Pistol found in backpack at daycare

I think everyone’s made their points here.

We all know this oaf was being irresponsible. Where folks differ is in the desired response, ranging from "throw the book at him" to "meh. Ignore the gun." Both those extremes are silly, I think, but I doubt we'll agree on what "should happen." Soon enough, we'll find out what happens in the real world.
Well throwing the book at him was never suggested by the individuals who thought the dad was an idiot and deserved a punishment. It's the dramatic leftish ones who throw that out there for internet dramatic effect to make you sound worse than you are, just for simply disagreeing with them. It's very much a liberal trait these days.
Everyone came out ok, luckily and thankfully. But that doesn't mean he should walk away with no consequence, maybe a fine?
If things took a turn for the worse, then yes. Maybe jail time and an even heftier fine.
Wouldnt involuntary man slaughter be spoken of?

Probably a just punishment for something like this in Free America would be a requirement to attend a gun safety course (not a shooting course), suspension of LTC for say 6 months and a fine.

In MA, per MGL he's guilty of illegal storage (5 yr IIRC and PP forever) unless the gun was locked in some way. If he's otherwise clean he'll likely get CWOF'd as a PP or an 18 month county jail sentence and PP. DYFS shouldn't be involved but they love to confiscate kids and screw them up real good.

That's MA reality.

I agree that he'd never repeat that stupidity if given a chance to live a normal life again (very unlikely).

I once had a student in my Mass Gun Law Seminar that was sent to take the course by either a judge or police chief (don't recall which) because he was handling a gun in a car (IIRC) and accidentally shot his friend in the leg. Assuming no ill intent and that his friend survived with minimal permanent damage, that "sentence" seemed to be proper justice in my mind.

Probably a just punishment for something like this in Free America would be a requirement to attend a gun safety course (not a shooting course), suspension of LTC for say 6 months and a fine.

In MA, per MGL he's guilty of illegal storage (5 yr IIRC and PP forever) unless the gun was locked in some way. If he's otherwise clean he'll likely get CWOF'd as a PP or an 18 month county jail sentence and PP. DYFS shouldn't be involved but they love to confiscate kids and screw them up real good.

That's MA reality.

I agree that he'd never repeat that stupidity if given a chance to live a normal life again (very unlikely).

I once had a student in my Mass Gun Law Seminar that was sent to take the course by either a judge or police chief (don't recall which) because he was handling a gun in a car (IIRC) and accidentally shot his friend in the leg. Assuming no ill intent and that his friend survived with minimal permanent damage, that "sentence" seemed to be proper justice in my mind.

Lol. What is this LTC you speak of?? Outside of MA and in a gun friendly state the daycare puts the gun aside. Because your daycare is usually a family you know and your kid is in their home where the daycare providers guns are also present.

My kids never spent a day in a daycare where the parents running it didn't own and carry firearms.

Totally agree with mass full retard.
But letting him off completely seems lienent. Maybe a fine ? Idk something. I mean he may as well have put it in the kids toy box, I think it was epically close to seriously bad things happening.
Slap on the wrists are part of why we have kids who have zero respect for authority. If hes dumb enough to do it once....

It's Peabody, every parent at school will know who did it. He may have to leave town.

Because your daycare is usually a family you know...

Moot, though, because this incident didn’t take place at a family daycare. It took place at a corporate center-type daycare, similar to where thousands of families send their kids in this, the 21st century.

No matter where you are in America, free state or not, a corporate daycare will have corporate policies. I STRONGLY suspect those policies won’t be gun-friendly, the modern insurance world being what it is.

It’d be great if it was 1976 and we could all leave our kids with Ms Muffett down the block. It’d be greater still if it was 1956 and we didn’t need daycare. But that’s not the world in which this incident took place.

Lol. What is this LTC you speak of?? Outside of MA and in a gun friendly state the daycare puts the gun aside. Because your daycare is usually a family you know and your kid is in their home where the daycare providers guns are also present.

My kids never spent a day in a daycare where the parents running it didn't own and carry firearms.
Are the guns laying around the house in diaper bags or in the playpens?...lol
I mean really, let's have a normal conversation, apples to apples.
Ignorance is bliss.
I strongly believe in the right to bear arms, but it doesn't give the right to be ignorant with that right. And putting a loaded gun in a preschool child bag is first class stupid.

It wasn't so long ago, in many of our lifetimes, that this would have been resolved with a phone call or a letter sent home with the kid....

Liberty isn’t what it used to be, especially in MA.

I'm not all that happy about it either. But I'm not going to blame a business for choosing the better part of valor if the alternative is a possible lawsuit that puts them out of business and leaves their employees jobless, either. That's the world we live in now.

Moot, though, because this incident didn’t take place at a family daycare. It took place at a corporate center-type daycare, similar to where thousands of families send their kids in this, the 21st century.

No matter where you are in America, free state or not, a corporate daycare will have corporate policies. I STRONGLY suspect those policies won’t be gun-friendly, the modern insurance world being what it is.

It’d be great if it was 1976 and we could all leave our kids with Ms Muffett down the block. It’d be greater still if it was 1956 and we didn’t need daycare. But that’s not the world in which this incident took place.

1976? My kids had at home daycare less than 10 years ago. So yeah, armed home daycare still happens.

I'm not all that happy about it either. But I'm not going to blame a business for choosing the better part of valor if the alternative is a possible lawsuit that puts them out of business and leaves their employees jobless, either. That's the world we live in now.

Most of that stuff is overblown, re, liability, blah blah. Just like the bullshit about how companies ban guns in handbook "because liability" which I think is just some shitty company attorney justifying their paycheck. I think the bigger deal in this particular case is the other clients (likely moonbats) would be stark raving full retard pissed if the guy and his kid weren't banned. Hell that's almost the case anywhere now, like 80% of single moms dumping off kids at a daycare are pure solid moonbats. Also most people are just retarded overprotective about their children now. One of the downsides of "children as a luxury" is they get protected from everything, even relatively meaningless edge risks. In the 80s if a kid fell at daycare and bit his lip because he was a little clumsy parents were like "oh, he's not dead, and doesnt seem concussed, nbd" now if a kid bit his lip at daycare its probably a federal case or something. Or if a kid gets a bloody nose they go to the doctor about it now or some horseshit fearing that the kid might have a brain hemorrhage or something. It couldn't POSSIBLY be that he picked his nose while running and made it bleed. No, impossible. [rofl] The paradigm shift from "children as asset" (eg, like in agrarian culture, or even for awhile after) vs "children as luxury" has created an air of lunacy. George Carlin figured this out in the 90s, but I won't revisit it, as you know exactly what I'm getting at. [laugh]

-Mike

1976? My kids had at home daycare less than 10 years ago. So yeah, armed home daycare still happens.

Of course there's still home daycare. But the center in this thread wasn't one of those. So why bring it up?

It wasn't so long ago, in many of our lifetimes, that this would have been resolved with a phone call or a letter sent home with the kid....

Ah yes, the Golden years. The days when losing your kid to a misplaced firearm was no big deal.
Such a shame we value human life much more than before.
Settling disputes in the streets with colt single actions was a beautiful thing, why cant we bring it back?..
Oh wait ...Chicago.

When I worked in Torrington, CT, a plainclothes officer or officer off duty came through the carwash to get his patrol vehicle washed and vacuumed. He might have been State Trooper, he might have been local PD. Standard car wash procedure for me being the greeter and salesperson was to handle the driver side. First thing I do is notate the position of the seat. I finding something that lines up with another mark in the vehicle is the best way. I then slide the seat all the way back, and start cleaning. Guess what my vacuum nozzle bumped into under the seat? A loaded, racked and ready to roll full size polymer pistol (glock 22 or similar). I removed it, ejected the mag, ejected the round in the chamber, reloaded it into the mag, and then put the gun in the glovebox. I walked inside and gave him a private ration of shit in the office. The jerk then had the audacity to ask me in an accusatory way 'What were you doing under my seat?" "Cleaning your car like you paid for, you idiot" I may have used less kind terms than quoted, but I am paraphrasing to keep the language here clean. The final word was something along the lines of "if this ever happens again all I am going to do is take pictures of YOUR gun in my hands with serial number and email it to whoever I think will make the biggest stink about it."

Which was the stupidest possible move to make in that scenario, but I was pissed off. I was 22 and an idiot. Possibly more so than the officer. The last thing you do is threaten someone who has the ability and authority to make your life a living hell if they wanted to. I never saw him again, and nothing more came of it, thankfully.

Likelihood of the gun going off while cleaning? Not likely. Likelihood of something interacting with the trigger and while me or one of my guys is doing their daily grind? A distinct possibility as I've found things ranging from coat hangers (guys bring their uniform to work hanging up) to condoms (thankfully not used), pens, bits of string, etc in police cruisers in 5 years of working in carwashes. Lots of foreign objects that could easily get wrapped up around the trigger and caught in the suction of the vacuum while we are quickly trying to clean.

Guns don't shoot themselves, but someone unaware of their presence doing normal, daily routine things will certainly have a risk of having it go off.

Should this guy be punished? In my non-judiciary opinon, hell yeah. What should it amount to? Suspension of LTC for sure. Fines. And community service. Preferably volunteering somewhere or with an organization that teaches the responsible handling of firearms, to drive home the point.

But its MA, and he's losing his LTC and possible going to have endangering a minor added on. Speculation only on my part though.

Last edited:
Of course there's still home daycare. But the center in this thread wasn't one of those. So why bring it up?

Because it fits his side of the story, even though it has zero comparisons.
Sometime we dont think and just stay stuff cuz we are angry at another's opinion.

Ah yes, the Golden years. The days when losing your kid to a misplaced firearm was no big deal.
Such a shame we value human life much more than before.

Nobody died here (or even came close to it) but you keep trying to massage it into that.... keep trying to polish that turd... [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom