• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol Ideas for Wife

I definitely appreciate all the advice from everyone, first we are going to try her dad's 9mm and .380 before we go spend a bunch of money on rentals and see if we can get an idea on what she can handle. I am also going to borrow a very small .22lr from my dad which should have more recoil then a mark II or III but still less then a 9mm. I'm hoping if she practices with that it will get her more used to the recoil so she can handle a larger gun. Then we will go to MFL when we have a fairly good idea of what she can handle and what's in our price range and have her shoot a few different styles.

Thank you all.

Oh, and she also said she thinks a Ladies NES shoot would be a great idea, I'm going to start an interest thread in the members section. Excellent idea danboSMASH!

My wife (5'3 105-110 lbs) carries a S&W 432PD (J-frame in .32 H&R Magnum) in a crossbreed mini tuck. It completely disappears on her, even under a tight shirt. For her it's the perfect carry gun. Small, light, reliable, simple and plenty powerful enough. We have a rather large collection but regardless of season or attire, she always chooses her 432PD and me, my M&P340CT. IMHO you can't beat the J-frames for EDC, you just have to play around to find a caliber and round that is easy for you to shoot accurately and reliably.

I love when people say "J-frames are terrible. They beat the crap out of your hand". It's almost like they completely forget that they're offered in many calibers. I realize it's a "to each his own" situation but I feel alive when I run some full house 357's through my J-frame!

The Sig P238 is a great size for a small framed woman, but is she's comfortable with something a little bigger the Sig 239 in 9mm might be an option.

female carry

Two come to mind
351 pd by s&w 22 mag 7 shot snubby very little recoil lots of noise and high 22 mags are
are nasty gun weighs 11 oz empty
Semi auto
Kahr pm 9 7 shot 9mm very reliable 7shor double only great trigger pull long steady and soft moderate recoil but needs a firm grip

Someone, in another thread (sorry, I can't recall who, to give credit, where credit is due), suggested a S&W 432, J-frame, .32 H&R Magnum. The more I thought about about it, the more I realised this may be the perfect "carry gun" for many of those of the feminine persuasion.

OOPS...was it this thread?

Bill

Two come to mind
351 pd by s&w 22 mag 7 shot snubby very little recoil lots of noise and high 22 mags are
are nasty gun weighs 11 oz empty
Semi auto
Kahr pm 9 7 shot 9mm very reliable 7shor double only great trigger pull long steady and soft moderate recoil but needs a firm grip

[wink] I guess it all depends on the individual. Been training my wife for the last couple of years. Started with my very old Model 19 that was factory cut down to 3 1/4". Used only .38. No go. Too strong.

Bought her a 617. No good. She didn't like the feel and couldn't hit crap with it. Not the piece....as I showed her multiple times. Put all to rest for a period of time. One day while at the range, I was working with a couple of my 625's and my wife was using my Nylon 66....which she loves....and is damn good with it.

For chucks, I asked her if she wanted to try the .45 LC. To my surprise she said, "Yes."
She tried both the Mountain Gun and my 625 6" using 225-250 gr. loads....and loved it. I was dumbfounded. .38 was too strong.....22 was crap....but .45 LC is just right. Go figure.

Grin, I have now lost both pieces. The Mountain Gun is her bedside piece and the 6" is her weekly practice piece...and she is GOOD with both. Makes me proud of her and I know she can handle (and like) a "stopper".

I personally have always liked .45LC but will not go out and buy another for myself. Will just stick with my Uberti 1873 for that caliber and just hang in with ACP for my own handguns....be it pistol or revolver.

[smile] Have to say it again, I just cannot believe how she took to the .45 LC.

I was dumbfounded. .38 was too strong.....22 was crap....but .45 LC is just right. Go figure. I just cannot believe how she took to the .45 LC.

Funny how that works. People usually just talk about "more recoil" or "less recoil", but the way the gun moves due to said recoil drastically affects how you can perform with it.

When I was first testing the waters with basic pistol calibers, I started with 9mm and then .45 ACP. When I got ready to try .40 S&W, I assumed it would be a middle ground between the two previous calibers. Once I emptied a magazine and barely hit paper, I realized that recoil was not so simple to predict.

Can't really explain it....and neither can my wife. The .38 was too strong (to her), the .22 sucked, yet the .45LC was just right. Grin, I think I'm entering a Fairy Tale of Goldilocks. Have no answers, can't even surmise....it is what it is.

Can't really explain it....and neither can my wife. The .38 was too strong (to her), the .22 sucked, yet the .45LC was just right. Grin, I think I'm entering a Fairy Tale of Goldilocks. Have no answers, can't even surmise....it is what it is.

Most important thing is that she likes shooting it (so she'll practice) and that she can shoot it well. A .45LC certainly has enough power to get the job done, that's for sure.

A .380 might be just the ticket. Even I find the report of a 9mm to be offensive. More so than my .40 or .45

I picked up a new Walther for my lady (Pk380) and put a sub-compact laser on it for her.

Most important thing is that she likes shooting it (so she'll practice) and that she can shoot it well. A .45LC certainly has enough power to get the job done, that's for sure.

She does love it, does practice with it, and is getting better and better. This makes losing the 2 pieces worthwhile. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom