• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pinning stock

I know we need to have our evil collapsible stocks pinned. Not to start debate but does anyone know what 'the man' considers pinned? Reason I'm asking is I'm building my son (he's only 1 atm) and Ar. I want to pin it with a roll pin at the shortest but as he grows to extend the stock to fit him. Thanks all.

I know we need to have our evil collapsible stocks pinned. Not to start debate but does anyone know what 'the man' considers pinned? Reason I'm asking is I'm building my son (he's only 1 atm) and Ar. I want to pin it with a roll pin at the shortest but as he grows to extend the stock to fit him. Thanks all.

There's a easy what to do it . Take the adjustment part a part . You'll find a sping and detent . Replace them with a longer pin with no spring .

For you to adjust the length of pull you'll need tools so its awb safe

What kind of stock are you going to be using? Standard M4 style? Magpul (if so which one)? I'm from NJ but I understand we have similar laws. Nowhere in our laws does it state HOW a stock should be made to not collapse. I think the main objective of the law is to make the modification to the stock permanent or not reversible since it says you cannot have "a folding or telescoping stock". I know this topic has been beaten to hell and I think at the end you'll have a lot of options to pick from and it will be up to you to decide how you want to make your stock permanent.

I personally follow what Cap said, if I hand a courtroom prosecutor my AR and I ask them to fold or collapse the stock they will not be able to do so unless they use tools. But, being that you CAN modify the stock by using tools, it does not make it a "permanent" modification. But where does it says it has to be permanent? /grayarea

If you want to be able to easily adjust it in the future and you are looking to use a pin, don't do a blind pin, otherwise you'll have problems pulling the pin out to re-adjust it. Instead just drill the hole completely through so that you can drive the pin out through the hole, then re-adjust the stock length then re-pin. Modifying this would require the use of tools.

If you don't want to damage the stock then do what warwickben said by modifying the adjustment mechanism. This is how I "pin" my stocks. The last Magpul stock I pinned was done in this fashion (How to pin an MOE Stock (for ban states) - AR15.COM) and I like it because it is completely reversible if you ever want to switch the length or if you ever decide to move to a free state.

Read this thread for more: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...59259-ar15-remove-pins-collapsible-stock.html

drill a hole. smash a roll pin in there.

If you want to be able to easily adjust it in the future and you are looking to use a pin, don't do a blind pin, otherwise you'll have problems pulling the pin out to re-adjust it. Instead just drill the hole completely through so that you can drive the pin out through the hole, then re-adjust the stock length then re-pin. Modifying this would require the use of tools.

just like this.

I did a 3/16 roll pin on it. It's a Magpul CTR stock. I drilled the hole right above the tension lever. All mechanics still work and looks great.

Why bother? The collapsible AR stock isn't really necessary so why by one and pin it? There are a lot of fixed stocks available for less trouble and $. I prefer the popular Ace ARFX stock ($69.95) but the new Magpul fixed stock has caught my attention.

PS One of the biggest mistakes Stoner made was to put the operating spring in the stock. He cured this mistake when he designed the AR 180 which carries the operating spring under the barrel, allowing for a much needed folding stock option.

Why bother? The collapsible AR stock isn't really necessary so why by one and pin it? There are a lot of fixed stocks available for less trouble and $. I prefer the popular Ace ARFX stock ($69.95) but the new Magpul fixed stock has caught my attention.

I would normally agree, except that his kid is growing and wants him to be able to adjust it as he grows into the gun.

Here's the magpul fixed carbine:

20130826_183609.jpg

The point is to be able to adjust it. With the suggestions given in this thread he will be able to do so, and within just a couple minutes too.

Nope but it's hell of alot harder to swap back to adjustable then some of the legal pin stocks I've seen .
I've seen some that don't use a blind hole.

The point is, nobody knows for sure what's legal and anyone who says they do is deluded or lying. You roll the dice and hope for the best.

The point is, nobody knows for sure what's legal and anyone who says they do is deluded or lying. You roll the dice and hope for the best.

True I missed worded. Cranked if a cop saw you with it pined this way. After trying to adjust it and not able to after 20 mins. I'm sure you have much bigger problems if he's bringing your rifle in to be inspected ..

I disagree. I had an Ace on my first build under that theory. Its much easier to get the perfect size with an adjustable stock. And if and when things ever change it can be reverted back to useful. There are plenty of ways to pin doing no damage.

My theory would be if it cant be adjusted without tools/disassembly than you are good. This is not written into law, but for practical purposes if THE MAN is going through your stock locking mechanism with a fine tooth comb you are already in a pretty deep hole.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom