• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pinned Flash Hider.....legal or no?

I wanted to get some opinions on this (MA laws), as I've seen AR's for sale that have a welded on flash hider, not simply the welded muzzle break. For example, my Windham has a welded on muzzle brake, but I was under the impression that a flash hider is illegal regardless of whether it is pinned on the muzzle or not.

Anyone?

Legal how???

The 5.5 inch long flash hiders welded onto 11.5 inch barrels, is a legal option to avoid the gun being an SBR.

The 2.5 inch flash hiders welded onto 14.5 "M4" length barrels, is a legal option to avoid the gun being an SBR.

A flash hider welded on the barrel on a traditional "pre ban" AR would be legal under MA AW ban. (not sure why you'd do it)

A flash hider welded on the barrel on a traditional "post ban" AR not legal under MA AW ban.

A flash hider welded on the barrel of an otherwise "feature less" AR would be legal under MA AW ban. (flash hider would then be your 1 evil feature)

Legal how???

The 5.5 inch long flash hiders welded onto 11.5 inch barrels, is a legal option to avoid the gun being an SBR.

The 2.5 inch flash hiders welded onto 14.5 "M4" length barrels, is a legal option to avoid the gun being an SBR.

A flash hider welded on the barrel on a traditional "pre ban" AR would be legal under MA AW ban. (not sure why you'd do it)

A flash hider welded on the barrel on a traditional "post ban" AR not legal under MA AW ban.

A flash hider welded on the barrel of an otherwise "feature less" AR would be legal under MA AW ban. (flash hider would then be your 1 evil feature)

I think you answered my question. I was referring to a factory compliant 'post ban' AR, e.g. a SW M&P (which has no muzzle brake). If you took that M&P, and welded on a flash hider, that would be illegal, correct?

I think you answered my question. I was referring to a factory compliant 'post ban' AR, e.g. a SW M&P (which has no muzzle brake). If you took that M&P, and welded on a flash hider, that would be illegal, correct?

correct adding a flash hider to a traditional post ban AR would not be legal (welded or not) as it would be your second evil feature; pistol grip and flash hider

OP if I were you, I would make sure you are in compliance immediately. The Massachusetts State Police Flash Hider Squad are going door to door ensuring that your muzzle brake is not a flash hider. They are testing them too. If your muzzle brake decreases flash by two units of potato expect to be locked up foreverz. Consequences will never be the same.

Unfortunately some of you on this forum have caused doubt in your ability to recognize sarcasm so let there be the full disclosure that this is not legal advice

Luckily I did not purchase any questionable firearms. However, I did purchase a Techtron Flash Quantifier (TFQ), which not only measure flash in units of potato, but also has modes to measure in other standards in different states (such as units of scary (NY), units of yahoo (CT) and units of nonsense (CA). I'd advise all to pick up this high quality device.

Mass law specifically says "Flash hider" as one of the evil features. To have at least some kind of legal defense, you'd be better off finding something only described as a muzzle break pinned to the barrel. Which would be my plan.

yeah, the barrel, well, upper assembly looks to have a flash hider screwed on so i guess im replacing it with something and pinning/welding. Sofa king gay!!!!!!!!!

There isn't really any clear legal definition. I go with if it is marketed as a flash hider avoid it. If it is marketed as a brake or compensator its OK. And it needs to be permanently attached. If it is a standard A2 flash hider I'd avoid it in MA.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

To add to the chaos, does the brake need to be pinned to the barrel and then the pin welded to the brake, the brake pinned to the barrel and the brake welded to the barrel, or the brake welded to the barrel and then pinned to any particular unspecified object? Is there any specification as to what the pin is (length, diameter, material, depth it must be seated to, etc) and how it needs to be installed? Is a true weld used or is it silver solder?

Can a press fit brake be used if the barrel isn't threaded or does that also have to be pinned and welded?

To add to the chaos, does the brake need to be pinned to the barrel and then the pin welded to the brake, the brake pinned to the barrel and the brake welded to the barrel, or the brake welded to the barrel and then pinned to any particular unspecified object? Is there any specification as to what the pin is (length, diameter, material, depth it must be seated to, etc) and how it needs to be installed? Is a true weld used or is it silver solder?

Can a press fit brake be used if the barrel isn't threaded or does that also have to be pinned and welded?

There is no law that says a muzzle break must be pinned and welded. Any legal muzzle device must be "permanently fixed" to the barrel. You can pin it or you can weld it, or you can pin and weld it, as long as you can't just unscrew it.

If you're in Mass, take a look at the PWS FSC 556... legally it's considered a muzzle brake, but it provides a reasonable amount of flash suppression as well.

Can someone give me an idea of what the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash hider are, other than how they are marketed. A picture of each and why they are illegal or not in this moronic state would help. Thanks.

correct adding a flash hider to a traditional post ban AR would not be legal (welded or not) as it would be your second evil feature; pistol grip and flash hider

Don't you mean it would be the THIRD evil feature. You are allowed to have 2 evil features - specifically the pistol grip and the detachable magazine would be the 2 you are allowed. Once the third comes in (flash hider, collapsible stock, bayo lug.... etc... ) then it becomes non compliant.

Can someone give me an idea of what the difference between a muzzle brake and a flash hider are, other than how they are marketed. A picture of each and why they are illegal or not in this moronic state would help. Thanks.
Generally speaking a brake will have a bore that is basically roughly the same diameter all the way through, but vents to drive the gas up and/or left and right to offset the natural muzzle rise.

A flash hider will have a cavity that is much larger in diameter than the projectile and/or conical, growing larger as you move away form the barrel. It may also have vents to compensate for muzzle rise.

These are generalizations, the ultimate determination is/was made by the ATF and there are devices which deviate from what I described above, but will generally state in their description that they are ATF approved or determined to be a non-flash hider.

Last edited:
Don't you mean it would be the THIRD evil feature. You are allowed to have 2 evil features - specifically the pistol grip and the detachable magazine would be the 2 you are allowed. Once the third comes in (flash hider, collapsible stock, bayo lug.... etc... ) then it becomes non compliant.

The detachable magazine is a prerequisite to being an AW, it's not one of the "evil features". A rifle is an AW if it has a detachable mag and 2 or more "evil features". Detachable mag + pistol grip + flash hider = AW.

A rifle with no detachable mag can have as many evil features as you want.

"Assault Weapon" Facts and Information for MA Residents

P.S. why they are illegal is because idiots like Feinstein defined the federal AWB evil features without having any clue what things did other than describing the ban to cover weapons in common use at the time so as to ban them in direct contradiction to the constitution and legal precedent, but that is a matter for another lawsuit. [wink]

Last edited:
The detachable magazine is a prerequisite to being an AW, it's not one of the "evil features". A rifle is an AW if it has a detachable mag and 2 or more "evil features". Detachable mag + pistol grip + flash hider = AW.

A rifle with no detachable mag can have as many evil features as you want.

"Assault Weapon" Facts and Information for MA Residents

Ahhh... I see. Thanks... So something like an M1 Garand can have all the evil killy features then? Technically there is no detachable mag...

best part about my YHM muzzle brake....
it's a C.H. too wide for the standard bayonet to fit over..... so losing the lug doesn't hurt *as* much.....

ETA and if i forced a bayo on..... i wouldn't be able to get it back off... and wouldn't need a lug!

Back
Top Bottom