• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol Mounted Optics

Just putting this out there for anyone who has an astigmatism, but I just replaced my horrible Sig Romeo 0 with a Holosun 507k. Despite the 507k having a ring-dot, it is much more clear to my eyes than any other dot I have. So far, a big plus going for Holosun.

Oh, and the Sig Romeo 0--biggest piece of garbage. It came with my slide, so I wasn't initially complaining, but after only 2 range trips, the first of which I didn't even fire much due to other mechanical issues, it failed. I thought the battery died, but the dot was just so far out of view that I practically had to angle the gun down 45* just to see it. We're talking about failure within the first 50 shots.

When I was taking it off, I stripped a screw. So I just cut it off with a dremel (plastic body) and took plyers to the stripped screw. F Sig for making that junk.

Just putting this out there for anyone who has an astigmatism, but I just replaced my horrible Sig Romeo 0 with a Holosun 507k. Despite the 507k having a ring-dot, it is much more clear to my eyes than any other dot I have. So far, a big plus going for Holosun.

Oh, and the Sig Romeo 0--biggest piece of garbage. It came with my slide, so I wasn't initially complaining, but after only 2 range trips, the first of which I didn't even fire much due to other mechanical issues, it failed. I thought the battery died, but the dot was just so far out of view that I practically had to angle the gun down 45* just to see it. We're talking about failure within the first 50 shots.

When I was taking it off, I stripped a screw. So I just cut it off with a dremel (plastic body) and took plyers to the stripped screw. F Sig for making that junk.

Yep.

I have a Romeo Zero Elite. The polymer body, I’m fine with. It’s light and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen or heard of an issue with modern polymers not holding up.

The adjustments for the optic are absolutely horrible. But once you get it set to your liking, no big deal. It has a 20,000 hour battery life after all. Not a deal breaker.

Having to remove the optic to change the battery, a pain. Having to rezero for a battery change kind of a pain too. But again, it’s got a 20,000 hour battery life, that’s over 2 years!

Did I mention the battery life? 20,000 hours advertised. That’s a straight up lie of epic proportions. I get it, companies make claims like this with caveats of it being in a low power setting where an actually usable setting gets you only half that or something. If this were the case, also probably not a deal breaker. But in reality, the optic, in the sleep mode, gets about 3.5% of the claimed battery life. SLEEP MODE, where the optic is off and not being used! In a usable setting, .5% of the claimed battery life. That makes this total POS completely worthless. An absolute scam. Fraud. Deceptive.

I can’t believe they are still selling this thing.

It’s been replaced with a holosun 507k in green. Not sure if I’m sold on the green yet but we’ll see.

Salem Ma PD Issue Sig P-320 with red dot, Braintree and Quincy issue pistols with red dots as well, Ma state police are making the switch, first recruit classes out on the streets with red dots. Milton Ma is going red dot. I have taken the MPTC Red Dot instructor class and Sigs red dot instructor class. IN May Im going to be Taking Glocks 3 day red dot classs MOs operator. Red dots are here to stay.

Boston’s MOP unit and a few other special units received 320’s with Romeo’s. I heard patrol will be going to 320’s but without red dots. That’s up in the air.

Salem Ma PD Issue Sig P-320 with red dot, Braintree and Quincy issue pistols with red dots as well, Ma state police are making the switch, first recruit classes out on the streets with red dots. Milton Ma is going red dot. I have taken the MPTC Red Dot instructor class and Sigs red dot instructor class. IN May Im going to be Taking Glocks 3 day red dot classs MOs operator. Red dots are here to stay.
Ya Salem guys are awesome. My buddy is on Milton. He already made the switch to PDP with 509s.

You will enjoy Glocks class. It’s a good one.

100% dots are here to stay.

Which MPTC red dot class did you attend?

Boston’s MOP unit and a few other special units received 320’s with Romeo’s. I heard patrol will be going to 320’s but without red dots. That’s up in the air.
I heard the same. Possible Glocks or Walther as of recent but I’m sure SIG will scoop in with a deal to good to pass on.

Do you know which red dots they are using?

Just curious how are these optics turned on in a defensive situation? I use a Burris reflex sight for Bullseye competition where there is plenty of time to turn it on.
They are on all the time. Battery lasts multiple years.

ETA: replace the battery once per year and you are good to go.

Last edited:
As others have stated about Boston. Special Operations SWAT,K9,Hazmat,Harbor Unit and Commercial Truck team are all given opportunity to get the Sig 320 with red dot.

I’ve heard mixed things about Patrol…some saying Glock 19s with dots so they don’t have to retrain for the gun and only the RDS. Some say straight Glock 19 only and some are saying the Sigs with dots.

Should be noted SWAT has had different guns then patrol for as long as I can remember. Prior they had Sig 1911’s . If I had to bet it’s going to be Glock 19s with red dots. Seems like 9mm is definitely coming and will be dropping .40

As others have stated about Boston. Special Operations SWAT,K9,Hazmat,Harbor Unit and Commercial Truck team are all given opportunity to get the Sig 320 with red dot.

I’ve heard mixed things about Patrol…some saying Glock 19s with dots so they don’t have to retrain for the gun and only the RDS. Some say straight Glock 19 only and some are saying the Sigs with dots.

Should be noted SWAT has had different guns then patrol for as long as I can remember. Prior they had Sig 1911’s . If I had to bet it’s going to be Glock 19s with red dots. Seems like 9mm is definitely coming and will be dropping .40
Shame it was nice having stations buying up 40 and not 9mm

Word is Boston signed off on 9mm and red dots within the last couple weeks . Off to see who the lowest bidder is between Sig and Glock 😂

Edit: Along with Tasers for us lowly patrolman

Back
Top Bottom