Pistol EIC Matches in New England?

amb

NES Member
Pistol EIC matches have always been harder to find than rifle, but there seem to be fewer and fewer. Anyone know of any coming up? For some reason the "upcoming matches" as listed by the CMP is always sparse, and has nothing for this year, but judging from past years I tentatively expect:

• Pelham, NH (September)
  • Scarborough, Maine (June and September)
  • Attleboro, Mass. (GOAL, late August)
  • Wallingford, Conn. (CSRRA, May and September)
  • West Greenwich, RI (South County R&G; date seems to vary)

Anyone know dates to add to this? I've checked all available schedules for the above and found exactly nothing, but I'd have expected more spring matches.

Note: WSA used to run one in June in Bedford, Mass., but they didn't last year. (Which is too bad; they've got a decent 25/50 range with turning targets for 25.)

Excellence in Competion, I believe is what it stands for. Commonly known as a Leg Match, earning points for a Distinguished badge.

Thanks, Dan, but what kind of match is it? Bullseye type or a steel target setup? Long range or short? That kind of thing.

Bullseye, 50 yards slow fire, 25 yards timed and rapid. Pistols have limits on what can be done, and trigger weight.

That sounds good to me. I like precision handgun shooting above all others. If you should find out more about this EIC handgun shooting, please post as I'd go out of my way to try this.

Thanks again, Dan

John

Here's a bunch of history cut down to one long but hopefully-accurate paragraph: sometime in the late 19th century, the US government started a program to reward good marksmanship in the armed forces with the "Distinguished Marksman" program. This was later split into separate Rifle and Pistol programs, and at some point the military realized that encouraging civilians was a good idea as well and a civilian marksmanship program was started. That program, though much-changed, lives on, and some people highly value the quest for a Distinguished badge. Getting such a badge requires good performance in at least three EIC matches, also known as CMP leg matches. (But there are many "CMP Matches" in the rifle world which aren't leg matches but just follow the CMP's match format.) The CMP does a lot of other good stuff, too, including selling government surplus rifles to qualified buyers at a very fair price. (Once upon a time they sold M1s for cheap-as-free, but no longer.)

CMP web site: http://www.odcmp.com/

Note: competition is done with arms that look externally identical to, for rifle, the M1, M14, or M16, or for pistol the M1911 or M9. (But internal enhancements are common.) If you're seriously interested, spend a long time figuring out the equipment requirements, since there are a bazillion very common modifications that make a 1911 not-CMP-legal, and going out of your way for a match only to get DQd on equipment sucks.

Pistol EIC matches have always been harder to find than rifle, but there seem to be fewer and fewer. Anyone know of any coming up? For some reason the "upcoming matches" as listed by the CMP is always sparse, and has nothing for this year, but judging from past years I tentatively expect:

• Pelham, NH (September)
  • Scarborough, Maine (June and September)
  • Attleboro, Mass. (GOAL, late August)
  • Wallingford, Conn. (CSRRA, May and September)
  • West Greenwich, RI (South County R&G; date seems to vary)

Anyone know dates to add to this? I've checked all available schedules for the above and found exactly nothing, but I'd have expected more spring matches.

Note: WSA used to run one in June in Bedford, Mass., but they didn't last year. (Which is too bad; they've got a decent 25/50 range with turning targets for 25.)

June 20-21 Regional at Pelham. Its also going to be a combined Bullseye 2700 with a service pistol match mixed in so you get the opportunity to shoot a 900 with your ball gun before shooting the EIC match.

Angletree is having the Beanpot June 6-7 which will include the EIC.

Last edited:
N.E. Pistol has some information, mostly schedules and contacts.
http://www.nepistol.com/

yeahthat.gif

I had to edit my earlier post. I have a sfamily obligation on the 27-28 that came up at the last minute and I am changing the date to 20-21 of June.

Back
Top Bottom