Pistol Ideas for Wife

My wife is interested in getting her own pistol to carry for self defense. She has tried my .357/.38 spl single action loaded with .38 spl and didn't really care for it, she tried my .45 1911 and it had too much recoil and it's too large.

She wants something easily concealable compact/subcompact, with moderate recoil in a semi-auto.

I haven't had much experience with pistols, I carry my 1911 and love it but have no idea what she should get, we're in the $500ish price range in NH. Can people give me some ideas on reliable easy to handle/shoot firearms and good calibers to look for?

Bring her to an NES shoot and let her try a bunch of stuff. We'd only be guessing.

She gets nervous shooting in front of other people especially on firearms she's not familiar with so I don't think that would work. Tomorrow we are going to MFL to handle a few guns and possibly do a rental if she finds one she likes I just honestly have no idea what's out there that might be good as I have limited knowledge of what companies offer what style guns and what kind of quality they offer.

try a compact or subcompact in 9mm.(KharPM9, Glock 26?-I never remember the glock numbers)

What didn't she like about the 38 spl (was it a SAA or Vacquero)? A model 66 or steel J frame might be a good carry gun for her.
I imagine the featherweights are going to have too much recoil, so you will have to balance weight/recoil. 38 spl or 9mm are probably going to be the best rounds - although there is the new Fed 327 round supposed to have 357 ballistics with a lot less recoil.

My wife is interested in getting her own pistol to carry for self defense. She has tried my .357/.38 spl single action loaded with .38 spl and didn't really care for it, she tried my .45 1911 and it had too much recoil and it's too large.

She wants something easily concealable compact/subcompact, with moderate recoil in a semi-auto.

I haven't had much experience with pistols, I carry my 1911 and love it but have no idea what she should get, we're in the $500ish price range in NH. Can people give me some ideas on reliable easy to handle/shoot firearms and good calibers to look for?

What didn't she like about the .38?

You might be able to find a nice officer sized 1911 in 9mm, that would fit the concealable and moderate recoil bill. The Walther P380 fits that, as well. I see you live in NH (I assume), so you have all kinds of options.

I agree with dwarven1 - she should try a lot of different things to see what she likes and doesn't like. You might try hitting up Manchester Firing Line and trying their guns, as well.

try a compact or subcompact in 9mm.(KharPM9, Glock 26?-I never remember the glock numbers)

What didn't she like about the 38 spl (was it a SAA or Vacquero)? A model 66 or steel J frame might be a good carry gun for her.
I imagine the featherweights are going to have too much recoil, so you will have to balance weight/recoil. 38 spl or 9mm are probably going to be the best rounds - although there is the new Fed 327 round supposed to have 357 ballistics with a lot less recoil.

The .38 spl is an older single action, i think 6" barrel she didn't like how front heavy it was and having to keep her hands behind the cylinder it bothered her wrists. I was thinking something in 9mm. How is 357 sig compared to 9mm? What are some good compacts in 9mm that we should take a look at and what would be good to stay away from?

I would say get over to Sig and try out there rent a gun program. Or if you have a shooting range around you that rents out guns to try. It's around $ 30 to $50 and is most times range, gun, ammo, targets and you can stay on the lane as long as you want.

Try a medium 380 for her she should like that, or have her try a medium frame 38 revolver that has some more weight to it to tame the recoil. Have her try one of the compact 9mm also.

Have her check this out: sigsaueracademy.com/Course

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Compact Glocks in 9mm, M&P9c, Karh P380 & PM9, Walther PK380. The list is endless and you won't know whether or not she prefers a striker semi, DA/SA semi, or revolver until she tries them.

Nobody can know but her. If recoil is a problem, she should try the Sig P232 with Hogue grips. That combination is probably the softest shooting semi-auto around that is as concealable as it is.

Yes, take her to MFL and let her try out some various guns.

If you let me know when you're going via a PM, I might be able to meet you there and offer some additional pieces to try.

If the front-heavy / balance of the Single Action Army with a 6" barrel was a problem, I'd recommend trying an Airweight Revolver. I have a S&W 642 that's pretty nice and at 15oz it's very lightly. It does recoil somewhat due to its low mass.

For thin packaged semi-autos, Sig Single Stacks are nice, though I don't like their selection of Red on Black for site dots (not sure if they've fixed that) and I don't like the ones that have the mag release in the butt of the grip because they're a pain to reload.

MFL doesn't rent Kel-Tecs that I know of, but I rather like the P3AT and P11 for discrete carry. they're thinner and lighter than comparable weapons from other manufacturers in .380 Auto and 9mm respectively. They have steel slides and barrels but polymer frames. While the P3AT's .380 Auto (9mm short) round is generally considered marginal for Self-Defense, it fits well in small hands and is extremely easy to conceal.

Ultimately, only she's going to be able to figure out what she's comforable carrying and shooting.

Yes, take her to MFL and let her try out some various guns.

If you let me know when you're going via a PM, I might be able to meet you there and offer some additional pieces to try.

If the front-heavy / balance of the Single Action Army with a 6" barrel was a problem, I'd recommend trying an Airweight Revolver. I have a S&W 642 that's pretty nice and at 15oz it's very lightly. It does recoil somewhat due to its low mass.

