• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pin and Weld

Old Glory Guns and Ammo did the comp work on an A4 upper of mine. The pinning was clean and it was micro-welded.
Had 'em do another for an El Cheapo AR build and the brake was timed at a 10 degree angle. Weld was a bead that time.

Agreed! Very happy with how it came out. He had the old brake off (milled out the old weld and pin) and this one on same day. Overall, quick and done right.
Same day! I'll have to keep him in mind next time I need one done. I've been to the store in the Mill they had a year or two ago. MAGA arms did a P and W for me.

How would anyone know if you've pin and welded a muzzle brake? Is there an inspection sticker required? Unless you are caught using your firearm in a crime, who would know? I always wondered about this. I never mutilated any firearm when I was in MA and it's irrelevant now that I have escaped. Just curious....

How would anyone know if you've pin and welded a muzzle brake? Is there an inspection sticker required? Unless you are caught using your firearm in a crime, who would know? I always wondered about this. I never mutilated any firearm when I was in MA and it's irrelevant now that I have escaped. Just curious....

They don't, it's mostly just mental pampers for MA gun owners etc. Presumably the idea is if the state tried to whack you with an AWB charge at least when the authorities started messing around with the gun, the evidence of the p&w would be left behind..... they wouldn't be able to pull a fast one on you by taking the brake/device off and claiming that you had extra evil features without leaving damage.

They don't, it's mostly just mental pampers for MA gun owners etc. Presumably the idea is if the state tried to whack you with an AWB charge at least when the authorities started messing around with the gun, the evidence of the p&w would be left behind..... they wouldn't be able to pull a fast one on you by taking the brake/device off and claiming that you had extra evil features without leaving damage.

Yessir, basically pin and weld will leave quite a gash of ruined threads worth of evidence. MA doesn't give us any case law or guidance on this, so seems like most people who want to play it safe, go with pin and weld. It's worth mentioning that red loctite, without heating it up with a torch, is really hard and there is a high likleyhood of ravaging the threads if you try and take it off by brute force.

Yessir, basically pin and weld will leave quite a gash of ruined threads worth of evidence. MA doesn't give us any case law or guidance on this, so seems like most people who want to play it safe, go with pin and weld. It's worth mentioning that red loctite, without heating it up with a torch, is really hard and there is a high likleyhood of ravaging the threads if you try and take it off by brute force.
The justification behind the red lock tight is, it is advertised as permanent, that is the way your muzzle device need to be attached and there are many ways to accomplish this.
Henkel chemical company is a 20+ billion dollar a year company, their legal and marketing team knows better than you or I what permanent is.

Always thought Rock Set was better for this purpose than loctite red. .

What say NES?

Yes pin and weld is the gold standard. Just asking.

Always thought Rock Set was better for this purpose than loctite red. .

What say NES?

Yes pin and weld is the gold standard. Just asking.
From Rocksett product description,

Rocksett withstands oil, fuels, acids, alkalis. Can only be removed by a hot water soak.

they make no claim of permanence.

Red locktite is far from permanent, I’ve yet to come across a bolt , nut, or muzzle devise that wouldn’t come off with minimal effort

Rust is more “permanent” than 262 or 271 locktite

From Rocksett product description,

Rocksett withstands oil, fuels, acids, alkalis. Can only be removed by a hot water soak.

they make no claim of permanence.
I got a sample from a company with a muzzle brake. So seemed like an option

I got a sample from a company with a muzzle brake. So seemed like an option
I think it is widely used and recommended, in the free world for suppressor attachment muzzle devices and such, it secures the device and can easily be removed if needed but wont unscrew by hand, In reality a pin and weld or silver solder is pretty easy to remove also... but like red lock tight will require some tools to do so

my experience with suppressor muzzle devices / mounts has been that rocksett is way harder to remove than any form of loctite.

Red locktite is far from permanent, I’ve yet to come across a bolt , nut, or muzzle devise that wouldn’t come off with minimal effort

Rust is more “permanent” than 262 or 271 locktite
Properly applied 620 will damage the barrel or upper if you try to remove the muzzle device without heat
Problem is it will still leave undamaged threads behind so they will go after you.

However one could probably get away with using a "permanent" grade thread locker and putting an obvious weld bead on the muzzle device.
Would pass visual but still allow replacement with medium heat application.

Yessir, basically pin and weld will leave quite a gash of ruined threads worth of evidence. MA doesn't give us any case law or guidance on this, so seems like most people who want to play it safe, go with pin and weld. It's worth mentioning that red Loctite, without heating it up with a torch, is really hard and there is a high likelihood of ravaging the threads if you try and take it off by brute force.

The justification behind the red lock tight is, it is advertised as permanent, that is the way your muzzle device need to be attached and there are many ways to accomplish this.
Henkel chemical company is a 20+ billion dollar a year company, their legal and marketing team knows better than you or I what permanent is.
I thought Maura had said that none of the longstanding "compliance" rules matter anymore and that all of us AR & AK owners are "felons in waiting" just waiting for her to take the next step and jail us all. Has that changed? 🤔

And in regard to "permanence"... I don't see how pin and weld is any more "permanent" than red Loctite. They can both be undone with enough time and effort. Has anyone gone to jail yet for merely red Loctiting a muzzle device? Bueller? Bueller? o_O

Has that changed
not really.
the one and only practical benefit of a proper lock and pin is that it makes you stop tinkering with a damn thing to try out an every damn muzzle brake on the market.

if that ruger sfar was not pinned by the ffl i got it from it would probably be on a 4th-5th iteration of a different brake now. but, alas, it was pinned and i just shoot it 'as is'. :)

Many years ago I had a few uppers pinned and welded and one setup I wanted, I had to change plans , because the gunsmith said he couldn't weld Aluminum onto the Steel, or maybe it was he couldn't weld Stainless steel and aluminum.

Anyone know what combinations I can consider. Thanks

These are the different listings i am choosing from. Carbon steel. Staonless steel and aluminum.

CNC Machined High Quality Steel
Heat Treated
Machined From Carbon Steel C1045 Heat Treated

Aluminum Muzzle Brake Compensator Anodized Black
Aluminum 6082 T6 Tan Anodized Competition
Material: High Quality Aircraft Grade Aluminum

Machined From 303 Stainless Stainless Steel Finish

Hey Chris, To avoid another doorbell encounter please make sure you check their posted hours before going to the shop. We don't need another gun shop getting fired on their day off.

I soooo sent you that song back then in that instance. (f***ing autocorrect!!!)

Lol.

Where is @PioneerHD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom