Pistol barrels and grips for TC Encore rifles

Anyone know what the deal is with these? Thompson Center Encore pistols are not MA compliant but it's not illegal to have pistol barrels shipped here. My question is, if you put pistol components on an Encore frame (pistol and rifle parts are compatible) is it in violation? These are single shot firearms for those not familiar.

Is this company out of state? they may not be familiar with our laws. I do know several companies will ship the barrels.

If you put a pistol length barrel on a frame that was built as a rifle, it becomes a SBR. Federal issue, not a Mass issue.

Of course, but doesn't the chief have to sign off on it? I could see that not happening here.

"It's a take down concealable single shot elephant gun sniper cannon"

ASAIK it's not illegal to do so as long as you don't mix the parts as in a 12" barrel
with a shoulder stock. Years ago the BATFE took T/C to court on their 45 Colt/410 gauge barrel as a violation of the NFA and T/C won the case.
Best bet is to call T/C and they should know the ins and outs of the law.
I can remember the Contender had gazillions of rifle/pistol conversions to be had.
Besides if it were illegal would the BATFE shut T/C down?

If you put a pistol length barrel on a frame that was built as a rifle, it becomes a SBR. Federal issue, not a Mass issue.

How would it be an SBR with a Pistol grip? These receivers are designed to accommodate pistol/rifle stocks/grips, and barrels.

You can't buy a rifle with a stock and then chop/remove the stock and shorten the barrel to less then 16 inches unless you register it as an SBR.

You can't put a shoulder stock on a pistol unless you register it as an SBR (or maybe put a 16 inch or longer barrel on it). You may not be able to register it as an SBR and put a stock on it at all. I can't remember but I thought there was a gotcha in there somewhere.

There are some are some other subtleties I am missing and this is not an area of interest/expertise for me. It has nothing to do with the design of the receiver and everything to do with how it was originally transferred/registered on the 4473. When you buy the gun it is a rifle or a pistol and you can't change a rifle to a pistol period. You can remove the stock but it is still a "rifle" and has to meet the length requirements for rifles.

If you are buying a stripped receiver you can call it whatever you want. They are sometimes referred to as virgin receivers because they have never been transferred as a rifle.

Last edited:
Fox Ridge is Thompson Center's retail store in Rochaster, NH.

I called them, they're not sure. Barrels aren't regulated so I'm not sure if this falls under the AG's regs or not. This wouldn't be a retail purchase of a firearm. This is nothing I'd conceal, range use only.

If this is a federal thing then why can people in other states do this? It's very common to put 12-15" barrels and a pistol grip on an Encore rifle receiver. I do realize it got registered as a rifle on the 4473. The Encore system by nature is changeable, I'd like to see these laws in writing. If this were illegal under federal law then how could they be allowed to sell the systems? I'd like to see these laws on paper.

Here's the ruling of the supreme court, the ATF lost the case against TC that it was an SBR. It's only an SBR if assembled that way. So, you remove the rifle stock, attach the pistol barrel, then attach the pistol grip. There are a few legal links in this copy and paste. So in the end this is legal to do, as long as the firearm is configured properly.
----------------------------------

CONVERTING AN ENCORE:
BATFE in their infinite wisdom says it is legal to go back and forth between pistol and carbine versions with the Encore or Contender. ONLY IF you never have a pistol barrel installed on a frame at the same time as a carbine stock. A carbine stock with a pistol barrel is a SBR.

ATF didn't have any say in the matter. Or rather, they tried to have a say, and got slapped back by the US Supreme Court (5-4 decision). From http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/supreme_cases.html
Quote:
U.S. v. Thompson/Center Arms Co., - U.S.- (1992)
This is another recent examination of the meaning of the language of the NFA by the Supreme Court, along with Staples. Neither involves constitutional law. In this case the court was called upon to decide what constituted a short barreled rifle. T/C wanted to market a kit consisting of one receiver for their Contender gun, a 16"+ barrel, a >16" barrel, a pistol grip and a shoulder stock. This kit could be used, as intended, to assemble a rifle or a pistol, or it could also be used to assemble a SBR. As it could be so used, ATF decided it was a SBR. T/C made one unit on a Form 1, then sued for a tax refund, claiming it wasn't subject to the NFA. This is the way to challenge such a classification. Doing the thing York or SWD did, in those cases, is an invitation to a prosecution. The Staples case will limit such things, but one can easily lose....Here all that was at stake was money. The court decided that the language of the definition of a SBR was vague, and gave it the reading most favorable to the taxpayer, T/C. They decided the kit was not a SBR, nor was any set of parts where they could be used for a legitimate purpose, even if they could also be used to assemble a SBR. However a SBR fully assembled was also clearly a SBR. Thus the other grey area was a SBR in parts form, like an Uzi carbine and a Uzi SMG barrel. A lower court had held in a prior case that that set of parts was a SBR. The court agreed; that if the parts had only one use, to make a SBR, and a person possessed them all that was a SBR also.

The court's decision and opinions can be seen at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/thompson.txt

Note even the dissenters did not hold with all the government's arguements. From http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html (website for Stephen Holbrook, attorney for TC in this case)
Quote:

Leaving aside for the moment the questions surrounding pistol / rifle conversions, barrels aren't firearms by either the federal or Massachusetts definition, so there's nothing to prevent a dealer or individual from shipping one to a Massachusetts resident from out-of-state. Since the EOPS and AG limitations (once again, all together now) only apply to sales by Massachusetts licensed dealers, the question about Mass compliance and any resulting violations is absolutely meaningless. It's equivalent to wondering whether it's OK for someone who's father (but not mother) was Jewish to purchase a firearm in light of the Nazi prohibitions of the 1930's.

Ken

My main concern was that it was registered as a rifle, but that doesn't seem to matter in this specific case according to the supreme court. Most here thought it would be converting it into a SBR, which in most cases it would be. The info in this specific law suit against this particular firearms manufacturer cleared things up.

I was confused about the state laws but that's cleared up now as well. So guys, rush off and buy an Encore rifle so you can turn it into a big ass pistol! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom