did.

I'm not even sure if the initial denial would leave a black mark on your future applications either. So it may be worth it to consider having a lawyer give you the once over but I really think its going to take a bit of time on your end.

I did stupid stuff also as a kid and it caught up with me on my permit applications....in fact it comes up every time I have to renew but my past is far enough behind me with a lot of good deeds in between that its not as big of an issue as it need be. I still have to write a qualifying letter though on renewal. So I've kind of been there.

Good luck to you, and yeah I wish I had also listened to my mother.

well, thank you for that advice. i really appreciate your honesty and they way you put that. and i've kinda come to the conclusion that i'm going to wait a bit regardless because i am looking into moving out of where i am and getting a place of my own in the next few months so with that and all my other bills it really won't leave much money for guns or permits. i still would however like to talk to a lawyer and get some advice though. but this is not something i am going to just give up on all together. my father told me a couple years ago when i my act together that he hadn't trusted me for 4 years and its going to take him another 4 years if i do the right thing before he will again. i guess the same thing probably applies here. i do have one question though. it sounds like you were denied at first? if this is true, do you have to take the class over again to re apply? how long is the class good for?

My first application in the town I lived in; we lived in a rental property and the town was as the current grading goes kind of red. I had to write a letter to the issuing officer -who would drive by my house at odd hours just to be sure that I really lived there, who would also hang up on me on the phone all the time, who would sit on my fingerprint card telling me to come back in a few weeks to get reprinted...you name it, he requested it and I did it. Finally when I had jumped through all of his hoops I had to do a second letter to the Chief.

Both of those letters were just clarifications and explanations of what was on my record. What I think also helped me, without going into to much detail, was that I still my lawyer on retainer at the time so I dropped his name in the last letter as well. But initially my impression was that they didnt even want to take my application.

Later when I moved and lost my old paperish license I learned upon renewing that old CWF records really are records despite what the lawyers tell you. It still pops up and will always pop up as in Mass we have no expungement of records so things tend to stick. My error there was not disclosing, which everyone here will tell you is a big mistake..but again I explained what had been explained to me and was allowed to submit a letter of clarification along with my application. I'm not so sure about that encounter as technically it was a denial but the issuing officer may have just flagged it and that was the call I received.

My most recent and last renewal same process, but I told the issuing officer immediately and he was ok with it. He did suggest that I (once again) drop a quick letter to the Chief in case the chief felt uncomfortable, which I did and my renewal permit arrived 3 weeks later.

So thats a bit more to my story, in between all that I grew up got married...yada..yada..

As far as the class goes I am not so sure how long it lasts but I've only taken it twice, the first time for my first permit and the last time a few years ago just for a refresher. I think most applications do inquire about what course(s) you have taken.

wow, sounds like he had it in for you. the one thing that i would have going for me as of right now is that the chief of police in the town where i currently live is a friend of the family. plus my grandmother used to be the first selectman so he pretty much worked for her. but even if i was approved on the town level that wouldn't help me on the state level. so basically i'm just going to wait for now, try to get some legal advice and go from there. maybe find out some things i can do that would look good for me when it comes for me to apply, along with just keeping my nose clean from now until then obviously.

Back
Top Bottom