• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

pinned stock on ar?

OK so I have an MP15 with the non adjustable stock. I am not really happy with how it fits and I think the stock could be shorter. From what I understand I can do this if I get it pinned from a gunsmith but I am not sure exactly how short I want it. Without getting some range time with an adjustable one I cant be sure. Is there a guideline for proper fit?

How it feels for you. No real chart. What stock exactly do you have on it, A2? If it has a collapsible looking stock it my be a pinned stock already, in which case you could just pull the pin out, then relocate it. Pic?

You can buy an adjustable stock and pin it yourself with a drill, roll pin and hammer.

If you have the MA version of the MP15, you cannot adjust the length of pull on the stock.

You need a whole new buffer tube and stock set.

If you have the MA version of the MP15, you cannot adjust the length of pull on the stock.

You need a whole new buffer tube and stock set.

This. I've friends that found that out the hard way. It only LOOKS adjustable - taking it apart will just get you in a world of yech - better to buy a new one and start from scratch.

Its the mass one. Got it at FS.
So basically if I buy a new buffer tube and stock set, just get an adjustable one and wherever it feels right pin it there.
Any suggestions on a buffer tube and stock set? If its going to get pinned anyways, is it just looks or are some better than others
Now I gotta learn about buffer tubes too so much to learn -haha

Its the mass one. Got it at FS.
So basically if I buy a new buffer tube and stock set, just get an adjustable one and wherever it feels right pin it there.
Any suggestions on a buffer tube and stock set? If its going to get pinned anyways, is it just looks or are some better than others
Now I gotta learn about buffer tubes too so much to learn -haha

I think the mp 15 takes a mil-spec buffer tube. Though you may want to check S&Ws site to be sure. Then just make sure to get the appropriate stock based on the tube size.

Not to sound like a fanboi, but Mag Tech makes a nice one. Make sure you get the COMMERCIAL buffer tube if you've got an M&P 15 and not the milspec one.

I have an m&p 15 22 with an m4 style stock and I took the pin out adjusted the stock to where its comfortable for me, drilled a new hole and re-pinned it. Very easy to do.

I have an m&p 15 22 with an m4 style stock and I took the pin out adjusted the stock to where its comfortable for me, drilled a new hole and re-pinned it. Very easy to do.

This appears to be limited to just the M15-22 from what I've heard on other posts. I think the MA complaint on the .223/5.56 rifles are actually fake, not pinned.

I think the mp 15 takes a mil-spec buffer tube. Though you may want to check S&Ws site to be sure. Then just make sure to get the appropriate stock based on the tube size.

Not to sound like a fanboi, but Mag Tech makes a nice one. Make sure you get the COMMERCIAL buffer tube if you've got an M&P 15 and not the milspec one.

The thread diameter is the same. Both a mil-spec and commercial tube will fit on any lower.

With the "fixed tactical" stock on the MP15, the OP will need a new buffer tube anyway.

I would recommend the MagPul MOE stock. It's comfortable, cheap, and comes in Flat Dark Earth [laugh]

This is deja vu! My M&P 15 is at S&W getting some "work" done. You cannot drill out the pin, move the stock, etc. according to whom I talked to this AM at S&W!! The pin from what the tech said is "hidden" so no no drilling out. U r better off taking the whole tube, buffer spring, and stock off and replacing it with a completely new unit. The buffer tube on M&P's is commercial size. Great, brain-fart on size! sorry.

Hi,

Are there instructions somewhere on how to perform this replacement? Is it "intuitive" once you have the firearm in front of you? Would a gunsmith perform this kind of job?

Thank you.

You can have more than one position drilled and just pin one with a roll pin. Not too tough.

You can have more than one position drilled and just pin one with a roll pin. Not too tough.

Thanks for your reply Greg. I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't glued. I am glad to hear that it can be resized and re-pinned without much drama. My kid would not be able to shoot it on the longest setting...

another idiot law maker from Beacon hill... Wow... I guess adjustable stock will make the shooter more tactical lol so they have to pin it in place.. lol I will do it for you for Free if you live near me.. It's so easy not that hard.. No need a gunsmith to do it which might cost you $120 or more included parts and labo charges lol. Maybe do it yourself you will learn few more new things. buffer tube and stock cost like $80 drill tool you might have it around your house and pin you can go to home depot and fine one, if it's too long sand it down and smooth it out and there ya go maybe another 4 dollars right there.
well good luck.

Another option for the M&P15-22 is to buy a whole new adjustable stock assembly (mil spec stock, buffer tube,..) and pin it once its sized? I could then switch them in minutes when my kid is not shooting it... It would be just a matter of unscrewing one and screwing the other one?

Another option for the M&P15-22 is to buy a whole new adjustable stock assembly (mil spec stock, buffer tube,..) and pin it once its sized? I could then switch them in minutes when my kid is not shooting it... It would be just a matter of unscrewing one and screwing the other one?

That is what I do on my dedicated .22lr when my son wants to shoot. I have an entry stock on for him and a longer stock on if I shoot or my wife. I did THIS nice little mod you on my lower to hold the rear take down detent & spring from coming out on the lowers when you remove the stock. I did it on my 6 lowers, it took only minutes to do them all.

Last edited:
That is what I do on my dedicated .22lr when my son wants to shoot. I have an entry stock on for him and a longer stock on if I shoot or my wife. I did THIS nice little mod you on my lower to hold the rear take down detent & spring from coming out on the lowers when you remove the stock. I did it on my 6 lowers, it took only minutes to do them all.

My NES'09 lower had had that done to it (I was at least the 2nd owner). It was quite convenient.

Just completed the detent spring/pin mod with the 4-40 set screw. Excellent mod that works well. Only drawback is that field repair or service of the detent spring is just about impossible. (Note: add .050 allen wrench to AR tool kit.)

Chris

Check Youtube for AR Buffer Tube Replacement or stock replacement, little parts involved you don't want to lose.

Also, BUY A NEW CASTLE NUT, and a buy or borrow (don't know where you are) a proper wrench. S&W cranks those things on, I couldn't get it to move without fear of breaking the wrench so I used a pipe wrench to get it off and just put a new one on with the right wrench - don't forget to 'stake' it in place when done (use a nail to jam the threads so it's doesn't back off when shooting).

Done this very thing on mine, the tube cannot be cut - it has a spring in it to run the bolt closed.

Not for the 15-22, the buffer tube is plastic and integrated with the receiver. To adjust the stock on that gun you use a very small drill bit that will fit inside the roll pin to drill a pilot hole. Then use that to drill a hole the same size as the pin. Then push out the pin.

Of course first you'll separate the upper from the lower so that you aren't momentarily in possession of an insanely killy .22 semi auto with an adjustable stock.

Once your stock is pinned where you like it (by drilling a new hole in the buffer tube through the existing hole in the stock) you re-insert the roll pin and you are again legal to put your upper back on.

Can someone please tell me why the m&p pinned stock can not be shortened?.
You remove bolt from the adjustment lever. Remove the pin that goes through the stock and lower portion of buffer tube. You should get about 2 adjustment posistions shorter as a normally functioning adjustable stock gets. Maybe they changed something recently but that's my experience. I then made another pin hole where it was a good length.
If your wondering. 1/4" in length change will move your nose close to a 1" forward towards the charging handle. More or less. Position also changes the distance your nose is from the charging handle.
The ace entry stock from rra runs very short. Cost like 65 bucks for stock buffer spring and tube.

Back
Top Bottom