Pirahna having a snack

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Pet Piranha Bites Off Toddler's Fingertip

MAINE TOWNSHIP, Ill. -- A 18-month old is recovering after losing part of her finger to the family's pet piranha.

According to the Pioneer Press, the child's mother reported she heard her daughter crying and noticed the toddler's finger was bleeding, the fingertip missing.
At first, the woman says she assumed the family pit bull had bitten the girl.

Full Story >>> w/video http://www.courant.com/ktla-pet-piranha-bites-off-toddlers-fingertip,0,3800447.story

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I always wanted to get a few pirahnas. But I always wondered: How do you clean the tank?

I was told that they only bite if you start moving your arm a lot, kinda like an animal swimming, but if you jsut move slowly they wont bit. Is that true?

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I always wanted to get a few pirahnas. But I always wondered: How do you clean the tank?

I was told that they only bite if you start moving your arm a lot, kinda like an animal swimming, but if you jsut move slowly they wont bit. Is that true?
When I was setting up my 75 gallon tank, I looked into getting piranhas. I chose not to because of how messy they are - you will have to do a lot of cleaning in the tank. If you buy them when they are small, and they get used to your hand in the tank, they will leave you alone.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
A long time ago I took a trip to RI and bought eight of the small red bellies. Very aggressive when about the size of a silver dollar but they tend to eat each other if any of them get hurt or weakened. One got to be about the size of a softball before he croaked. Problem with them is they STARE at you all the time. Easily startled when you flip on and off lights or enter a room if the tank is near the door.

Enjoyable but you have to find a source of good quality feeders or they will eventually get all sorts of parasites and fungus.

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
When the band was leaving the crib, a "roadie" blew up the tank with an M-80. The oscars were freaking for the three seconds they survived. The baby grand had a similar fate when the legs were blown off.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A long time ago I took a trip to RI and bought eight of the small red bellies. Very aggressive when about the size of a silver dollar but they tend to eat each other if any of them get hurt or weakened. One got to be about the size of a softball before he croaked. Problem with them is they STARE at you all the time. Easily startled when you flip on and off lights or enter a room if the tank is near the door.

Enjoyable but you have to find a source of good quality feeders or they will eventually get all sorts of parasites and fungus.
I bet you they get parasites because people feed them live fish. With salt water fish that problem is easily solved by feeding them fresh water fish. But with fresh water, its a little harder. I would only feed them mice, and some chicken.

I hear piranhas love liberals.

Top Bottom