• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol braced AR for hunting? Is 300BLK legal?

**meant to edit the title but I guess I can't -- I know 300BLK cannot be used in "shotgun only" zones -- I'm asking about using an AR pistol or SBR in rifle zones**

Question, and this may be incredibly obvious and I think I'm just overthinking the legalese in use, but I'll ask it anyways. This is all in reference to deer hunting in NH.

So in NH, RSA 208:3 CHAPTER 208 GAME ANIMALS lays out the guidelines about the "shotgun only" zones, where rifles are prohibited and deer can only be taken with a shotgun, muzzle loader, bow/arrow, or pistol.

Per RSA 208:3-d

Pistols permitted under RSA 208:3, 3-a, 3-b, and 3-c shall include a .357 Magnum, 10mm Automatic, .41 Remington, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .480 Ruger, and .50 Magnum, provided that a pistol used for taking deer under this section shall be loaded with no more than 5 rounds of ammunition at any time.

And 208:4

Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 208:3, wild deer shall not be taken by the use of .22 or smaller caliber rimfire firearm at any time.
Easy enough, makes sense. However, in RSA 159.1, a "pistol" is defined as any firearm with a barrel less than 16"

Pistol or revolver, as used herein, means any firearm with barrel less than 16 inches in length.
My question is this: Let's say someone uses an SBR or a pistol braced AR in 300BLK in an area that allows rifle hunting -- does 208:3-d prohibit that because that SBR/AR pistol is a pistol by the state's definition, and 300BLK is not an enumerated caliber in 208:3-d? Or does it not matter because 208:3-d ONLY refers to the areas where caliber restrictions are in effect?

I guess another way to ask this is could you use a 9mm pistol for example, in a non-restricted area even though it is not explicitly listed in 208:3-d, but it is greated than .22 caliber in accordance with 208:4?

Why not just call NH F&G and get your answer?
this is your best bet, imho

edit: the SBR part of your question is a non issue...legally it is a rifle (with a short barrel). the only question you would need to ask F&G would be regarding AR pistols in rifle zones.

Within RSA 159, the difference between a "pistol" and a "rifle" is solely determined by barrel length.

Not sure if this carries over to RSA 208? Would a SBR in .357 magnum be legal for deer hunting in the no-rifle zones of RSA 208:3, or would the game warden just laugh as he writes you up?

Or does it not matter because 208:3-d ONLY refers to the areas where caliber restrictions are in effect?
Correct.

Last edited:
Within RSA 159, the difference between a "pistol" and a "rifle" is solely determined by barrel length.

Not sure if this carries over to RSA 208? Would a SBR in .357 magnum be legal for deer hunting in the no-rifle zones of RSA 208:3, or would the game warden just laugh as he writes you up?
Considering a 14" Contender pistol in .357mag is a common deer handgun hunting setup, I'm pretty sure it'd pass muster legally (warden of the day's opinion notwithstanding).

"Pistols permitted shall include..." doesn't create a comprehensive, restrictive list. Those only caliber excluded by law is .22 or smaller rimfire.

Back
Top Bottom