• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pin Shooting Duels

SA John

Banned
Recently shot out at Woodsman's in Athol where they shoot pins using an 8-man dueling system. This is different from what I'm used to at the New Hampshire shoots where it's total pin fall with ties at the end being determined by head-to-head shootoffs. I like both systems, but I must admit that I like the dueling format better. It makes you shoot faster because to lose one match is to put you out of the relay. More tension, harder to shoot well. There's also more hooting on each other. I think it's a better way to do it. Never have I made more bad shots than I did at Woodsman's. Optical sights are not only allowed, they seem to be encouraged. More shooters than not had then on their firearms. I only use iron sights and found the level of competition to be considerably better than what I've encountered further east. I plan to shoot Winchendon this Sunday and will leave the SA revolver at home and bring two 1911s. Those boys weren't much bothered by my cowboy gun - several were too fast with their glass-sighted auto guns. I've learned something. Pistol Pete won't be able to get the smile off his face.

SA John

I like the dueling system, overall, then again I haven't shot pins any
other way.

The only downside of this system, if someone is a newb and is trying to get started, and they don't shoot well, they will get soaked the $3 on every relay. Those are the breaks though, I guess. [laugh] The first year I shot pins I sucked so bad that I almost paid out the max every time. Course there is some redemption in the fact that those who lose quickly often expend less ammo overall, depending on who they have you lined up
against.

I use a compensated 1911 "mutt gun" (it has a mismash of parts on it) with a Trashco optic on it, but the fact that it's compensated is more important, as it makes the follow-ups go a lot faster. For the first couple of years though I just had an uncompensated 1911 with a magwell and a fiber front on it... worked well enough, most of the time. I've found the "compensators and television sets" to help though once someone starts getting advanced. I also bring at least one back up gun of some kind, which is basically just about anything in .45. Usually I just bring my S+W 945 PC commander or something like that.

With any luck I -WILL- be at Winchendon. I had to miss the last Athol shoot, and that sucked, and now I have
plenty of ammo ready... this should be fun. [laugh]

-Mike

Pistol Pete won't be able to get the smile off his face.

SA John

HAHA this is too funny. Shooting accurately is one thing but shooting accurately very quickly is another ball park... Shooting accurately and quickly while moving is on another level. HAHA...

So how did you do?

One of these days I'll make it to one of these shoots if they are shooting steel. As I mentioned before I'm not a big fan of bowling pins.

Well John I hope you went to the line with a full wheel. Not like you did up in Chester last week with only three rounds! :O)

Back
Top Bottom