1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Pistol found in backpack at daycare

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DTOM537, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Agnotology

Agnotology

When I worked in Torrington, CT, a plainclothes officer or officer off duty came through the carwash to get his patrol vehicle washed and vacuumed. He might have been State Trooper, he might have been local PD. Standard car wash procedure for me being the greeter and salesperson was to handle the driver side. First thing I do is notate the position of the seat. I finding something that lines up with another mark in the vehicle is the best way. I then slide the seat all the way back, and start cleaning. Guess what my vacuum nozzle bumped into under the seat? A loaded, racked and ready to roll full size polymer pistol (glock 22 or similar). I removed it, ejected the mag, ejected the round in the chamber, reloaded it into the mag, and then put the gun in the glovebox. I walked inside and gave him a private ration of shit in the office. The jerk then had the audacity to ask me in an accusatory way 'What were you doing under my seat?" "Cleaning your car like you paid for, you idiot" I may have used less kind terms than quoted, but I am paraphrasing to keep the language here clean. The final word was something along the lines of "if this ever happens again all I am going to do is take pictures of YOUR gun in my hands with serial number and email it to whoever I think will make the biggest stink about it."

Which was the stupidest possible move to make in that scenario, but I was pissed off. I was 22 and an idiot. Possibly more so than the officer. The last thing you do is threaten someone who has the ability and authority to make your life a living hell if they wanted to. I never saw him again, and nothing more came of it, thankfully.

Likelihood of the gun going off while cleaning? Not likely. Likelihood of something interacting with the trigger and while me or one of my guys is doing their daily grind? A distinct possibility as I've found things ranging from coat hangers (guys bring their uniform to work hanging up) to condoms (thankfully not used), pens, bits of string, etc in police cruisers in 5 years of working in carwashes. Lots of foreign objects that could easily get wrapped up around the trigger and caught in the suction of the vacuum while we are quickly trying to clean.

Guns don't shoot themselves, but someone unaware of their presence doing normal, daily routine things will certainly have a risk of having it go off.

Should this guy be punished? In my non-judiciary opinon, hell yeah. What should it amount to? Suspension of LTC for sure. Fines. And community service. Preferably volunteering somewhere or with an organization that teaches the responsible handling of firearms, to drive home the point.

But its MA, and he's losing his LTC and possible going to have endangering a minor added on. Speculation only on my part though.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    commodon likes this.

2. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

Because it fits his side of the story, even though it has zero comparisons.
    Sometime we dont think and just stay stuff cuz we are angry at another's opinion.

commodon likes this.
  3. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

Were the guns in control by adults or were they loaded laying around stuffed in kids diaper bags?
    I'm sure if you saw the latter of the 2, your kid wouldn't have gone.
    Let's not fool eachother here.

commodon, DTOM537 and Picton like this.
  4. DTOM537

DTOM537 NES Member

88954029-DBC6-4F94-AFF4-37B58EB0FA69.jpeg

Bt74 likes this.
  5. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

Thats it? Go green Bro..

[rofl]

Energizer likes this.
  6. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

NO, just banned from having any pools.

commodon likes this.
  7. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

I love a good internet legend, why is someone's name not spoken here?

commodon likes this.
  8. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

It's better forgetting your gat in the diaper bag than the baby in a hot car. Guy gets points for not killing his kid.

9. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Nobody died here (or even came close to it) but you keep trying to massage it into that.... keep trying to polish that turd... [laugh]

-Mike

10. oldguy47

oldguy47 NES Member

Just being polite.

11. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Things were handled differently in "the Golden years" as you put it.

Guns were not something that instilled panic, a motorcycle backfiring did not start a stampede in Time Square because someone thought it was a gunshot.

People knew what a gunshot sounded like, because Dad taught them to shoot, or they hunted, or they got a marksmanship merit badge, etc.

Children were taught gun safety. "If you find one leave it alone and find an adult" , and when my now 38 year old daughter was 6 and asked about guns... because she knew I CCW'd almost 24/7, she was shown a revolver, it was explained to her never to touch it unless I was there, never to put a finger in the trigger guard, and never to point it at anyone or anything. She was allowed to hold it unloaded that one time... I never had a problem with her and guns, and neither did my Dad because he gave me the same talk.

My 29 year old Goddaughter is engaged to a very nice guy who is a gun enthusiast, she got the same lecture from her Dad, she is an avid shooter and responsible gun owner.

My 25 year old Niece has a concealed carry permit and my wife taught her to shoot. My Nephew just graduated college, he was taught to shoot when he was 12, at some point he will get a permit when he settles down somewhere...

And there is another word we don't hear much these days, responsible.

Ahh the Golden years, where child care centers (kennels for kids) were almost unheard of... things were not perfect when I was young, there was a controversial war, political turmoil, race relations were not great, you know many of the same issues we have today, and we had smelly Hippies and a drug problem.... the more things change the more they stay the same.. but the one thing that got lost over the last 55 years in my opinion is common sense. That is the one thing I miss about "the Golden years" as you put it. I also miss penny candy and getting a roll of caps for my cap pistol... can you imagine giving a child a cap pistol today!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  12. jpk

jpk

13. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

My son has a couple of cap guns... along with a .22 bolt action and .22 lever action that he got as Christmas gifts when he was 10.

appraiser likes this.
  14. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

I get it. But those can be the consequences of misplaced firearm, Its not like he misplaced his car keys, or even a screw driver, or a hammer or a sawzall. (Yes, a 3 year old could poke an eye out).
    There is alot of turd polishing around here, I'm not alone. The gas chamber was introduced and that was never even implied, so let's be fair here.
    And I don't think this is getting blown up like we all think, I'm not sure if the swat team showed up?. It seems it might have been handled with some mature professionalism, but I could be wrong, this Massachusetts. I'm not sure it's all over the news.?

15. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

Would you have put your loaded gun in his diaper bag if you sent him off to daycare?
    Now notice the word diapers. 10 year olds dont go to daycare, where they change your diapers.

I had pellet guns, bb guns, 22's when I was 10, but my father never left his guns in dumb places, like my diaper bag.. lol
    I found them years later when I could reach in high place, and was old enough to understand gun safety, But I never fondled them, or my ass was grass.
    I grew up with guns and ultimately we enjoyed guns together when I got older.
    He definelty taught me safe gun handling. I was taught not to be negligent with firearms.
    This could have cost him his sons life.
    I'm sorry. I'm not ignoring his idiocy just because hes an ltc holder like myself. Hes a meat stick and deserves something for being just that. I'm not afraid to say it.

Bt74 likes this.
  16. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

Just because firearms tolerance has gone down the pooper, doesnt mean it's more or less idiotic to leave a loaded gun in your kids diaper bag, even in the golden years. It may have been handled differently, sure.
    These days more and more people are hopping on the gun bandwagon, some of them cant even look you in the eye let alone handle a firearm properly.

17. BigAl23

BigAl23 NES Member

Unacceptable, but I think child services should not have been called. He was not neglecting his child. They have no input here.

drgrant and xtry51 like this.
  18. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

no.

I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. I can't imagine even putting a f***ing gun in my daughter's diaper bag or my son's back pack.

While on the one hand I don't believe someone should permanently lose a constitutional right over this, I do believe the dad here is pretty f-ing stupid, kind of surprised he remembers to breath.

As a parent, I'd be pretty pissed off to get a call from the school like that too that there was a loaded gun in some kid's bag. If a kid found it before a teacher did, this could have had a pretty tragic ending.

I think the dad should get his license back, but only after he gets shot in the knee once.

42!, commodon, Bt74 and 2 others like this.
  19. BigAl23

BigAl23 NES Member

Still why would he put it in his backpack? And if it was his, why did he leave it at daycare? Sorry, all wrong.

Bt74 likes this.
  20. DTOM537

DTOM537 NES Member

21. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

You MUST be a Statist/Racist! How dare you criticize some dikhead that puts a loaded gun in his kiddies backpack!

DTOM537 and commodon like this.
  22. Agnotology

Agnotology

Trying to figure out where people are at here. I think everyone agrees it was stupid. I think everyone agrees SOME form of punishment is due. I think we all agree the incident isn't even newsworthy.

So are we arguing over precisely how stupid he was? Or what his punishment should be? The former is pointless, and the latter none of us are qualified for. Unless someone here is or has been a sitting judge.

As I value my opinion highly, this was not my 2 cents, but an entire nickel. :D

23. tuna

tuna NES Member

Kids don't generally go in their own diaper bags. That’s something for adults to do.
    Buncha pansies on here.

Jason Flare likes this.
  24. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

Do adults normally put guns in diaper bags?

DTOM537 likes this.
  25. Picton

Picton NES Member

No, they go in each others’.

DTOM537 likes this.
  26. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

My backpack, (well knapsack actually if you want to be pedantic), has a kydex holster velcroed in one of the pockets. Just about every time I carry that knapsack, there's a Glock 17 in it.

In other compartments I've got a trauma kit, a flashlight, a spare knife, bandaids...

Energizer likes this.
  27. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Kid finds car keys in bag, drives car through the daycare or asphyxiates himself.
    Kid finds screwdriver, sticks it in socket and sets fire to school.
    Kid finds hammer or sawzall and injures his buddy.

All possibilities but nothing we would get excited about cause the tools of mayhem aren't scary.

My kid did something bad in school which could have resulted in a lot of injuries- what I won't mention - he got sent to the principal and I got a phone call to let me know he was a bad boy but he was fine, that was it. No guns involved so nobody went off the deep end, it was just boys will be boys.

Jason Flare likes this.
  28. robjax

robjax

it's kind of funny to me that in other threads they talk about criminal intent or just intent. There was no intent here to commit a crime. This was a mistake. An oversight. Is it a bad mistake/oversight? Yup. Is he a criminal? No.

Kid gets expelled from the daycare, he is losing his LTC and guns, CPS is involved so he may even lose his kid....this is freakin the epitome of tyranny.

Nobody got hurt. The situation seems to be handled appropriately so what was the harm? A firearm is not a risk as long as you keep your finger off the trigger.

And others in this thread already have him convicted of a crime and agree with what he will have to go through.

Wow....just wow.

I hope all of you are absolutely perfect and never make a mistake. Otherwise you will be considered guilty until proven innocent.

At most this should be a fine. But we all know the punishment will be disproportionately greater than the alleged crime.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  29. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

That's interesting. I just "assumed" daycare centers were included.

30. DTOM537

DTOM537 NES Member

Ok that’s fine, but do you leave that back pack at a daycare with the g17 in it ??