• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pinned magazines legal in MA?

TTBOMK it's never been adjudicated so until someone is prosecuted and wins/loses we really won't know. That's the only real legal answer.

One can speculate that if it is really permanently disabled from holding more than 10 rds (5 rds for shotgun) that is SHOULD be OK, but police and prosecutors with an agenda may well force someone to obtain "firearms competent" counsel to prove this in court.

Thanks for the super fast reply. I certainly don't want to be the guy to prove or disprove legality:) i'm interested in these mags because the baseplate can be removed for cleaning or to add a Ranger plate. As well, With tools it can be modified to hold 30 rounds which would be nice when shooting in other states where they are legal.

The other reason for my question is that I ordered 2 of these from the company in the link, and without consulting me substituted the blocked mags. I contacted the guy as soon as I got the order but as of today, six days later, have not received a reply. I'm going to contact him again and if he doesn't reply within 48 hours, will contest the charge with my credit card company. I think it's poor business to do what he did without consulting the customer for approval prior to the sale. I would have gotten the 10/20 mags instead had I known that he wouldn't sell me what I wanted.

Based on the wording of MA Laws the mags are legal IMO, my FFL dealer also said they are fine, I asked him before I ordered. I figured I would ask here so that I would have more info and hopefully more clarity regarding this issue.

Last edited:
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121
“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131m
Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Last edited:
The magazine that shipped with my S&W 15-22 is pinned, it's a 25round pinned to 10round. If thats leagal I don't see why the others wouldn't be... then again, this is MA!

The key language seems to me to be whether it can be "readily converted" back to +10 rounds. Seems to me the block would have to be at least semi permanent, meaning something more than the standard installation of the mag block.

That wouldn't have to be litigated--it's right in the language of the statute. It also doesn't help that all the mag blocks I've seen available for sale online have huge disclaimers stating the blocks can't be used to usurp capacity laws.

Last edited:
I guess the terms "readily converted" are unclear, at least to me. Does it mean with or without tools? Is a pinned mag any different than pinning an M4 style adjustable stock? You need tools to adjust the pinned stock.

Dnepro- mike, I'm aware of the law and penalties but a situation like chopperman posted is what I'm getting at. As well, the other issue is that the vendor substituted an item without my consent nor does he state anywhere that pinned mags won't be sold to MA residents. If he doesn't want to sell them to me it's not an issue as long as he tells me prior to taking my money. There are plenty of online stores that won't sell mags to MA, which is fine with me, but they are perfectly clear about it. I'm not looking to start a debate, just trying to get some clarity. I'll just stick with pre- ban or completely neutered mags until I am absolutely certain or move to a free state.

OfficerObie- the pinned mags require being drilled out in order to be 30 rounds. Converting back to 10 rounds requires riveting them back in place. I would never risk my LTC or forfeiting my guns just to have a 30 round mag. Nor do I want to be the poor SOB that has to pay for litigation because of it. I'll just stick with what is definitely legal.

I would believe since SW sells pinned mags to MA dealers and dealers in turn sell them that it meets the definition. I doubt SW would risk their company's existence by doing so if they thought it was in any way a gray area.

Mike- no problem man, I didn't mean to come across as a jerk, if I did then I'm sorry. The firearms laws in this state are way too ambiguous in some parts and leave important aspects open to the interpretation of LEO's, citizens and retailers. Just like the posts about pinned M4 stocks, pinned mags are another grey area. Aside from the legal aspects I'm pissed that National Gun Supply didn't contact me about the substitution. I've owned a business for 15 years and would never substitute any part or materials that a customer ordered without their consent. It's just bad business to do so. In this day and age there is no excuse for poor or no communication.

Many thanks to all of you for helping out!

On a positive note, I just went GREEN because this place is so awesome and everyone is so helpful.

Thanks again everyone.

Now this is my question. How hard is it to convert these "pinned" magazines back to 30 rounds? Not saying that I would do that. I dont even own a 30 round magazine pinned at 10. Is it do able?

I asked that question a couple years ago to the lic board and got a return call back from Guida who when asked the same question said "good question" and replied that if a problem arose it would probably go to court and have to be determined on a case by case basis with expert testimony. Now common sense would say that if you can only stuff 10 into a mag then you would be OK but define easily convertible back to a hi cap. Does that mean easy in the middle of a shootout or easy in a full machine shop? I can't afford to be proven right!

dave

Jason gave you the only real answer. Fight it out in court and may the best (and most expensive) lawyer win! But ONLY if you lose and it goes to Appellate court and you win there does it set a precedent for the next victim! Otherwise a DC win is meaningless to set "law" for those following the first victim.

So who is up to tie this down for a real answer? [smile]

Do I hear crickets? [wink]

There will be crickets because there will probably never be a "live" case based on a pinned mag in MA. Most either will get plead out or dropped before going to trial, assuming a charge is attempted at all.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom