Pistol Access Lockbox

massachusetts...sounds like the law says I must have my pistol locked up in a case at home? not exactly home defense-ready. been away from guns long time, not sure of latest nutty laws. doesnt make sense being locked up, but...anyone help me out with some info or suggestions for quick easy access 1-gun deal?

whaaat!!!! lock box? here's a novel idea for home defense, keep it handy and close. and when I go to bed it's on my nightstand within a roll over at arms length. I'm not worried about a lock box, just worried about stayin' alive during a home invasion. don't be a pussy, maura, grow a pair. if youre a man....

so it really is "technically" the law in dumb massa.? cannot have it loaded at the ready next to me, in nightstand draw, etc? if "caught", it's game over? wow. thought I read something about 'under your control'. guess that doesnt mean being next to you in your own darn house. scary thinking about an oddball situation that might happen in your own house and police "discover" it not locked up.
those nice ones cost more that I'd guessed at 150-200... basic key-lock type for under 50 was more what I guessed.

mcshooter.....I've shot the indoor pistol range long ago w/s shore rifle pistol league ass'n, caught some fish out of long pond.

Last edited:
Simplex locks are great when you need something that will work; not subjected to a highly motivated adversary with time on her hands; and can be operated silently with very little chance of a mis-dial. Perfect for the use under discussion.

I also have several of these for quick access in the house (again, I like Simplex locks):

Fort Knox Personal Handgun Safe PB4

Amazon product ASIN B015D82XASView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015D82XAS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JBGTHSXZWY460PQBGZHX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ADE6688B-E0F1-4A58-82C9-2DD377E78E33.jpeg

And I have one of these under my desk for quick access (installed hidden on inside of desk side, at 45 degree angle, which I found works well for me if seated at desk):

570C4EBA-40E7-44C0-A9BD-EAAC63C195DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Vaultek has been worth every penny. For something I use at least twice a day its been a such an improvement over manual lock boxes.

Yup, Mass sate law requires your loaded pistol to be locked up when you're sleeping or otherwise not in control of your gun. I have a V- Line simplex safe and also an early gen. Gunvault, which is battery powered and requires a 4 button code. Both have operated flawlessly through the years and would recommend them. I am leery of the reliability of biometric safes- maybe the technology has become more reliable since the last time I researched safes- which was probably 15 years ago. 😅

Last edited:
Get something with a Simplex lock. Realize that these containers are for complying with the law and helping to keep honest people honest — they don’t provide much real security as they can be easily defeated with the tools already in your home.

Most of the biometric locks are crap.

Simplex locks have been around forever. I took the factory training back in 1980 at a locksmithing convention, and the Simplex rep seemed to have a lot of trouble getting the locks they passed out for use in the class back (no, I did not bogart the one I was using). And timeless clever design that will probably still manufactured in another 40 years.

Been using a Vaultek VT20 for a little over 3 years with no issues. Like some others, it comes with a cable so you can tether it. I have the cable attached to the inside of my truck in case I find the need to lock my gun up while I'm out.

massachusetts...sounds like the law says I must have my pistol locked up in a case at home? not exactly home defense-ready. been away from guns long time, not sure of latest nutty laws. doesnt make sense being locked up, but...anyone help me out with some info or suggestions for quick easy access 1-gun deal?
Nowhere in mass storage law does it say it needs to be locked up "in a case". It could be trigger locked or cable locked and left on the kitchen table and that's stored according to mass law. Now....I know that is also not "home defense ready".......my post is about your claim that it needs to be "in a case".....when that's not at all true.

The actual law is below. You see that entire statement after the word "or"? Don't worry......lots of folks with even good reading comprehension skills skip right over the word OR. It means a locked container OR a mechanical lock.....you know.....one OR the other.

"It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user."

Last edited:
Got a couple of straight up keypad GunVaults around...I like them...none of the biometric units...

I won't tell on myself if you won't.

🐯
Yeah, that works until it doesn’t. If you have a medical issue, then your spouse calls 911, and doesn’t think to put the gun out of site before the EMTs arrive. Guess who comes in with the EMTs? A cop. There have been more than a few cases where this exact situation has resulted in a gun owner getting charged.

Only you can decide which risk is more likely — a violent home invasion with no warning versus a medical or other emergency.

Yeah, that works until it doesn’t. If you have a medical issue, then your spouse calls 911, and doesn’t think to put the gun out of site before the EMTs arrive. Guess who comes in with the EMTs? A cop. There have been more than a few cases where this exact situation has resulted in a gun owner getting charged.

Only you can decide which risk is more likely — a violent home invasion with no warning versus a medical or other emergency.
That's why you always keep an opened trigger lock near the handgun. Never put it on the gun. So if the federales come into your house just say, "I just took the lock off then had this medical/other emergency".

whaaat!!!! lock box? here's a novel idea for home defense, keep it handy and close. and when I go to bed it's on my nightstand within a roll over at arms length. I'm not worried about a lock box, just worried about stayin' alive during a home invasion. don't be a pussy, maura, grow a pair. if youre a man....

Sounds like he wants to stay in the bounds of legality, a personal choice he made.

Back
Top Bottom