pistol cal carbine build experts 9mm or 40?

have hi cap glock mags for both; been led to understand that the 40 is pretty potent over the 9mm out of a carbine. stern defense makes ar15 conversion units for both [ MAG-AD9 W/ MOD4 15'' M-LOK 16.1''BARREL 40SW RIFLE UPPER KIT ] do you know anything about the companies product quality or should i wait for the sold out not to be found anywhere ruger pcc. facts only please; no 40 cal hater rants

I shot Stern Defense full auto AR-15 in 9mm and .45 at the Big Daddy Epic Shoot last fall at my club.

Spoke to one of their product development engineers also, and was impressed with the product and the person.

Somewhere I have video of Jerry Miculek running one of their guns while I RO'd.

Whatever you have more of and can also get more of....maybe at a reasonable price, but that is kind of out the window currently. 40 was dying before this.

I have a Glock-compatible AR lower. I bought it to build up a 9mm carbine, and then I also built up a .40S&W upper for it. So now I can run either. I still prefer the 9mm, because I can run it suppressed, but I’ll tell you this: this 180gr .40S&W rounds really thump the plates down. I have one of the Stern Defense conversions for use in a different carbine. It’s well-made and runs great. Plus, a PCC upper ain’t rocket science. It’s not like you have worry about tuning a gas system. It’s pretty much plug and play.

Potency only matters if it’s for home defense. I don’t think too many people are using their PCCs for that. If it’s for competition, get the one that matches the handgun caliber you shoot most. That way when components/ammo comes back you can buy larger quantities.
if your actually serious about competing, then get the 9mm because that’s where you will eventually end up anyway.

I will ask a question what is the intended use?
If competition, like USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge - then 9mm, it makes minor power factor and that is what one needs.
If anythinge else - could be 9mm, cheap to shoot, could be .45 - bigger hole.
I think 9mm is more common.

Last edited:
Standard (ie. non +p) .40 will have like around 100 ft-lbs more muzzle energy at 16" than standard 9mm. That's roughly 30% MOAR PAWAR! That would be one good argument for that round in a PCC. I'm personally interested in 10mm, but if you have .40 gear already, I can see why you might want to go that route.

Standard (ie. non +p) .40 will have like around 100 ft-lbs more muzzle energy at 16" than standard 9mm. That's roughly 30% MOAR PAWAR! That would be one good argument for that round in a PCC. I'm personally interested in 10mm, but if you have .40 gear already, I can see why you might want to go that route.
i have 2 10 mm autos was thinking of a carbine in that caliber but heard that 10mm does not do that well in a carbine. looks like 40 comes close to 10 mm handgun performance in a longer barrel

Neither: 357 Sig, with Lehigh Xtreme defender bullets and bask in that load’s crazy terminal performance with high velocity:

I’m only have kidding. It does perform great and would especially be good with the extra velocity of a longer barrel. But there aren’t a whole lot of 357 Sig PCCs.
I have the hots for a .357Sig upper. The barrels are a bitch to find, especially at anything resembling a reasonable price. I think a PCC in .357Sig would be a shitload of fun.

i have 2 10 mm autos was thinking of a carbine in that caliber but heard that 10mm does not do that well in a carbine. looks like 40 comes close to 10 mm handgun performance in a longer barrel

10mm easily beats that pants off of both by a large margin in sheer ballistics figures regarding muzzle energy at 16", but I have no frame of reference about real world practical application or experience. It just really interests me for some reason, and I'd love to have a 10mm Banshee. If you already have the 10mm gear, then why not (outside of money, of course)?

I have the hots for a .357Sig upper. The barrels are a bitch to find, especially at anything resembling a reasonable price. I think a PCC in .357Sig would be a shitload of fun.

I’ve always thought it was a neat round and would choose it over .40 if I had to pick one. Just a novelty really, until I read the ballistics report that I linked. With the Xtreme defender rounds, it borders on rifle terminal ballistics. It’s kind of crazy. Made me decide to build a 357 Sig camping glock. Doesn’t hurt that one can actually still find sub-$60 square notch preban .40 mags when 9mm square notches are going for $180+.

Oh, I also emailed CMMG a couple days ago asking if they had plans to make a 357 Sig radial delay Banshee. Haven’t heard back yet[smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom