• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol Cases for storing and Airline use

Brent

NES Member
Can anyone post links to any 2 or 4 pistol gun cases that also meets Airline requirements?

I am currently looking at the following 2 but wanted to see what others are using.

Case 1
Case 2

Brent,

Anything will work for storage, but I doubt that the foam does anything good if you leave them in there for months/years.

Airlines are a different animal.

Pelican http://www.pelican.com/cases/cases.html

Camera cases you can check out at Hunt Photo, The Camera Company (Norwood) or just Google for them.

A few years ago Costco or Sam's Club had some very cheap, well constructed cases . . . but like many things in these stores, they have them for a while and then never again.

Check out Wal-Mart, Sports Authority (near rotary by Braintree R&P) and Dick's shortly. After the hunting season buying is over, they discount what's left over to get rid of them.

LenS said:
Brent,

Anything will work for storage, but I doubt that the foam does anything good if you leave them in there for months/years.

Airlines are a different animal.

Pelican http://www.pelican.com/cases/cases.html

Camera cases you can check out at Hunt Photo, The Camera Company (Norwood) or just Google for them.

A few years ago Costco or Sam's Club had some very cheap, well constructed cases . . . but like many things in these stores, they have them for a while and then never again.

Check out Wal-Mart, Sports Authority (near rotary by Braintree R&P) and Dick's shortly. After the hunting season buying is over, they discount what's left over to get rid of them.

It wouldnt be for long term storage.. Mostly for transport in car/trunk or airline travel type stuff..

Anyone use those Pelican cases? Opinions? Which one would you recommend for a 2 pistol case with some room for mags?

Brent,
I was chatting with a guy at the range that had the big brother of the second case you posted. It was big enough for 2 scoped rifles and a pistol or 3. The case is VERY well made, a bit on the heavy side, but will withstand ANYTHING those baggage claim folks can throw at it.

Don't know if they sell it for the pistol cases as well, but he also had a nylon cover for his. That way no one would know that it was a metal pistol case.

Adam

I've got a large pelican case (fits 2 rifles). Yes, it is sturdy. But the darn thing is heavy. Really heavy. Too blasted heavy.

Plano Cases

I use a case made by Plano. (Yes, the same ones that make all the tackle boxes.) It is aluminum (zero/pelican like) and so far it is very good. It holds 4 pistols. BTW, I ALWAYS put my pistol case inside my hardside luggage. But, I will be buying a 1 gun case pretty soon.

As far I know, the only "airline requirement" is that it has a lock. If you are considering sending a pistol case as a piece of luggage on its own, I would say that you will need to pay much more (I've seen >$250) to get that kind of quality. Where as, my 4 pistol Plano case ($39) inside my Samsonite hardside (i.e. gorilla proof) works great for me.

For my big (2 rifle) case, I went generic plastic, not sure of the exact brand. Again, only ~$50. This is plain black, with NO markings about guns. It uses two standard padlocks and seems to have a rugged hinge. And, so far, it is rugged enough to take airline baggage handlers. On my last trip, a couple of people thought I was carrying a keyboard. This made me feel a lot less conspicuous at the airport.

Welp. After a lot of looking around and recommendations, I picked me up a Pelican 1400 case for my 2 pistols. Thanks for all the links and assistance!

Now gotta look into a 2 rifle case :)

Brent said:
Welp. After a lot of looking around and recommendations, I picked me up a Pelican 1400 case for my 2 pistols. Thanks for all the links and assistance!

Now gotta look into a 2 rifle case :)

Nice case. I fell into a closeout lot of 9 of them for an unbeleiveable price a few years ago. Kept one, sold one privately and sold the rest to Carl at Four Seasons!

Gun Case

I carry all of my underwater photo gear in a Pelican case for the last 15 years. I never has one problem with this somewhat delicate gear. It has travelled all over the place and been bounched around by airlines. Even the case is undamaged after all of that. You will be happy with the Pelican brand.

Back
Top Bottom