For thin packaged semi-autos, Sig Single Stacks are nice, though I don't like their selection of Red on Black for site dots (not sure if they've fixed that) and I don't like the ones that have the mag release in the butt of the grip because they're a pain to reload.

MFL doesn't rent Kel-Tecs that I know of, but I rather like the P3AT and P11 for discrete carry. they're thinner and lighter than comparable weapons from other manufacturers in .380 Auto and 9mm respectively. They have steel slides and barrels but polymer frames. While the P3AT's .380 Auto (9mm short) round is generally considered marginal for Self-Defense, it fits well in small hands and is extremely easy to conceal.

Ultimately, only she's going to be able to figure out what she's comforable carrying and shooting.

I don't know if an airweight is a good choice...especially if recoil is a consideration.

I've fired a colt mustang, which is similar to the p238, it wasn't all that rough, at least compared to some other midget guns.

Perhaps a lighter 9mm 1911, the alloy framed S&W for instance, might be good.

Let her try an M&P9c (compact 9mm semi-auto).

If she's anything like the women in my life, she will fall in love with the fit and feel as well as the minimal recoil.

And they love the looks...

MP-1009.jpg

I would recommend a compact glock.. I sometimes carry a Glock 27 which is .40, and i always carry a KelTec P32, because it slips right in my pocket. A S&W M&P9c was the first gun I ever bought, and it quickly became the first gun i ever sold.. make sure she doesn't buy before she tries anything. If she decides on something, ask the shop what holsters are available, and have her try those too.

Last edited:
I would recommend a compact glock.. I sometimes carry a Glock 27 which is .40, and i always carry a KelTec P32, because it slips right in my pocket. A S&W M&P9c was the first gun I ever bought, and it quickly became the forst gun i ever sold.. make sure she doesn't buy before she tries anything. If she decides on something, ask the shop what holsters are available, and have her try those too.

Excellent advice, thank you, I'm going to have her handle a few at MFL and when she finds something she likes the feel of we'll rent it and give it a try. Good idea about the holsters, doesn't help to have a great gun that's very uncomfortable to carry.

Bring her to an NES shoot and let her try a bunch of stuff. We'd only be guessing.

What he said.[wink] She has to feel comfortable with it, and just going out and buying something she may or may not like is not a good idea.
I have totally different tastes than hubby,and also trying to find something that is comfortable in my hands would be different than my husbands.

Just buy her what you KNOW to be the BEST FOR HER.[smile]

Tell her you decided, and it's settled.[thinking]

See if she doesn't want a BIG GUN right then!!!!![laugh]

Wrt holsters, no shop carries a lot of higher end holsters (which make CCW infinitely more comfortable for anyone). Options that work for women are even fewer and in most cases available only by ordering online. Going to www.corneredcat.com for info on holsters is well worthwhile, even before deciding on what gun she likes.

Beretta Tomcat in .32 acp. it's small so it's easily concealed but it's also got some weight to it so it soaks up what little recoil the .32 has

I've never fired one but the .327 magnum looks like it wouldn't kick much and it also shoots .32S&W,.32S&W long and .32 magnum. Any very small 9mm like the PM9 or the Glock 26 will probably recoil too much for her.

I've never fired one but the .327 magnum looks like it wouldn't kick much and it also shoots .32S&W,.32S&W long and .32 magnum. Any very small 9mm like the PM9 or the Glock 26 will probably recoil too much for her.

Who makes a .327 Magnum? I have never heard of one of these. I would assume being a magnum that it would be a revolver.. Just curious......Thx...

I'm the only shooter in our family or circle of friends, so I get asked this question a lot. I hate to be contrarian, but I'm very hesitant to recommend any auto as a carry or defense gun for any inexperienced shooter. The manual of arms is simply too complex for someone not willing to spend a considerable amount of training and familiarity time. Safeties, hammer drops, loading/unloading, slide manipulation, not to mention malfunctions...Anyone who's been through organized training courses or even an average IDPA match has seen even experienced shooters struggle with the intricacies of an auto.

For a shooter with limited experience, it's very hard (IMO) to beat a S&W J-frame with an enclosed hammer. It is the original "point-and-click" interface. It's manual of arms is rock simple, it is easy to load and unload, easy to carry, and available in a variety of calibers (I like .38SPL) and loads. No hammer to cock or snag in a pocket or purse. It's small size makes it easy to point naturally, and hard for someone to grab and take away. Lot to like there. My primary carry gun is an Officers-size 1911 I have a lot of time behind, and there are still times when I leave that in the safe and drop my S&W 042 in my front jeans pocket. (BTW, a SA revolver with a 6-in barrel isn't a good exemplar of a revolver for her. I'm 6'3"/250, and even I think a 6" revolver feels front heavy.)

If you're stuck on an auto, I strongly recommend a striker-fired, polymer frame gun with no external thumb safety, like a Kahr (PM9 or P9), XD, Glock, or M&P. Stick to "point and shoot" as much as possible.

