Pistol Flashlight

Just picked up a new G19 gen 3 with that oh so sweet tactical rail. Since I'm now part of the armchair operator club, I need a schweet gizmo to hang off it. As an inaugural accessory I want a light. Considering most heavily one of the Tlr1 models, but unsure of which one. Hoping for suggestions and feedback on whichever one you might have.

To inspire discussion, I will consider alternatives to the Tlr1 lights.

To FURTHER inspire discussion, my new setup will need a holster, OWB, kydex, and most importantly, badass. Which are best? Or are they all the same?

I have TLR-1 HL w/strobe on my G19 and G22. I haven't had an issue with either unit. If money wasn't a constraint, I'd like to try the Surefire X300.

TLR-3 gives off plenty of light for inside the home. But the TLR-1 uses the much more common CR123 battery.

I think the Streamlights give you so much more bang for the buck than Surefires, which are crazy expensive and I'm not sure why.

Forget about a light mounted pistol... wherever the flashlight goes, so goes the muzzle!
you need this-
642100_03_beautiful_glock_17_9mm_gen_4_h_640.jpg

I heard tell by them as knows, this takes away the element of surprise by giving away your position.
That's true, but I want to know who them is before I fire. I also might need light to know where them are.

- - - Updated - - -

Forget about a light mounted pistol... wherever the flashlight goes, so goes the muzzle!
you need this-
642100_03_beautiful_glock_17_9mm_gen_4_h_640.jpg
One of the reasons I need to add the light to my gun is that I always hold a ka bar in my left hand, like in call of duty, a la the tactical knife upgrade.

Last edited:
I had problems with the TRL 1 the springs for the battery came unsoldered with 50 rounds down the pipe on am M&P 9 Pro... got it fixed but I won't put it on something I am going to potentially use to save my or family's life.

I'm surprised at the negative comments, from what I've read from the safety of my couch I thought the tlr series was basically the standard by which other lights were measured. The price seemed much more bearable than the Surefire offerings.

Based on some YouTube research I'm leaning toward the HL model because more lumens seems more better in more situations. Any experience with the inforce lights out there?

I have a TLR-1 HL on my G22 and I like it - I also don't beat on it much though. For a holster, I ended up with an AIWB rig from 508holsters and would definitely recommend it.

Olight makes a nice one that is very inexpensive. It also only takes one battery so it is lighter and slimmer than the Streamlights. I have a TRL1 and I like the Olight Valkyrie better for in the house. Wider beam that is not so bright it blinds the user

I have a TLR-1S on my G21. Love it. Eats batteries though. May also be because I play with it a lot. I do have the pistol bayonet above, bought one just because. It's decently sharp too.

http://www.surefire.com/xc1-led-weaponlight.html

put one of these on my G19 last year. It's not the brightest light available but I like the fact it runs off a standard AAA battery plus it basically fits the gun perfect. It's bright enough to light up hallways and rooms in the middle of the night.

Its a little on the pricey side but "buy once cry once" right.

Just picked up a new G19 gen 3 with that oh so sweet tactical rail. Since I'm now part of the armchair operator club, I need a schweet gizmo to hang off it. As an inaugural accessory I want a light. Considering most heavily one of the Tlr1 models, but unsure of which one. Hoping for suggestions and feedback on whichever one you might have.

To FURTHER inspire discussion, my new setup will need a holster, OWB, kydex, and most importantly, badass. Which are best? Or are they all the same?

I use a TRL 3 on my 19 and/or 17. Works great. I actually used it once (aside from some night shooting) when my house alarm went off in the middle of the night. Commence pucker. Turned out to be a system glitch but I did get some realistic practice for my 'oh shit' planning.

http://www.surefire.com/xc1-led-weaponlight.html

put one of these on my G19 last year. It's not the brightest light available but I like the fact it runs off a standard AAA battery plus it basically fits the gun perfect. It's bright enough to light up hallways and rooms in the middle of the night.

Its a little on the pricey side but "buy once cry once" right.

I was holding off one one of those cause I heard they had issues. Wonder if that's resolved?

Have you considered the Inforce light?
I have. How do they compare? Would likely be interested in the gen 3 400lm model.

Part of the reason I was leaning toward streamlight was because I thought there would be more holster support.

G21 w/ TRL-1s in a Raven Concealment holster. Haven't had a problem with mine. Probably only 2-300 down the pipe with it mounted. Lens gets sooted up quick though. I tape mine over for training now.

Hoping for suggestions and feedback on whichever one you might have.

Surefire XC1.jpg

Surefire XC-1 on my G17K.

Rides in a Keeper's Concealment AIWB holster.

Light is bright enough (200 lumens on 1 x AAA) for what I need it to do inside the house and at about two car lengths outside.

G21 w/ TRL-1s in a Raven Concealment holster. Haven't had a problem with mine. Probably only 2-300 down the pipe with it mounted. Lens gets sooted up quick though. I tape mine over for training now.

Try coating it with a light grease instead. That won't affect light transmission but will be easy to wipe off when it gets dirty.

Back
Top Bottom