Pistol Mounted Optics

Kisspik002

NES Member
Ok All. It’s been a long time since I posted to the LE thread. Here we go!!!

Is your department running pistol mounted optics? Optional or mandatory? Handguns and optic brand being used? Are people liking them or not.

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!

My PD is 100% Pistol Mounted Optics, I believe we are the first large PD in Mass to do so.
Glocks with Trijicon RMRs
Teaching old dogs new tricks is not easy.
Some were not happy about the change and had difficulty.
The vast majority are shooting better after the transition, some are shooting the same, nobody is shooting worse.

My PD has not switched to optics and I do not believe they plan on doing so anytime soon. I have heard some rumors that Salem PD may be switching. I think they run P320's but I'm not sure.

I have played a little bit with adding optics on my personally owned handguns. Every time I have added the optic, I have removed it and sold it off. My issue is with an astigmatism in my dominate eye. It's usable... But I have always preferred iron sights with a blacked out rear sight. Not sure how those with astigmatisms may do with adding an optic to their duty gun. But... there is probably more solutions to that than I may be aware of.

My PD has not switched to optics and I do not believe they plan on doing so anytime soon. I have heard some rumors that Salem PD may be switching. I think they run P320's but I'm not sure.

I have played a little bit with adding optics on my personally owned handguns. Every time I have added the optic, I have removed it and sold it off. My issue is with an astigmatism in my dominate eye. It's usable... But I have always preferred iron sights with a blacked out rear sight. Not sure how those with astigmatisms may do with adding an optic to their duty gun. But... there is probably more solutions to that than I may be aware of.
What do you see when you are looking through the glass?

My PD is 100% Pistol Mounted Optics, I believe we are the first large PD in Mass to do so.
The vast majority are shooting better after the transition, some are shooting the same, nobody is shooting worse.
What backup irons are they using? Thanks!

Ok, so I'm not PD, but I'm nosy. This is basically my experience as well with red dots and astigmatism. I've found if you turn the dot down to the lowest rightness setting that it is still useful (eg. you can pick it up in good light), you can use it will less starburst. Otherwise, it is a mess giving me like a 10+MOA starburst.

On a side note: I think I'm actually going to get tested (eyes, that is) for ballistic corrective lenses. They exist, but aren't cheap. Plus, I'm not into the notion of Lasic.......yet.

The best dot I've tried with astigmatism is the Dual Illumination RMR - not a popular choice, but no starburst for me. Best I've seen from the electric dots is a Holosun 512C which did have a little starburst effect - but too big for a pistol, really.

My town PD ordered some new M&Ps with the slides already cut for dots - I haven't run into them recently to see if they've added optics yet. After the state crushed the part timers, they're down to two officers so switching over won't eat too much budget.

Ok, so I'm not PD, but I'm nosy. This is basically my experience as well with red dots and astigmatism. I've found if you turn the dot down to the lowest rightness setting that it is still useful (eg. you can pick it up in good light), you can use it will less starburst. Otherwise, it is a mess giving me like a 10+MOA starburst.

On a side note: I think I'm actually going to get tested (eyes, that is) for ballistic corrective lenses. They exist, but aren't cheap. Plus, I'm not into the notion of Lasic.......yet.
I found that a lower MOA dot size worked better... Low-mid brightness helped lower the starburst effect. The one thing I liked was the circle only reticle on Holosun optics... That seemed to work well for me. The last optic I purchased was a 509T but I did not realize the circle reticle was not available on that model.

I have considered getting corrective glasses but have not done so yet. I'm right handed and left eye dominant... The only time I regularly use an optic is on the rifle but I have to aim with my non dominant eye... which does not have an astigmatism. Which is great but that fatigues quickly... The more I shoot the better it gets.

A buddy I work with had Lasic and it seemed to help alot with his shooting. Me on the other hand... I cannot even hear him talk about the Lasic nevermind bring myself to get it done!

I found that a lower MOA dot size worked better... Low-mid brightness helped lower the starburst effect. The one thing I liked was the circle only reticle on Holosun optics... That seemed to work well for me. The last optic I purchased was a 509T but I did not realize the circle reticle was not available on that model.

I have considered getting corrective glasses but have not done so yet. I'm right handed and left eye dominant... The only time I regularly use an optic is on the rifle but I have to aim with my non dominant eye... which does not have an astigmatism. Which is great but that fatigues quickly... The more I shoot the better it gets.

A buddy I work with had Lasic and it seemed to help alot with his shooting. Me on the other hand... I cannot even hear him talk about the Lasic nevermind bring myself to get it done!

Agreed on all accounts. I've checked out 6MOA dots, and I like the acquisition speed, but they're a blob of a mess with my particularly astigmatism. Have to go 3 or under. 2 is ideal for my condition. I'm also right handed and left eye dominant. It's a curse for shooting long guns, but I deal with it best I can.

Just curious how are these optics turned on in a defensive situation? I use a Burris reflex sight for Bullseye competition where there is plenty of time to turn it on.

Well, sights like the trijicon dual- Illumination don't use electricity, the rest use some combination of 50k hour battery life, shake awake sensors and solar cells to never have to be turned off.

Just curious how are these optics turned on in a defensive situation? I use a Burris reflex sight for Bullseye competition where there is plenty of time to turn it on.
Trijicon RMR never turns off and has a battery life of 2 years. We change them at the range once a year.

Awesome. Have your instructors attended the MPTC Red Dot Class?

holosun with the gold/amber colored reticle works best with astigmatism, green is next best. Red is the worst color if you have astigmatism.

Awesome. Have your instructors attended the MPTC Red Dot Class?
We have all been through the Trijicon Red Dot Course.
Some of us have been through the Sig PMO Course.
A couple of us have been through the MPTC PMO Course, which is basically the same as the Sig course.
I was fortunate enough to have gone to all 3 Courses.

We have all been through the Trijicon Red Dot Course.
Some of us have been through the Sig PMO Course.
A couple of us have been through the MPTC PMO Course, which is basically the same as the Sig course.
I was fortunate enough to have gone to all 3 Courses.
Awesome. Well if you did the MPTC course I was there teaching it. Haha. Hope you enjoyed it

Ok All. It’s been a long time since I posted to the LE thread. Here we go!!!

Is your department running pistol mounted optics? Optional or mandatory? Handguns and optic brand being used? Are people liking them or not.

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!
According to my LE family and friends it’s going to be manditory soon enough. Me personally…it’s the Bain of my existence😂😂
I hate red dots on pistols! Hell, a pistol’s only purpose is to fight your way back to your rifle.

If I am posting on the wrong thread it is because I am drinking🫡

Back
Top Bottom