Last edited:
I'm the only shooter in our family or circle of friends, so I get asked this question a lot. I hate to be contrarian, but I'm very hesitant to recommend any auto as a carry or defense gun for any inexperienced shooter. The manual of arms is simply too complex for someone not willing to spend a considerable amount of training and familiarity time. Safeties, hammer drops, loading/unloading, slide manipulation, not to mention malfunctions...Anyone who's been through organized training courses or even an average IDPA match has seen even experienced shooters struggle with the intricacies of an auto.

For a shooter with limited experience, it's very hard (IMO) to beat a S&W J-frame with an enclosed hammer. It is the original "point-and-click" interface. It's manual of arms is rock simple, it is easy to load and unload, easy to carry, and available in a variety of calibers (I like .38SPL) and loads. No hammer to cock or snag in a pocket or purse. It's small size makes it easy to point naturally, and hard for someone to grab and take away. Lot to like there. My primary carry gun is an Officers-size 1911 I have a lot of time behind, and there are still times when I leave that in the safe and drop my S&W 042 in my front jeans pocket. (BTW, a SA revolver with a 6-in barrel isn't a good exemplar of a revolver for her. I'm 6'3"/250, and even I think a 6" revolver feels front heavy.)

If you're stuck on an auto, I strongly recommend a striker-fired, polymer frame gun with no external thumb safety, like a Kahr (PM9 or P9), XD, Glock, or M&P. Stick to "point and shoot" as much as possible.

This ScottS guys is onto something/stole my thunder[smile]
The good news, is that I don't have to take 10-15 min to type it all out!

She wanted something with a magazine which is why we were looking at auto's. She's going to try holding the Glock 26, Compact XD in 9mm and the M&P to see how they fit her hand, I do like the no additional thumb safety as I think that would help her if she were in a defense situation. I think an Officer 1911 would be good like one of the Para double stack 3" or 3.5" in 9mm models but it's out of our price range at the moment, we're looking in the neighborhood of $500 hopefully.

Thank you for the advice this is what I was looking for some models specifically to look at when we go. If we find the 9mm is too much for her maybe we'll move to a .380 or .327 magnum like others have said but I'd really like to find something that works in 9mm for ammo purposes, I keep hearing of the issues people have finding .380 ammo where 9mm is pretty easy to come across.

Get her out shooting before she purchases anything. You don't pick out her shoes or pants. Blindly trying to pick out a gun & holster for her would be the same thing.

Once she knows what type of gun she's comfortable with, how much maintenance she feels like doing, & how/where she wants to carry it, you'll have a better shot at finding the "right gun" & holster.

Also, there are some women's shooting groups that she might enjoy trying. Some women who are new to guns feel more comfortable being taught & given advice by women. (Second Amendment Sisters & Women On Target would be a good place to start.)

She wanted something with a magazine which is why we were looking at auto's.
Can I ask why she wants something with a magazine?
I think an Officer 1911 would be good like one of the Para double stack 3" or 3.5" in 9mm models...
Again, I hate to be negative, but an Officers Model-sized 1911 would be the last weapon I recommend for a new/inexperienced shooter, especially as a defense/carry gun, and this is from a guy who carries one regularly. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any published article or opinion that recommends it. The manual of arms is just too complex for a beginner as a carry gun. Lightweight trigger, thumb safety, Condition 1, 2, 3 considerations, loading/unloading, lowering the hammer, etc.

I think the best plan is one you've already mentioned: go to MFL and rent guns. MANY guns. And have her shoot them, not just hold them. It may seem expensive at first, but it's cheaper than buying the wrong $500 gun and then looking to resell it later.

I know all the arguments in favor of the J-frame snubbies, as I use one for my daily carry.

My wife won't shoot it. Even with .38spl wad-cutters, she shoots one round through it and hands it back to me. She's only fired 2 rounds through it in 2 years!

I shot a Colt Mustang .380 recently, and I came home and told her about it. It has a light recoil in the all-steel model, and it was lightweight and comfortable... however, I've been reminded of one additional variable:

Make sure that she can rack the slide repeatedly and comfortably! Some of these small carry guns have a LOT of slide spring pressure, and even if the recoil is comfortable, it may still be inappropriate for her. If the shooter can't rack the slide when needed, it's no better than a paperweight.

I know all the arguments in favor of the J-frame snubbies, as I use one for my daily carry.

My wife won't shoot it. Even with .38spl wad-cutters, she shoots one round through it and hands it back to me. She's only fired 2 rounds through it in 2 years!

I shot a Colt Mustang .380 recently, and I came home and told her about it. It has a light recoil in the all-steel model, and it was lightweight and comfortable... however, I've been reminded of one additional variable:

Make sure that she can rack the slide repeatedly and comfortably! Some of these small carry guns have a LOT of slide spring pressure, and even if the recoil is comfortable, it may still be inappropriate for her. If the shooter can't rack the slide when needed, it's no better than a paperweight.

This is Grade-A advice right here, and often overlooked by people looking at small autos. I watched a guy at a local GS recently trying to buy a small auto for his mother (~70 yrs), and she was struggling to rack the slide even once. No one seemed to notice or be concerned by that.

Back
Top Bottom